Jan. 2014 Examiners Unite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

misplacedshadow

Underclass Hero
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

Anyone here postpone their exam to or are planning to take the exam on January 2014? It's the final year in the old format without the new psychology/biochemistry section.

My reason for postponing to January is because I got a bit too lazy in the studying process and will be starting a new job soon, so my September date is too soon for me to be ready to tackle the beast. So I postponed to January. Anyone else out there in a similar situation, any way if there is we have about 5 months of studying to do for this exam.

I plan on starting tonight. Let's try to inspire, motivate, offer a shoulder to cry on, and give advice to our fellow peers who have postponed their exam to Jan or will plan to register in Jan.

Please don't act negatively towards your fellow sdners, or kick them when they are down. I know this happens a lot here in these forums. Keep your bad comments to yourself because we are all friends here. 🙂


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
Haha, I have no idea, but that's real dedication/OCD. I hope you figured it out!!

Haha I try, I got a hold of an AAMC practice exam it's Times New Roman. Is anyone else using Spinach's practice test/exam schedule? I'm doing a few months of content review and then depending on what I get on my first AAMC practice exam I'm going to try Spinach's method.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha I try, I got a hold of an AAMC practice exam it's Times New Roman. Is anyone else using Spinach's practice test/exam schedule? I'm doing a few months of content review and then depending on what I get on my first AAMC practice exam I'm going to try Spinach's method.

If anyone is interested in subscribing to The Economist to help with verbal passages, SlickDeals has a deal for students: $49/year. Not sure if this includes digital access in addition to print.
https://slickdeals.net/f/6236766-Magazines-ESPN-4-50-LIVE-NOW-The-Economist-51-or-49-LIVE-NOW-Bloomberg-BusinessWeek-12-99-Fri-TBD-Sat-Maxim-3-99-Sun-Muscle-Fitness-4-50-Mon


If anyone is interested in The New Yorker, here is a link to get it for $1 an issue. You can pick between $25 for 25 issues or $50 for 50 issues.

https://w1.buysub.com/pubs/N3/NYR/self_ins0113_1issue.jsp?cds_page_id=117038&cds_mag_code=NYR&id=1378399079041&lsid=32481123446049403&vid=6&cds_response_key=J3HNC1


Also guys if you go to their website and create an account you can get 47 issues for $40.
 
Last edited:
1/3 means doing 1/3 of the passages at the end of the chapter.

There are usually 10 - 12 passages after each chapter. So you can go 1,4,7,etc.

Also if you look at the last page before the start of those passages, I believe it clearly defines which passages you should do for Phase 1, etc.

I have not seen the 4 month schedule & I suspect that some of the details "may be" taken out because SN2ed either assume you are all big boys/girls and can look at the original schedule to check it out or he did not have time to type in all the details. He is too damn busy in med school.

In the 3 months plan, if you click on individual daily event, another windows comes up showing a description field where SN2ed put in details related to that event. There is where the 1/3 was explained.
It simply said do questions/passages 1,4,7 for first 1/3....do 2,5,8 for second 1/3......do 3,6,9 for the last 1/3.

Well, you get the idea.

Thanks for the comments, guys. As i think I stated in my previous post, I have TPR. TPR actually doesn't have multiple passages at the end of each chapter. There are only a handful of freestanding questions and then one passage. However, i do have the hyperlearning book as well which has tons of questions/passages.

Thanks again.

Also, I think one of your locations said Philly. Not sure which one of you it was, but Philly is incredible. Go Owls.

If anyone is interested in subscribing to The Economist to help with verbal passages, SlickDeals has a deal for students: $49/year. Not sure if this includes digital access in addition to print.
https://slickdeals.net/f/6236766-Magazines-ESPN-4-50-LIVE-NOW-The-Economist-51-or-49-LIVE-NOW-Bloomberg-BusinessWeek-12-99-Fri-TBD-Sat-Maxim-3-99-Sun-Muscle-Fitness-4-50-Mon

I've heard mixed things about using the Economist (as i'm sure many of us have). Anyway, can't you just look at articles online?
 
