JAN. acceptance at NYCPM- here's the deal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldybutgoody

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently interviewed at NYCMP and just received my acceptance for the Jan 2006 class. I'm not telling you this to toot my horn, rather i would like to make a point for all those interested in pursuing podiatric medicine. Although this is my first post on this site, i have been reading the threads and realized
that a lot of people are well.. how shall i dare say it? here goes.. AFRAID. Afraid to apply. and many who have applied fear the worst!!! why???

Listen, AS my name suggests, im no spring chicken. i graduated back in 1995 and i finally mustered up the courage to pursue the unpursuable(did i spell that correctly) medical education. this was something ive always wanted but never had the courage to go ahead with it. well ten years+ later + wife and 2 kids im stepping up to the plate. oh yah my wife is also in an RN program( year and a half to go) well sounds crazy right??? wrong!!! its crazy to be stuck in a job you dont love, its crazy to wake up in the morning and tell yourself " o.k, i have a job but im only doing it for the money"' -that is insane.

You have to love what you do so that you can be happy and more importantly so that you can be the best. How can you be number 1 if you're not crazy about what you do?

Just send in your applications, get the interview and put on your finest garments (i bought a brand new suit!!!! and my wedding tie- its 8 years old but a real beauty) and show them what you're made of. show them that you are number one. you'll be the best podiatric surgeon the world has yet seen!!!

dont be afraid. dont be afraid. Schools are looking to create a certain class environment that is composed of many and very differing personalities and character and chances are you are what they are looking for to help create that balance.

about the interview: in one word AWESOME!
Three people interviewed me: The Dean, clinical instructor, 3rd year student.

I MET WITH THE dEAN OF STUDENTS, Dr. Spilkin, and he's A-o.k we ended speaking about "stuff" for most of the time and then about the school etc...
you see, he just wanted to see my personality, character etc... hey all the applications are more less the same. its who you really are on a day to day routine that really makes the difference.

The other 2 interviewers where really good. The clinical prof. said she enjoyed my essays and even asked me about them. so no bull people. you will be asked to discuss it further.

3rd year student was really cool and laid back. he tells me that the reason why a student also interviews the candidates, is to give the candidates an opportunity to ask questions that they may not feel comfortable asking the other interviewers. Let me tell you, i think that's brilliant! this enable you to truly get a full picture of the school.

I'm not here to recruit for any specific program. i just wanted to give you my opinion. good luck to all and remember: YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE and its not such a long time.

feel free to ask any specific questions that you may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Very cool, I agree and am also excited to head back to school to do something that i really want to do! Im glad you had a good itnerview experience..I did too and they really are kinda fun...best of all, great excuse to spend money on a new suit! congrats and good luck

oldybutgoody said:
I recently interviewed at NYCMP and just received my acceptance for the Jan 2006 class. I'm not telling you this to toot my horn, rather i would like to make a point for all those interested in pursuing podiatric medicine. Although this is my first post on this site, i have been reading the threads and realized
that a lot of people are well.. how shall i dare say it? here goes.. AFRAID. Afraid to apply. and many who have applied fear the worst!!! why???

Listen, AS my name suggests, im no spring chicken. i graduated back in 1995 and i finally mustered up the courage to pursue the unpursuable(did i spell that correctly) medical education. this was something ive always wanted but never had the courage to go ahead with it. well ten years+ later + wife and 2 kids im stepping up to the plate. oh yah my wife is also in an RN program( year and a half to go) well sounds crazy right??? wrong!!! its crazy to be stuck in a job you dont love, its crazy to wake up in the morning and tell yourself " o.k, i have a job but im only doing it for the money"' -that is insane.

You have to love what you do so that you can be happy and more importantly so that you can be the best. How can you be number 1 if you're not crazy about what you do?

Just send in your applications, get the interview and put on your finest garments (i bought a brand new suit!!!! and my wedding tie- its 8 years old but a real beauty) and show them what you're made of. show them that you are number one. you'll be the best podiatric surgeon the world has yet seen!!!

dont be afraid. dont be afraid. Schools are looking to create a certain class environment that is composed of many and very differing personalities and character and chances are you are what they are looking for to help create that balance.

about the interview: in one word AWESOME!
Three people interviewed me: The Dean, clinical instructor, 3rd year student.

