January 2012 MCAT...Is it too early for this Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sailor Senshi Dermystify

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone taking the MCAT in January 2012? I know it's pretty early but I just wanted to know whose down with me :).

Hopefully, I will have time to come back to the States during my vacation break to take this exam. I will probably start some light studying in August :D

Members don't see this ad.

Oh ok thanks for the advice. what practice exams should i use in nov/dec? like kaplan FLs?

I wouldn't leave all the practice tests just for the last month, you can always start in the Nov/Dec but leave the latest AAMC test for closer to the test date.... that's what I'm planning to do

I have TBR and AAMC FLs, 9 each, so planning to take 4 in Nov (1/week), and the rest in Dec and Jan (~2/week)... it all depends how fast I can finish my content review plus I got practice passages from TBR and some of the 1001 ExK books to do in the meantime... anyways thats just my tentative schedule for now!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
January 28th here. I don't know how I'm going to do it with my schedule, but I'm thinking lots of caffeine.

Anyone have any idea why California is not in one of the choices for January 27th or 28th exam?!?!?!?!?

Damn. The registration just came out last week, and ALL california testing centers are full?!? that's crazy. Even states close to California like Nevada is full.

Members don't see this ad :)
January 28th here. I don't know how I'm going to do it with my schedule, but I'm thinking lots of caffeine.

Caffeine is the way to go. I've gone from no caffeine all spring and summer to 2-3 caffeinated drinks a day (mainly strong coffee). It works though!

wow no jan 27/28 seat for california what the hell. now i have to spend more money to take this stupid test

Last week, I checked around open registration day and California had several cities and available seats for Jan 27. Then few days later, California wasn't even an option. Now today, California is back up and only San Bruno was available but No Seats.

I'm trying to stay positive and check the next few days to see any changes. Really weird.

This happens a lot.

I know this because all the summer MCATs are usually filled really quickly in Toronto, same with January ones.

To be honest, if you want a Jan 27/28 date, you'll get it, even in Cali. So many students sign up for the test early, and then cancel or change the date. I can almost promise you in the last 2-3 weeks of registration for the January MCATs, you'll have open seats. Way too many people sign up for January MCATs thinking they'll study during fall, but don't because they greatly underestimated their school work/research/job.

Good thing we grabbed ours, eh? :D

Oh my, not me. Not the one I wanted. On the morning of the 12th, I checked for the 28th for Mississauga. And it wasn't available. But Toronto locations were available. I didn't go for Toronto, because I wouldn't be comfortable writing in a different center. Now the TO locations are completely gone.

Sauga location for 27th is still available. :/ Now I am wondering if I should have gone for the Toronto location lol. But I feel that a new location would stress me out.

So I think best to wait. And I hate this part. The uncertainty is maddening. :p

Well, forced myself to start the 90 day schedule today instead of tomorrow...gives me 1 more break day to add to my schedule :p

Anyways, Physics today...translational motion. All fairly basic stuff, and it all came rushing back very quickly. I've always done well in Physics because I write out all the variables and make a rough drawing/sketch of the question...helps me visualize everything.

Can't do that for MCAT as I'm finding out. Biggest challenge so far is time...gotta learn those BR tricks and just speed through. It'll take me a while to adjust to using shortcuts and tricks to cut down on the time spent per question.

I just registered for the 28th at 1 pm. This will be another retake for me as last time I got a 26 ( 7 in verbal) and I am gunning to kill this verbal but I burned up all of my Examkrackers stuff but I found a TBR verbal workbook and I think I will but a berkeley review verbal review book. Is there anything else out there that could be good verbal practice? I really want to make sure I put this verbal to rest.

I just registered for the 28th at 1 pm. This will be another retake for me as last time I got a 26 ( 7 in verbal) and I am gunning to kill this verbal but I burned up all of my Examkrackers stuff but I found a TBR verbal workbook and I think I will but a berkeley review verbal review book. Is there anything else out there that could be good verbal practice? I really want to make sure I put this verbal to rest.
The first time I did my MCAT I got a 12 in Verbal and R in my writing section. I'm pretty sad that I have to retake it, but whatever...that's life.

For Verbal, I used TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook. I took the class from TPR though, and I thought all my classes were useless EXCEPT for verbal. We had a great instructor.

Look for tips around SDN forums too...but I found TPRH verbal to be great.

2nd day of studying...Gen Chem this time.