Hey can anyone share an ical file of the 4 month schedule starting tomorrow? Basically with a dec 25 test date. I was never able to get calibrate or any other shift programs working. Thanks.

Hey Fight!
Here you go. It took me a little while to figure out CaliBrate but, I now know how this works! Here's the Mac compatible ICAL and you can access the calendar online HERE. Feel free to hit me up if you need any changes to the calendar. Btw, I intend to test sometime in March / April time frame.
 
I'm also a Jan 2014 MCAT taker. I will be starting my content review in full force on Monday. I just subscribed to the New Yorker for 6 months. I know my biggest weakness is Physics and Verbal. It's been over 5 years since I've taken Physics so I'm dedicating 3 weeks to content review, more if needed. The other subjects will get 2 weeks, again, more if needed. I plan on doing just FL's in December and light review going into Jan. I have TBR, EK, TPRH science and verbal wkbk, Wiki-Pre-med, and I'm planning on ordering Chad's videos as well. I'm still deciding on which FLs to get. Happy studying, everyone!
 
Also taking the exam in Jan. Read over all of the EK Books a couple of times, but still having some issues with Chem, so I'm going to pick up TBR series soon. Wish their ordering system wasn't so archaic though.

Can anyone recommend an FL (Non AAMC) that I can take just to get a gauge of where I'm at?
Thanks!
 
Also taking the exam in Jan. Read over all of the EK Books a couple of times, but still having some issues with Chem, so I'm going to pick up TBR series soon. Wish their ordering system wasn't so archaic though.

Can anyone recommend an FL (Non AAMC) that I can take just to get a gauge of where I'm at?
Thanks!

I Think Kaplan anTPR have a free FL online.
 
What have you guys found to be the best resource for Organic Chemistry? I just finished reding the first chapter of BR and I honestly don't know what to think of it lol. I feel like it spent too much time on small details and not enough on broader concepts. And I still don't have a good understanding of some of the material discussed.

I own PR and ExamCrackers. Should I refer to one of those instead?

A little background info, I finished both Orgo I and II last year and received As in both courses. But, it has been a while since I have studied the material.
 
What have you guys found to be the best resource for Organic Chemistry? I just finished reding the first chapter of BR and I honestly don't know what to think of it lol. I feel like it spent too much time on small details and not enough on broader concepts. And I still don't have a good understanding of some of the material discussed.

I own PR and ExamCrackers. Should I refer to one of those instead?

A little background info, I finished both Orgo I and II last year and received As in both courses. But, it has been a while since I have studied the material.

I would recommend you stick with TBR and supplement with Chad's Orgo videos. Do a quick read through a BR chapter, and then watch the corresponding Chad video, then do passages. It's a solid combination.
 
I had no idea this thread existed! I also plan to take the exam in January. Right now I'm taking 11 credit hours (orgo II and stats) while doing research. I stopped volunteering in the hospital to get more study hours. I plan to take the TBR course. Anyone have any idea if the $1800 is worth it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had no idea this thread existed! I also plan to take the exam in January. Right now I'm taking 11 credit hours (orgo II and stats) while doing research. I stopped volunteering in the hospital to get more study hours. I plan to take the TBR course. Anyone have any idea if the $1800 is worth it?
I honestly don't think any of the prep courses are worth it. If you are motivated to study then save yourself some money and study on your own. There are a lot of resources out there that cost way less than $1800.
 
Hey, guys. Just wondering if anyone could give me some insight on the subscription duration for Chad's videos. I'm debating between the 90 and 180 day. I'm pretty sure I'll be done with content review by the 90 day mark, but what if I want to use them for some review in January? Do you think it's worth the extra $50? (90 days for $100 or 180 days for $150)
 
Hey, guys. Just wondering if anyone could give me some insight on the subscription duration for Chad's videos. I'm debating between the 90 and 180 day. I'm pretty sure I'll be done with content review by the 90 day mark, but what if I want to use them for some review in January? Do you think it's worth the extra $50? (90 days for $100 or 180 days for $150)

Just get the 90 day subscription. Take good notes, and you probably wont need to use them again to review.
 