I MET WITH THE dEAN OF STUDENTS, Dr. Spilkin, and he's A-o.k we ended speaking about "stuff" for most of the time and then about the school etc...
you see, he just wanted to see my personality, character etc... hey all the applications are more less the same. its who you really are on a day to day routine that really makes the difference.

The other 2 interviewers where really good. The clinical prof. said she enjoyed my essays and even asked me about them. so no bull people. you will be asked to discuss it further.

3rd year student was really cool and laid back. he tells me that the reason why a student also interviews the candidates, is to give the candidates an opportunity to ask questions that they may not feel comfortable asking the other interviewers. Let me tell you, i think that's brilliant! this enable you to truly get a full picture of the school.

I'm not here to recruit for any specific program. i just wanted to give you my opinion. good luck to all and remember: YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE and its not such a long time.

feel free to ask any specific questions that you may have.

runnersfeet said:
Very cool, I agree and am also excited to head back to school to do something that i really want to do! Im glad you had a good itnerview experience..I did too and they really are kinda fun...best of all, great excuse to spend money on a new suit! congrats and good luck
runnersfeet: thanx for the reply. are you also planning on attending NYCMP this Jan?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I am deciding between AZPOD and Scholl - tough decisions. Enjoy NY!

oldybutgoody said:
runnersfeet: thanx for the reply. are you also planning on attending NYCMP this Jan?

Hey Oldybutgoody,
Congrats on getting into a program that you are, apparently, excited about. I am in a similar boat. I am also returning to school after a stretch in a very promising career in Hotel. It was promising but just not what I am about. I left that career and have returned to the life of poverty while my wife and 3 kids hang on for the ride.
I sent my application last night. I hope that everything goes well. I am a little concerned about the fact that I will not have graduated when I start. In your experience do you think that this will be a huge issue. I also have not yet taken the MCAT.
Again congrats on the acceptance

Ryan.

"YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE and its not such a long time."

While at the hotel I was at my desk and had an aha moment. In ten years I could either have my bosses position or be a doctor (something I have always wanted to do). I choose doctor.

PickledEels said:
Hey Oldybutgoody,
Congrats on getting into a program that you are, apparently, excited about. I am in a similar boat. I am also returning to school after a stretch in a very promising career in Hotel. It was promising but just not what I am about. I left that career and have returned to the life of poverty while my wife and 3 kids hang on for the ride.
I sent my application last night. I hope that everything goes well. I am a little concerned about the fact that I will not have graduated when I start. In your experience do you think that this will be a huge issue. I also have not yet taken the MCAT.
Again congrats on the acceptance

Ryan.

RYAN:

i think youve overcome the greatest obstacle:FEAR. fear of compromising the security of a stable job and thus living, only presently, in poverty.(hey poverty exists in 3rd world countries, not in the u.s)

before i embarked on this long voyage, i got the approval from the captain. yes, my wife. remember, we promised to support etc.....) so once that stamp of approval is shining on your forehead, youre good to go. and let me tell you, i commend a spouse that allows her husband take on such an endeavor, because everyone in the family is affected by this!!!

you say "I will not have graduated when I start" im assuming you havent earned an undergrad degree yet? if thats the case then i know that the schools require at least 90 credits of undergrad completed before matriculation. i dont know the stats on that (i.e how many have actually done this) but what i can tell you is to call them up and tell them exactly your situation and see what they say.BUT NOMATTER WHAT, CONTINUE WITH THE APPLICATION PROCESS.DONT LET ANYONE SCARE YOU OUT OF FOLLOWING COMPLETELY THROUGH WITH THE APPLICATION PROCESS. worse case scenario, you earn that undergard degree!!! and continue from there.youll learn so much from the schools and what they are looking for throughout this process

MCAT: man, didi i hate that test!!!. you have other alternatives. the schools accept the DAT and GRE. but its always good to run it by them just to know that you did. but you must have one of these tests done before you start. they can grant you an "acceptance on condition" that you take the test and score a ninimal #$%^& on the test. but it must be in their hands b/f school starts. that is my understanding. BUT againcheck it out with them..

good luck to you and hope to meet you one day at NYCPM.