Stoichiometry is the first chapter. Same problems as physics...I'm really used to writing out everything like in a full balanced equation; the reactants + products and their grams/moles/volumes/etc. Going to take a while to get used to the shortcut methods :(

I noticed in my Gen Chem BR book (latest edition), the end of chapter 1 had 12 passages and no discrete questions. I know SN2ed says to do BR passages + discretes, and he says don't worry if discrete questions are not there...I assume this is normal for Gen Chem BR that there is only passages? Thanks, sorry for the frequent updates, but reading my posts the next day motivates me to continue studying.

How far is everyone?

I have gone through TPR Biology Chapters 7 - 12; planning on reviewing all of this Thursday
TBR General Chemistry I and II (except electrochemistry and Phase Changes)
3 chapters TBR Physics I, currently taking Physics II...so doing this while I study for Physics
doing 2 passages in verbal a day
Starting TBR Organic Chemistry right now...

Hoping to finish all of content review from TBR by the end of November.
Starting 1 practice exam a day in December.
Rereviewing all of TBR in late December; and doing practice tests all of January.

How far is everyone?

I have gone through TPR Biology Chapters 7 - 12; planning on reviewing all of this Thursday
TBR General Chemistry I and II (except electrochemistry and Phase Changes)
3 chapters TBR Physics I, currently taking Physics II...so doing this while I study for Physics
doing 2 passages in verbal a day
Starting TBR Organic Chemistry right now...

Hoping to finish all of content review from TBR by the end of November.
Starting 1 practice exam a day in December.
Rereviewing all of TBR in late December; and doing practice tests all of January.
Hmm... I don't know if there are enough practice tests for you to do one every day of December + January :p

First 2 TBR chapters of Organic Chemistry are really fuarking long. Each is about 50-60 pages...really damnnnn long. Took me A LOT longer to go through this than Physics or Gen Chem.

Haha...yea, one a week. :)

I agree! TBR Organic Chapters 1 and 2 are just brutal. It took me nearly a week to get through both of them.

You sound you are ahead of the game! Awesome.

I've taken my diagnostic and read through the EK Chemistry book. That's about it. :( I'm going to do 1/3 of the 1001 problems in Chemistry this weekend, then it's on to biology. I've also been doing two verbal passages a day and I'm getting better at them. I listen to Audio Osmosis while I slice brains at work but I don't like it much.

Physics is a B**CH:mad:. I just don't like it AT ALL. Every time I read the questions within the chapter, I get them right but when it's time to do the passages, MOST ARE WRONG :(. It's making me sad and I have to re-read chapters 1 to 4 in the Physics book, probably on Sunday to see what I don't understand. I grad as a Chem major, so Chemistry passages are kind of easy with a few mistakes here and there. I did 1/3 of pages in Chapters 1 to 3 in TBR Chem and now I am on the 4th Chapter (Acids and Bases). I am going to do Acids and Bases and Buffers within the same day since they go hand in hand :). Then do the associated passages. Friday I am going to do O-Chem TBR Chapter 3 with its associated passages and then Friday I am going to read TBR Bio (even though it's pretty dense, I am able to answer their passages and if I need to review then I am going to read mcat-review or EK Bio book. O I may read EK Bio book for Chapters 1 to 3 since I am heading to Chapter 4 topic in EK which I think is the nervous system which corresponds as Chapter 1 (I think in the TBR Biology book).

I need to start my Verbal passages ASAP :). Probably tomorrow morning I am going to read 2 passages a day. How is everyone reading the passages though and what techniques are y'all doing?

Do you forget what you read in previous chapters and if so what do you do to remember what you did before? I was going to work on the 2nd 1/3 in the previous chapters and 1001 questions and memorize my formula sheet stay abreast of the following topics.

This may seem weird but Equlibrium and Ksp is one of my least fav topics in chemistry.

Ok so this is my update!

How's everyone doing? I'm hopefully joining for this date. So far, I've only completed Biology. Even though everyone recommends rotating subjects, I've found it better to focus on one specific subject that way I can fix subject specific errors. I've read and completed the 1001 EK Bio book, as well as all the Bio passages in the TPR Science Workbook. I plan to work on Orgo next and start verbal passages today. As for not forgetting what you've learned before, I think the best thing to do is just keep testing on that subject. I still have TBR Bio, as well as Kaplan Bio, and the EK 30 minute exams. So, I plan to use a couple of these each day while I move on to the next subject to keep my bio knowledge and testing fresh. I plan to take my first full length in 3 weeks. Hopefully, by then I will have completed a full review of Bio, OChem, and Gen Chem.