I honestly don't think any of the prep courses are worth it. If you are motivated to study then save yourself some money and study on your own. There are a lot of resources out there that cost way less than $1800.

My problem is that I'm afraid that if I come up with my own schedule, I might not stick by it or be behind a few weeks. Also, I dont think I know enough physics to go about it on my own (I didnt learn anything from lecture when I took it).
 
Well I got a 26 on my first practice exam last week, AAMC 3 (8/10/8) so it looks like ill be voiding my September 12 exam and retaking in January! I haven't taken any other FL's because a month ago I got selected for jury duty during my mcat and was waiting to see if my request for postponement was approved by the judge before I used any more CBT's. I was afraid I would be wasting them if it turned out my request was denied, and I only got the approval letter last week. Anyway I need a 30+ and since my 26 was on the easiest test (AAMC 3), I figure I'm way behind.

What sucks is that I start weaning off morphine the week after my mcat so that's going to make for some tough re-studying circumstances :/. Ive been on it since I broke and dislocated my neck in college gymnastics last fall, and earlier this summer my doctor suggested I wait to get off the medication til after my MCAT because he says ill have withdrawals or something. (For the record I'm not a drug addict, I had complications from the metal hard wear they put in my neck, and it was my decision to come off the morphine in the first place). Anyway at least I already decided to take this semester off since I didn't want to screw my GPA with the medication transition stuff, so hopefully ill be good to go for January!

I haven't told anyone that I'm voiding yet :/ my family is not going to be happy about it. Anyone else have trouble telling people that they are voiding or retaking? I don't know how to make people understand that I cant just take the test if I'm not ready. Everyone's going to think I'm slacking off or didn't try hard enough. "You had three months to study for one test, how are you possibly not ready? What were you doing for the past 3 months then if you weren't actually studying?". How do you make people get that this isn't a normal test, and that you can truly work hard and still not be ready when test day comes? I had to self teach organic II and physics II since I had to drop those classes after my accident and I honestly tried my hardest for this test date! I know I can get a 30 if I have a little more time to study and take more practice tests but no ones going to get that. Its so frustrating. I know its stupid to care so much what people think but seriously, after putting in so much work this summer it is SO irritating to be told I didn't try hard enough.

This time around I'm not telling anyone my test date
 
Well I got a 26 on my first practice exam last week, AAMC 3 (8/10/8) so it looks like ill be voiding my September 12 exam and retaking in January! I haven't taken any other FL's because a month ago I got selected for jury duty during my mcat and was waiting to see if my request for postponement was approved by the judge before I used any more CBT's. I was afraid I would be wasting them if it turned out my request was denied, and I only got the approval letter last week. Anyway I need a 30+ and since my 26 was on the easiest test (AAMC 3), I figure I'm way behind.

What sucks is that I start weaning off morphine the week after my mcat so that's going to make for some tough re-studying circumstances :/. Ive been on it since I broke and dislocated my neck in college gymnastics last fall, and earlier this summer my doctor suggested I wait to get off the medication til after my MCAT because he says ill have withdrawals or something. (For the record I'm not a drug addict, I had complications from the metal hard wear they put in my neck, and it was my decision to come off the morphine in the first place). Anyway at least I already decided to take this semester off since I didn't want to screw my GPA with the medication transition stuff, so hopefully ill be good to go for January!

I haven't told anyone that I'm voiding yet :/ my family is not going to be happy about it. Anyone else have trouble telling people that they are voiding or retaking? I don't know how to make people understand that I cant just take the test if I'm not ready. Everyone's going to think I'm slacking off or didn't try hard enough. "You had three months to study for one test, how are you possibly not ready? What were you doing for the past 3 months then if you weren't actually studying?". How do you make people get that this isn't a normal test, and that you can truly work hard and still not be ready when test day comes? I had to self teach organic II and physics II since I had to drop those classes after my accident and I honestly tried my hardest for this test date! I know I can get a 30 if I have a little more time to study and take more practice tests but no ones going to get that. Its so frustrating. I know its stupid to care so much what people think but seriously, after putting in so much work this summer it is SO irritating to be told I didn't try hard enough.