Danny

runnersfeet said:
No, I am deciding between AZPOD and Scholl - tough decisions. Enjoy NY!

I'm actually in Chicago today looking at a fellowship in limb salvage. I toured Scholl and their gait lab. They have quite an impressive outfit here.

I definately would not attend NYCPM. I wish all those could tour the other schools. They would see what they're missing.

LCR

diabeticfootdr said:
I'm actually in Chicago today looking at a fellowship in limb salvage. I toured Scholl and their gait lab. They have quite an impressive outfit here.

I definately would not attend NYCPM. I wish all those could tour the other schools. They would see what they're missing.

LCR

How can you say that when you did not go there? You do not know what it is like to be a student somewhere unless you were a student there.

diabeticfootdr said:

LCR

what other school has a clinic that treats roughly 50,000 patients a year. NYCPM may noy have the aesthetics as the more modern facilites, but neither is 2/3rd of Manhattan built yesterday. its a very simple equation: the more people, the more feet. as my hero DR. SUESS says "more feet more feet, how many feet you meet" same goes for the residency programs. hey same goes for all the medical fields today. the more people the more practice.

they dont calll it the "big apple" for nothing! :thumbup:

Hey Danny:
Thanks for the input. I shot off my application this morning and am just holding on for the ride now. I hope to be getting some phone calls soon. Maybe even to NYCPM. It looks as though I will be making some phone calls of my own as well. If nothing else maybe to help the admissions folks to get my name in their head at least once more than just the application.
Ryan.

DR. SUESS says "more feet more feet, how many feet you meet"

another DR. SUESS favorite of mine "you don't like so you say, try it, try it and you may. Try it and you may I say"

Danny:
You guessed correctly. I have not recieved a Bachelor degree yet. I was under the false impression that it was a good idea to leave school in order to save up to go to school. 5 years later I was still fighting to find the time and $ to go.
How old are your kids. Mine 5, 3, and 3 months.
Ryan

Members don't see this ad :)
Hilarious! You have a good attitude about this whole thing. Your education is what you make of it and nobody...including Lee Rogers (previous post) should critisize some who is headed to a school that may not be his personal favorite. People need not comment on this forum if they can't be supportive of future pod students like you! NY is great...I just fit better at the schools where I am looking...but obviously that is a personal decision. Gotta love Dr. Suess!

oldybutgoody said:
what other school has a clinic that treats roughly 50,000 patients a year. NYCPM may noy have the aesthetics as the more modern facilites, but neither is 2/3rd of Manhattan built yesterday. its a very simple equation: the more people, the more feet. as my hero DR. SUESS says "more feet more feet, how many feet you meet" same goes for the residency programs. hey same goes for all the medical fields today. the more people the more practice.

oldybutgoody said:
what other school has a clinic that treats roughly 50,000 patients a year...the more people, the more feet...same goes for the residency programs.

I''ve never believed that quantity is better than quality. Take the NYCPM and affiliates residency as an example. Out of 18 spots for 2006, only 3 are for PM&S 36 slots. That's 3 total, not per year. Keep in mind that, although the rules are waved for residencies, the scope of practice for podiatrists in the state of New York is one of the worst in the nation, how many of those residents are really going to see quality surgeries on a regular basis?

One the other hand, compare that to the 4 slots available at Inova Fairfax where "Each resident can expect to scrub with more than 40 podiatric, and uniquely, an equal number of orthopedic surgical attendings, on over 1200 cases involving over 2400 procedures, of which more than 500 are in the reconstructive/ankle category."

Do you know what the Minimum Activity Volume is for a PM&S 36?

Case Activities
Inpatient cases (podiatric or non-podiatric) 75
Podiatric clinic/office encounters 1000
Podiatric surgical cases 300
Trauma cases 50
Podopediatric cases 25
Biomechanical cases 150

I know that the Inova residency blows the minimums away. I have no idea about NYCPM and affiliates, though, because they don't seem to publish their information. Don't you think it would be a good idea to know that information before assuming that more cases makes for a better residency?

krabmas said:
How can you say that when you did not go there? You do not know what it is like to be a student somewhere unless you were a student there.