Last edited:
For remembering stuff, I am having a hard time as well. So, this is what I am doing:

Map out the entire chapter onto one page. Connect the dots type of thing. So, for example, if I am doing buffers...when I hear the word buffers...I need to be thinking pH as well as weak bases/its conjugate; weak acids/base or half of a strong acid/base...and after connecting all the dots on one page...I keep looking back at this page from time to time. I have also learned that if you need to review a chapter that you have already reviewed, look at the sheet you made as well as the examples in each chapter of TBR. I feel like they provide so many examples that it's easy to review the entire material by just looking at the passages.

Hoping to finish 5 chapters in Physics by Sunday, and make these sheets for General Chemistry as well along with reviewing/making sheets from Chapters 7 - 12 in TPR Biology.

Haha...yea, one a week. :)

I agree! TBR Organic Chapters 1 and 2 are just brutal. It took me nearly a week to get through both of them.

You sound you are ahead of the game! Awesome.

Noooo I'm not ahead of the game lol. Not. At. All. :(

I just want to get through 1 week of this. I'm trying to fix my sleep schedule too...what's all your sleep schedules + study schedules like?

How do you guys juggle both MCAT studying, keeping up with your classes, and still do all your ECs? I've been having trouble fitting in MCAT studying with everything else I have to do.

Personally, I've done 1st chapter of EK GChem + 30 minute exam + 50 questions in EK 1001 GChem + 150 questions in EK 1001 Orgo Chem + TPR FL Diagnostic + GS-1 FL Diagnostic.

How do you guys juggle both MCAT studying, keeping up with your classes, and still do all your ECs? I've been having trouble fitting in MCAT studying with everything else I have to do.

Personally, I've done 1st chapter of EK GChem + 30 minute exam + 50 questions in EK 1001 GChem + 150 questions in EK 1001 Orgo Chem + TPR FL Diagnostic + GS-1 FL Diagnostic.
It's hard to juggle. I'm getting better at it day by day though, I think.

There are at least 10-15 times a day where I'm really close to just saying 'fk it' and joining friends in a game online, rubbing one out, or just lighting up a fat j.

But then I tell myself, "Hey ******...your GPA isn't amazing. You need this MCAT. Don't fk yourself. You fk this up, and you're dreams of med are fked forever." So I just put my nose to the grindstone and work it.

As you study more for the MCAT, you'll start to see how much time during the day you actually spend, and the large amount of time you still have left over (though recently, especially O-chem, I've had almost no leftover time :( )

Fortunately for me, I am not doing any ECs right now while I study for this ***** test. My plan is to look for some good volunteering and whatever during December and line em up to start in February, right after the MCAT. Though I already do have a fairly good list of ECs + research and ****, so I'm not OVERLY worried about it.

Update from my end, Day 4 and I had a super damn busy day today. Had to go to the airport to pick up uncles/dad from their business trip, and man...that took me almost 3 hours. Fkin traffic on the way back home too...and fuark the radio...I lost count of how many god damn times that Adele someone like you song came on the radio : \

Anyways, started studying really damn late cause of that...still managed to get through Chapter 1 of EK Biology today. Not that bad, just a bunch of intro crap that I've heard in every single course in my Biochem degree herp derp.

Physics Chapter 2 tomorrow...get fked. I don't think I can take the scheduled Break day either on Saturday :(

There are at least 10-15 times a day where I'm really close to just saying 'fk it' and joining friends in a game online, rubbing one out, or just lighting up a fat j.

But then I tell myself, "Hey ******...your GPA isn't amazing. You need this MCAT. Don't fk yourself. You fk this up, and you're dreams of med are fked forever." So I just put my nose to the grindstone and work it.

As you study more for the MCAT, you'll start to see how much time during the day you actually spend, and the large amount of time you still have left over (though recently, especially O-chem, I've had almost no leftover time :( )

Fortunately for me, I am not doing any ECs right now while I study for this ***** test. My plan is to look for some good volunteering and whatever during December and line em up to start in February, right after the MCAT. Though I already do have a fairly good list of ECs + research and ****, so I'm not OVERLY worried about it.

Update from my end, Day 4 and I had a super damn busy day today. Had to go to the airport to pick up uncles/dad from their business trip, and man...that took me almost 3 hours. Fkin traffic on the way back home too...and fuark the radio...I lost count of how many god damn times that Adele someone like you song came on the radio : \

Anyways, started studying really damn late cause of that...still managed to get through Chapter 1 of EK Biology today. Not that bad, just a bunch of intro crap that I've heard in every single course in my Biochem degree herp derp.