This time around I'm not telling anyone my test date

You have my upmost respect...your dedication and determination under these situation....

Brush it off what people think temparary. Your shining score will speak by itself....good luck and fighting. 👍👍

Your VR is already at 10.....I am betting on your at least 35 since you have 4 months to "train".
 
Just curious, from this point on, what is your study strategy?

I am not sure yet. I am going to sit for the September 12th exam, and then void it so that I get a sense of what it will be like in January. I am going to take at least two weeks off (Palm Springs and beach camping) because I am so burnt out right now. I was studying literally all day, everyday, since August 15th in order to get ready for the September exam. Initially, I was going to only shoot for D.O. schools, so a 30 would have been adequate. However, after thinking about it, I know myself and know I would LOVE to go to an MD school. Therefore, I need to shoot for 35 because of my low GPA (3.3).

When doing content review, I was using Chad's Videos and Berkeley Review (BR). I only used 1/3 of the BR passages, so over the next four months I will be completing the last 2/3 of the passages. Also, I have all four of the ExamKrackers (EK) 1001 books. I am going to do EVERY PROBLEM in them. I realize people say that the EK 1001 questions are not in the same format as the MCAT, however, they are good for drilling concepts into your head. Since I already know most of the science (was scoring 11-12 in sciences on practice exams), I feel that if I put four more months into them, I can score 13-14 in the sciences.

Verbal is another story for me. I find verbal extremely difficult. Started at a 6 on practice AAMC 3, ended with a high of 8 on AAMC 4-9. I honestly didn't do too much prep for verbal because I was so focused on the sciences. I only completed about 70 passages. I still have a ton to do and I know that I can raise my score with practice.

Overall my study plan is this:

Verbal:
Read lots of philosophy and humanities articles in magazines and books. I am horrible at those passages and need to get my reading comprehension up. Then, I will complete the rest of the old version of the EK 101 Verbal (60 questions per practice exam). Once that is complete, I will get the newer version of EK Verbal (40 question exams) and do that book. Once that is complete, I will finish with the TPRH Verbal workbook.

Sciences:
Go through the BR books again completing all passages and making sure I know everything. Also, complete all the 1001 questions.

For biology I was using ExamKrackers. Honestly, EK is enough in my opinion to score 10-11. However, if you wanna score higher than that I would get the BR book and do lots of BR biology passages. That is one thing that I didn't do and it hurt me because I hadn't had lots of practice with biology passages. I think I might also use BR to do my biology review because it is way more in depth than EK.

Well there is your SHORT answer of what I will be focusing on. Good luck! :luck:👍
 
I'm also taking the exam in January. I have just started Princeton Review online. I also just finished Examkrackers 101 Verbal and will begin reviewing both NOVA Physics and The Berkley Review Physics. I feel Physics and Verbal are my weakest areas.
 
My problem is that I'm afraid that if I come up with my own schedule, I might not stick by it or be behind a few weeks. Also, I dont think I know enough physics to go about it on my own (I didnt learn anything from lecture when I took it).

I took the TBR course. The thing about that course is that you HAVE to stay on top of everything. If you don't think you can stick to your own schedule, then you MOST LIKELY won't stick to theirs because it's very intense. They will teach you some good MCAT physics, but it's up to you to make sure you put in the time to learn it. If you are really weak on concepts, I think you have to hit the books hard regardless.
 
I'm also taking the exam in January. I have just started Princeton Review online. I also just finished Examkrackers 101 Verbal and will begin reviewing both NOVA Physics and The Berkley Review Physics. I feel Physics and Verbal are my weakest areas.

Same here. I heard NOVA is great. U used BR and it was fine except for I felt that the electro stuff and lenses was kinda vague
 
I am not sure yet. I am going to sit for the September 12th exam, and then void it so that I get a sense of what it will be like in January. I am going to take at least two weeks off (Palm Springs and beach camping) because I am so burnt out right now. I was studying literally all day, everyday, since August 15th in order to get ready for the September exam. Initially, I was going to only shoot for D.O. schools, so a 30 would have been adequate. However, after thinking about it, I know myself and know I would LOVE to go to an MD school. Therefore, I need to shoot for 35 because of my low GPA (3.3).