I can say that because I have visited many of the schools (through APMSA) and now from recruiting for residency. As you know, I visited NYCPM a few weeks ago. My opinion of the facilities was less than satisfactory. NYCPM's only draw is that is in "The Big Apple". People have the misconception that something in NYC must be better than anywhere else.

Also, I have personally supervised students from all schools. And while there are some personally motivated NY students that have performed impressively, in my opinion NYCPM students are generally weaker.

Did you know NYCPM does not require a student to PASS Part II Boards before they graduate????

We have a resident in my program who graduated from NYCPM but did not pass the boards!!!???? Does NYCPM not care about this, or just how much money they can get from a student.

Statistics show (I'm a reviewer for Part I Boards), that if a student fails the boards they have a 94% chance of never passing. This means that these people will never practice!!!

Yes, 50,000 patients are nice. If 48,000 of them have onychomycosis (toenail fungus) and the students are used as work horses -- how is that beneficial to you????

The facilities at Temple, Scholl, and DMU are extraordinary. They are in large academic centers. There is real research being performed. They are technologically advanced. And the students I have seen, are very impressive.

People post on here for opinions ...... these are mine ...... take 'em or leave 'em.

LCR

scpod said:
I''ve never believed that quantity is better than quality. Take the NYCPM and affiliates residency as an example. Out of 18 spots for 2006, only 3 are for PM&S 36 slots. That's 3 total, not per year. Keep in mind that, although the rules are waved for residencies, the scope of practice for podiatrists in the state of New York is one of the worst in the nation, how many of those residents are really going to see quality surgeries on a regular basis?

One the other hand, compare that to the 4 slots available at Inova Fairfax where "Each resident can expect to scrub with more than 40 podiatric, and uniquely, an equal number of orthopedic surgical attendings, on over 1200 cases involving over 2400 procedures, of which more than 500 are in the reconstructive/ankle category."

Case Activities
Trauma cases 50
Podopediatric cases 25
Biomechanical cases 150

I know that the Inova residency blows the minimums away. I have no idea about NYCPM and affiliates, though, because they don't seem to publish their information. Don't you think it would be a good idea to know that information before assuming that more cases makes for a better residency?

I was unaware of a podiatry school in Virginia. We are talking about schools - the first 4 years of podiatry education not residency. A student from NYCPM can do a residency anywhere in the country as can any other student from any other podiatry school.

diabeticfootdr said:
I can say that because I have visited many of the schools (through APMSA) and now from recruiting for residency. As you know, I visited NYCPM a few weeks ago. My opinion of the facilities was less than satisfactory. NYCPM's only draw is that is in "The Big Apple". People have the misconception that something in NYC must be better than anywhere else.

Also, I have personally supervised students from all schools. And while there are some personally motivated NY students that have performed impressively, in my opinion NYCPM students are generally weaker.

Did you know NYCPM does not require a student to PASS Part II Boards before they graduate????

We have a resident in my program who graduated from NYCPM but did not pass the boards!!!???? Does NYCPM not care about this, or just how much money they can get from a student.

Statistics show (I'm a reviewer for Part I Boards), that if a student fails the boards they have a 94% chance of never passing. This means that these people will never practice!!!

Yes, 50,000 patients are nice. If 48,000 of them have onychomycosis (toenail fungus) and the students are used as work horses -- how is that beneficial to you????

The facilities at Temple, Scholl, and DMU are extraordinary. They are in large academic centers. There is real research being performed. They are technologically advanced. And the students I have seen, are very impressive.

People post on here for opinions ...... these are mine ...... take 'em or leave 'em.

LCR

Again, you did not go to school here. I am working in the clinic today. I will probably see at least 5 pediatric patients and not as a group of students watching. I will take the history and physical perform a biomechanical and watch the gait then present to the attending and decide what to do. I have yet to see a pediatric patient with onychomycosis. I will not clip one toenail.

krabmas said:
I was unaware of a podiatry school in Virginia. We are talking about schools - the first 4 years of podiatry education not residency. A student from NYCPM can do a residency anywhere in the country as can any other student from any other podiatry school.

