Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,
I am graduating in May 2011, and since I've only recently decided to apply to medical school, I was originally planning on applying for admittance in fall 2012. I was planning on doing a post-bacc/SMP in the "gap" year (2011-2012), mostly to help offset my GPA. My first MCAT attempt will be January 2011, because I'm taking organic chem this fall/spring (last pre-reqs I need to take). However, I just saw this on the AACOM website:
http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Documents/AcceptingJan2011MCAT.pdf
For those who decide not to click the link, it's a list of DO schools that will take the Jan 2011 MCAT. I was wondering - is it worth a shot on applying to some of these schools when taking only the January 2011 MCAT? My cGPA is a 2.96, but I'm hoping to bring that up in the fall and spring. My sGPA is around a 3.00 (quite frankly I haven't calculated it exactly yet, because of the confusion that is my school's degree audit). I plan on taking the MCAT in January regardless, because of the application due dates for some of the post-bacc/SMP programs I'm applying to (unless that's an absolutely horrible idea, in which case feel free to say). Anyway, is it worth a shot? Or am I just going to waste time and money on the application?
Thanks!
I am graduating in May 2011, and since I've only recently decided to apply to medical school, I was originally planning on applying for admittance in fall 2012. I was planning on doing a post-bacc/SMP in the "gap" year (2011-2012), mostly to help offset my GPA. My first MCAT attempt will be January 2011, because I'm taking organic chem this fall/spring (last pre-reqs I need to take). However, I just saw this on the AACOM website:
http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Documents/AcceptingJan2011MCAT.pdf
For those who decide not to click the link, it's a list of DO schools that will take the Jan 2011 MCAT. I was wondering - is it worth a shot on applying to some of these schools when taking only the January 2011 MCAT? My cGPA is a 2.96, but I'm hoping to bring that up in the fall and spring. My sGPA is around a 3.00 (quite frankly I haven't calculated it exactly yet, because of the confusion that is my school's degree audit). I plan on taking the MCAT in January regardless, because of the application due dates for some of the post-bacc/SMP programs I'm applying to (unless that's an absolutely horrible idea, in which case feel free to say). Anyway, is it worth a shot? Or am I just going to waste time and money on the application?
Thanks!