When doing content review, I was using Chad's Videos and Berkeley Review (BR). I only used 1/3 of the BR passages, so over the next four months I will be completing the last 2/3 of the passages. Also, I have all four of the ExamKrackers (EK) 1001 books. I am going to do EVERY PROBLEM in them. I realize people say that the EK 1001 questions are not in the same format as the MCAT, however, they are good for drilling concepts into your head. Since I already know most of the science (was scoring 11-12 in sciences on practice exams), I feel that if I put four more months into them, I can score 13-14 in the sciences.

Verbal is another story for me. I find verbal extremely difficult. Started at a 6 on practice AAMC 3, ended with a high of 8 on AAMC 4-9. I honestly didn't do too much prep for verbal because I was so focused on the sciences. I only completed about 70 passages. I still have a ton to do and I know that I can raise my score with practice.

Overall my study plan is this:

Verbal:
Read lots of philosophy and humanities articles in magazines and books. I am horrible at those passages and need to get my reading comprehension up. Then, I will complete the rest of the old version of the EK 101 Verbal (60 questions per practice exam). Once that is complete, I will get the newer version of EK Verbal (40 question exams) and do that book. Once that is complete, I will finish with the TPRH Verbal workbook.

Sciences:
Go through the BR books again completing all passages and making sure I know everything. Also, complete all the 1001 questions.

For biology I was using ExamKrackers. Honestly, EK is enough in my opinion to score 10-11. However, if you wanna score higher than that I would get the BR book and do lots of BR biology passages. That is one thing that I didn't do and it hurt me because I hadn't had lots of practice with biology passages. I think I might also use BR to do my biology review because it is way more in depth than EK.

Well there is your SHORT answer of what I will be focusing on. Good luck! :luck:👍

TBR Bio is too much in my opinion. I would go with TPR Bio and probably passages from either TBR or TPR SW, or both. EK is indeed crappy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Joining you guys on taking the test in january. Cancelled my September test date, because of the time it took to get accustomed to my new job after college. I am going to try the SN2 schedule starting tomorrow. Good luck to everyone!
 
Joining this post, glad to see many non-trad grads who have similar situation like me. Currently having 3 jobs (1 Full, 1 weekend part-time, 1 morning internship). Cutting down the part-time to study full force for upcoming Jan. I had trouble the most with VB (ESL student so it's obvious). Register for Sep 12th but will sit through the test and void the score. Already made my studying schedule and finished reviewing Bio, and 2/3 of Orgo when I was trying to push for the Sept 12th exam. Will come back to this post often to see how is studying for everyone. Very glad to see so many of us who refused to GIVE UP, I am proud to have a full time job to help my family and continue pursuing my dream.
 
Joining this post, glad to see many non-trad grads who have similar situation like me. Currently having 3 jobs (1 Full, 1 weekend part-time, 1 morning internship). Cutting down the part-time to study full force for upcoming Jan. I had trouble the most with VB (ESL student so it's obvious). Register for Sep 12th but will sit through the test and void the score. Already made my studying schedule and finished reviewing Bio, and 2/3 of Orgo when I was trying to push for the Sept 12th exam. Will come back to this post often to see how is studying for everyone. Very glad to see so many of us who refused to GIVE UP, I am proud to have a full time job to help my family and continue pursuing my dream.

Awesome! Looks like you did exactly what I did haha
 
I took the TBR course. The thing about that course is that you HAVE to stay on top of everything. If you don't think you can stick to your own schedule, then you MOST LIKELY won't stick to theirs because it's very intense. They will teach you some good MCAT physics, but it's up to you to make sure you put in the time to learn it. If you are really weak on concepts, I think you have to hit the books hard regardless.

Thanks! I don't think I'll be able to stick to my own schedule because I think I lack a bit of discipline, so being pushed almost everyday might help just a little.
 