Maybe if you'll get out od defensive mode for a second and look at what I was talking about. I'll ask you to look at the part I quoted where oldybutgoody said, "the same goes for residency programs."

His opinion is that "more is better", and while he is entitled to believe that way, I felt it important to reiterate my opinion that quality is more imortant than the 50,000 cases that students and residents will see at NYCPM and affiliates.

krabmas said:
Again, you did not go to school here. I am working in the clinic today. I will probably see at least 5 pediatric patients and not as a group of students watching. I will take the history and physical perform a biomechanical and watch the gait then present to the attending and decide what to do. I have yet to see a pediatric patient with onychomycosis. I will not clip one toenail.

Only 5 patients? Is that why you have so much time to be on the internet? :)

diabeticfootdr said:
Only 5 patients? Is that why you have so much time to be on the internet? :)

It is a 4 hour clinic with 9 people seeing 5 patients each at least. How many peds patients do the other schools get to treat one on one?

quoting from Diabetic foot doctor "We have a resident in my program who graduated from NYCPM but did not pass the boards!!!???? Does NYCPM not care about this, or just how much money they can get from a student."

Residencies do not have to take anyone. If there is a person who has not passed the boards at your residency then your program does not require passage of the board to work there. Why did your program accept someone who did not pass the boards?

oldybutgoody said:

Unfortunately, the one advantage NYCPM has: patient load
is decreasing every year.

krabmas said:
It is a 4 hour clinic with 9 people seeing 5 patients each at least. How many peds patients do the other schools get to treat one on one?

I would assume every other school. I saw six in an afternoon today (no peds today but had one yesterday).

scpod said:
Maybe if you'll get out od defensive mode for a second and look at what I was talking about. I'll ask you to look at the part I quoted where oldybutgoody said, "the same goes for residency programs."

His opinion is that "more is better", and while he is entitled to believe that way, I felt it important to reiterate my opinion that quality is more imortant than the 50,000 cases that students and residents will see at NYCPM and affiliates.

What do the affiliates have to do with anything? the 50,000 patient visits is only at the clinic. It has nothing to do with the affiliate hospitals.

I just want to clarify my previous postings. It is never my intention to put down the other schools. I did not attend them so I cannot give an honest experienced oppinnion about their education. Even if I met 20 people from any other school I could not make a judgement about that school because everyone is different and each one's education will vary even from the same school.

My intention in posting is to let people know that if they choose NYCPM it is a good choice. The education is great. No - we are not spoon fed, no one is going to make you read articles and memorize who wrote them. I am not saying that research is not important - it is. NYCPM is a school where if you want it to happen you have to make it happen - just like the real world. No one is holding your hand.

If you are truely interested in podiatry it will not be a problem for you to read articles and keep up on the literature without being forced to do it.

If you will do better in a more personalized atmosphere then NYCPM might not be for you. It is a small school so the personalized attention is there but the student must seek it out.

If you are interested in NYCPM I advise that you come visit for a day. See the clinic, sit through a class and meet some of the students.

I agree that the future podiatry student needs to do his/her research as to which podiatry school would best fits his/her needs. However, the bottom line is that the best students in each school will get into a good residency program. No matter what school you choose to attend, you should work hard and do you best you can, learn as much as you can, and be willing to go the extra mile to get the education / training that you feel the school is lacking. You will do fine. Remember, no one school is perfect since all schools have their strengths and weaknesses.

krabmas said:
What do the affiliates have to do with anything? the 50,000 patient visits is only at the clinic. It has nothing to do with the affiliate hospitals.

Sorry, "affiliates" should have been capitalised because the official name of the residency is: NYCPM and Affiliated Institutions. That's what "affiliates" has to do with it.

Again, I'm talking about the residency here, not the school. If you'll check my past posts, you'll find that I'm a very staunch supporter of the "it doesn't matter what school you go to, because they are all good" philosophy. One doesn't give you a better chance at a good residency that any other does. Only you can determine whether or not you get a good residency. However, I also subscribe to the belief that more is not necessarily better.

scpod said:
Sorry, "affiliates" should have been capitalised because the official name of the residency is: NYCPM and Affiliated Institutions. That's what "affiliates" has to do with it.

