January 2011 MCAT for Fall 2011 Admission?

Started by kevlar917
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kevlar917

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I am graduating in May 2011, and since I've only recently decided to apply to medical school, I was originally planning on applying for admittance in fall 2012. I was planning on doing a post-bacc/SMP in the "gap" year (2011-2012), mostly to help offset my GPA. My first MCAT attempt will be January 2011, because I'm taking organic chem this fall/spring (last pre-reqs I need to take). However, I just saw this on the AACOM website:

http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Documents/AcceptingJan2011MCAT.pdf

For those who decide not to click the link, it's a list of DO schools that will take the Jan 2011 MCAT. I was wondering - is it worth a shot on applying to some of these schools when taking only the January 2011 MCAT? My cGPA is a 2.96, but I'm hoping to bring that up in the fall and spring. My sGPA is around a 3.00 (quite frankly I haven't calculated it exactly yet, because of the confusion that is my school's degree audit). I plan on taking the MCAT in January regardless, because of the application due dates for some of the post-bacc/SMP programs I'm applying to (unless that's an absolutely horrible idea, in which case feel free to say). Anyway, is it worth a shot? Or am I just going to waste time and money on the application?

Thanks!
 
Hey all,

I am graduating in May 2011, and since I've only recently decided to apply to medical school, I was originally planning on applying for admittance in fall 2012. I was planning on doing a post-bacc/SMP in the "gap" year (2011-2012), mostly to help offset my GPA. My first MCAT attempt will be January 2011, because I'm taking organic chem this fall/spring (last pre-reqs I need to take). However, I just saw this on the AACOM website:

http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Documents/AcceptingJan2011MCAT.pdf

For those who decide not to click the link, it's a list of DO schools that will take the Jan 2011 MCAT. I was wondering - is it worth a shot on applying to some of these schools when taking only the January 2011 MCAT? My cGPA is a 2.96, but I'm hoping to bring that up in the fall and spring. My sGPA is around a 3.00 (quite frankly I haven't calculated it exactly yet, because of the confusion that is my school's degree audit). I plan on taking the MCAT in January regardless, because of the application due dates for some of the post-bacc/SMP programs I'm applying to (unless that's an absolutely horrible idea, in which case feel free to say). Anyway, is it worth a shot? Or am I just going to waste time and money on the application?

Thanks!

If you take the MCAT in January the earliest the schools will start reviewing your application (if you already had their secondaries done) would be in February. This is pretty late and the competition is much higher, so the likelihood of you getting in is very low. I would wait and apply the next year, and make sure to get some good clinical experience to offset your GPA.

As far as the SMP program, I would ask other people who have done it. To me it kind of seems like a waste of money. If you can do good on your MCAT and show improvement this year in your GPA you should get some interviews if you apply early next year.

Just my opinion though
 
Because your GPA's are on the low side, I would highly recommend waiting to apply next May/June when the applications for the 2012 starting classes open. Unless you score really stellar on the MCAT, it will be tough to get an acceptance that late in the game with your lower GPA's. The application process is extremely expensive--AACOMAS cost me a little over $300 for six schools, and then each school had a fee with their secondary application ranging from $50 to $200--so you really only want to do it once, and applying early always gives you the best chance, even if you're a competitive applicant. Not to mention the time involved completing the lengthy application, writing your personal statement, and writing one to four essays for each secondary you receive.

All that said, is there a chance you could get in? Yes, but you'll have to decide if it's worth the money, time, and effort for you to apply late, knowing full well you might have to do it again a few months later if you don't get accepted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I am graduating in May 2011, and since I've only recently decided to apply to medical school, I was originally planning on applying for admittance in fall 2012. I was planning on doing a post-bacc/SMP in the "gap" year (2011-2012), mostly to help offset my GPA. My first MCAT attempt will be January 2011, because I'm taking organic chem this fall/spring (last pre-reqs I need to take). However, I just saw this on the AACOM website:

http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Documents/AcceptingJan2011MCAT.pdf

For those who decide not to click the link, it's a list of DO schools that will take the Jan 2011 MCAT. I was wondering - is it worth a shot on applying to some of these schools when taking only the January 2011 MCAT? My cGPA is a 2.96, but I'm hoping to bring that up in the fall and spring. My sGPA is around a 3.00 (quite frankly I haven't calculated it exactly yet, because of the confusion that is my school's degree audit). I plan on taking the MCAT in January regardless, because of the application due dates for some of the post-bacc/SMP programs I'm applying to (unless that's an absolutely horrible idea, in which case feel free to say). Anyway, is it worth a shot? Or am I just going to waste time and money on the application?

Thanks!

I have to agree with the others who responded. Jan 2011 MCAT is way late in the game. If you had a stellar MCAT score and a stellar GPA you might get in. With less than a 3.0 GPA your odds are slim to none. Work hard to raise your GPA and perhaps sign up for the next MCAT. You need to raise your GPA and kick butt on the MCAT. Post Bach is a good idea but a lot of money.
 
Thanks. I figured it was probably a long shot to apply that late in the game, but hey, it's worth asking about!