So today was the first day of studying for me and I started it out by waking up way later than I wanted. But I still got about 4 hours of studying in. I'm starting with BR Physics and I ordered the 90-day subscription to Chad's videos (found a 15% discount 😀). I find that after reading BR Physics followed by Chad's videos really helps clear up some fog. Tomorrow I will review what I learned today and do some problems. Pretty bummed I ran out of studying time today because I had to work so I didn't get a chance to do any verbal passages 🙁
 
So today was the first day of studying for me and I started it out by waking up way later than I wanted. But I still got about 4 hours of studying in. I'm starting with BR Physics and I ordered the 90-day subscription to Chad's videos (found a 15% discount 😀). I find that after reading BR Physics followed by Chad's videos really helps clear up some fog. Tomorrow I will review what I learned today and do some problems. Pretty bummed I ran out of studying time today because I had to work so I didn't get a chance to do any verbal passages 🙁

Awesome. Good start. That's what I was doing as well (BR and Chads). It works well.
 
So today was the first day of studying for me and I started it out by waking up way later than I wanted. But I still got about 4 hours of studying in. I'm starting with BR Physics and I ordered the 90-day subscription to Chad's videos (found a 15% discount 😀). I find that after reading BR Physics followed by Chad's videos really helps clear up some fog. Tomorrow I will review what I learned today and do some problems. Pretty bummed I ran out of studying time today because I had to work so I didn't get a chance to do any verbal passages 🙁

Where did you get a coupon?
 
It's great seeing people work full time jobs, take part time classes, and still study for the MCAT. How is everyone holding up? I won't lie, sometimes I get a bit scared and think I won't be able to handle this very tight schedule. Anyone mind sharing what helps you stay encouraged? Thanks!
 
It's great seeing people work full time jobs, take part time classes, and still study for the MCAT. How is everyone holding up? I won't lie, sometimes I get a bit scared and think I won't be able to handle this very tight schedule. Anyone mind sharing what helps you stay encouraged? Thanks!

Although this is only my second day of studying. But I think having a consistent schedule really helps ie. wake up at the same time everyday. I think it also helps to prepare yourself mentally before starting. I do this by looking at my planner to see what I have to accomplish for the day and how much time I have to complete all the tasks. Most importantly, it's okay if you have a bad day and don't finish everything you wanted. We all do, just don't make it a habit. Hope this helps. Good luck and hang in there! We can do this!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's great seeing people work full time jobs, take part time classes, and still study for the MCAT. How is everyone holding up? I won't lie, sometimes I get a bit scared and think I won't be able to handle this very tight schedule. Anyone mind sharing what helps you stay encouraged? Thanks!


^^^

Take each day at a time. Focus on your weaknesses, and remember what your goals are 🙂
 
Hi fellow MCATers. Sooooo I started day 1 of the SN2 schedule yesterday (prepping for January test date) . It was such a drag. I HATE reading about kinematics and basic physics. I'm always telling myself this will not be on the MCAT.


How do you read the chapters that seem pointless. I could not focus. Anyone feel my pain?! lol 😴
 
Hi fellow MCATers. Sooooo I started day 1 of the SN2 schedule yesterday (prepping for January test date) . It was such a drag. I HATE reading about kinematics and basic physics. I'm always telling myself this will not be on the MCAT.


How do you read the chapters that seem pointless. I could not focus. Anyone feel my pain?! lol 😴

No pain no gain 😀
 
Anyone using TPR for Bio review? Which passages do you do after reading (as per SN2ed)? I studied chapter 2 from TPR (biochem) and tried to do the TBR passages that went with that and it went wayyyy over my head!!

Any advice?
 
Anyone using TPR for Bio review? Which passages do you do after reading (as per SN2ed)? I studied chapter 2 from TPR (biochem) and tried to do the TBR passages that went with that and it went wayyyy over my head!!

Any advice?

For that TPR biochem chapter you have to read TPR organic chapter 8 in conjunction. In the course they do both chapters together for the second biology lecture