Again, I'm talking about the residency here, not the school. If you'll check my past posts, you'll find that I'm a very staunch supporter of the "it doesn't matter what school you go to, because they are all good" philosophy. One doesn't give you a better chance at a good residency that any other does. Only you can determine whether or not you get a good residency. However, I also subscribe to the belief that more is not necessarily better.

This is not in defense I just want to clarify that the 50,000 patient visits is solely at the Foot Clinics of New York. There are 5 residents at the Foot Clinics. The affiliated programs with NYCPM never set foot in the clinic. The affilated programs' residents work in those hospitals and see patients that are not Foot Clinics patients. So these are not part of the 50,000 patient visits.

Hi oldybutgoody, you seem really mature with your advices. I've been looking into nycpm lately and it seem like a very good school to me. However, I've been reading other posting and ranking nycpm as last on the list. Do you know why this is the case? I mean i love the diabetic screenings at harlem and helping out soldiers from west point etc. I dont know how their facilities is and how the security the campus is? I also have mcat score of 17M (ps 3/ vr 6 / bio 8)and overal gpa of 3.36. my science gpa is 3.125, and non-science is 3.68. I have volunteer at the hospital for a while, i haven't shadow a podiatrist yet but working on it. I've been to a summer enrichment program at uva and i was also the vice pres. of my school communty service. I was just wondering do I have a shot at NYCPM and have you heard of any classmates getting in with my mcat score.

scpod said:

Case Activities
Trauma cases 50
Podopediatric cases 25
Biomechanical cases 150

I wouldn't get too worked up over a residency surpassing the minimum. At Swedish, the average surgical load in the three years is well of 2000 procedures. Most good programs give there residents lots of experience.

V4viet said:
Hi oldybutgoody, you seem really mature with your advices. I've been looking into nycpm lately and it seem like a very good school to me. However, I've been reading other posting and ranking nycpm as last on the list. Do you know why this is the case? I mean i love the diabetic screenings at harlem and helping out soldiers from west point etc. I dont know how their facilities is and how the security the campus is? I also have mcat score of 17M (ps 3/ vr 6 / bio 8)and overal gpa of 3.36. my science gpa is 3.125, and non-science is 3.68. I have volunteer at the hospital for a while, i haven't shadow a podiatrist yet but working on it. I've been to a summer enrichment program at uva and i was also the vice pres. of my school communty service. I was just wondering do I have a shot at NYCPM and have you heard of any classmates getting in with my mcat score.

The worst that has ever happened to any student in harlem is some cat calling to the girls.

We have a 24 hour security inside and outside the school with a gated parkinglot and video cameras all throughout the school and clinic.

I go to the strbucks a few blocks away and many students take the trains to and from school at almost all hours.

Like any neighborhood anywhere stuff happens and you have to be careful where you go and when. Some people just naturally feel safer in sme areas. Some of this is due to where they grew up and some due to a sense of adventure.

Welcome Oldybutgoody,
As this thread progresses, you're seeing the sometimes loving, sometimes heated exchanges that evolve from seemingly innocuous comments; for better or worse, it is what makes the podiatry forum so utterly and beautifully human.
For what it's worth, the two most prominent and visibly successful podiatrists in my hometown of Saginaw, Michigan are both graduates of NYCPM.
I've only met one of them. The one I met is super busy; every Friday is allocated to new patients, and he puts in a full day. By his own admission, he works approximately 55 hours a week. Everyone I've talked to about him, loves him. I know he used to live in this posh residential area on a private lake. The other podiatrist from NYCPM has his own diabetic foot care center. Judging solely by appearance, he seems to be doing well-the place looks like a giant, brick country-club, and he's been there for a number of years now.
These anecdotes are superficial and unscientific, but they are simply meant for encouragement. I also subscribe to the philosophy that any one of the podiatry schools can provide the opportunity for motivated individuals to realize the dream you're pursuing. Good luck to you, sir.