Physics Chapter 2 tomorrow...get fked. I don't think I can take the scheduled Break day either on Saturday :(

Its good that you are studying hard but don't burn out yourself.

Thank you so much for making me fall on the floor laughing my fking butt off. Thank you. I needed that. Now back to reproductive physiology...:)

LOL...this post was too funny
good luck with everything.

Last edited:
I no longer sleep. That's how I fixed the time issue. Seriously.

Same here and I am teaching English so basic I have to lesson plan and then play with my home stay family kids, :mad:. I try to study 6 hours a day when I can.

3 to 6:30pm take 1.5 hour break and then study from 8pm to 10 or 11pm. I get up at 7am to get ready to go work and stuff :(. Well, today I am going to read Chapters 4 and 5 in TBR Chemistry since they go hand in hand. Tomorrow, I have to read Organic Chemistry and I am going to do practice passages for all the chapters on Saturday. Sunday, I will read a Chapter in TBR Bio Book. Monday G Chem Chapter 6 and then Tuesday Physics Chapter 5. Wednesday and Thursday I am going to do some EK Bio In Class Exams and some 1001 Questions for the following subjects. Friday Orgo Chapter 4 and Biology Chapter 5 I think :). Well we SHALL SEE MITE!

Same here and I am teaching English so basic I have to lesson plan and then play with my home stay family kids, :mad:. I try to study 6 hours a day when I can.

3 to 6:30pm take 1.5 hour break and then study from 8pm to 10 or 11pm. I get up at 7am to get ready to go work and stuff :(. Well, today I am going to read Chapters 4 and 5 in TBR Chemistry since they go hand in hand. Tomorrow, I have to read Organic Chemistry and I am going to do practice passages for all the chapters on Saturday. Sunday, I will read a Chapter in TBR Bio Book. Monday G Chem Chapter 6 and then Tuesday Physics Chapter 5. Wednesday and Thursday I am going to do some EK Bio In Class Exams and some 1001 Questions for the following subjects. Friday Orgo Chapter 4 and Biology Chapter 5 I think :). Well we SHALL SEE MITE!
Good luck man! I sound like a whiny ***** compared to what you have to do. I sincerely hope my work ethic improves by the end of my 3 months schedule so that I can at least match you :p

How are Chad's videos? A friend told me they were not that long at all and that near the end of his MCAT studying, he watched the entire series in 2-5 days. Well, it was either Chad's videos or Audio Osmosis...one of those apparently doesn't take that long to go through all the vids, and my friend said it was a really great refresher before the MCAT for him on a good number of topics.

best advice: just keep working. you are going to get battered every day you study, but i promise it will pay off.

keep working.

Good luck man! I sound like a whiny ***** compared to what you have to do. I sincerely hope my work ethic improves by the end of my 3 months schedule so that I can at least match you :p

How are Chad's videos? A friend told me they were not that long at all and that near the end of his MCAT studying, he watched the entire series in 2-5 days. Well, it was either Chad's videos or Audio Osmosis...one of those apparently doesn't take that long to go through all the vids, and my friend said it was a really great refresher before the MCAT for him on a good number of topics.

Yes, I love Chad's Videos because I am reviewing wat I learned previously and then I read the following Chemistry Chapter to go with it. I think his Chemistry and Orgo Videos are AMAZING. His Physics Videos are AMAZING too but after I am done I still get molested by TBR Physics :(.

His videos are not that long but I write a lot of notes for me it takes more than 2 to 5 days. I can't just sit there like a big doof and watch them all at once. Man, it's definitely hard to study and work and then enjoy my Korean experience but I am trying nevertheless, lol Hopefully, my body gets used to it soon, but I am sometimes really tired :( but I HAVE TO KEEP PUSING, lol.

Don't mind the whining, this forum is here for support :)

Thank you for the laugh. :laugh: I wish you the best of luck!

I no longer sleep. That's how I fixed the time issue. Seriously.

I think I might have to do that. :oops:

Now that's dedication. :thumbup:

I am using just EK and BR to study right now. Currently, I'm going through the 1001 books (rotating subjects). This is really helping me with content. Whatever I get wrong, I add to my notecards and go over those while I'm at work. When I'm finished with the 1001 books, then I'll focus on the BR passages. I tried doing the BR passages at first but found that I needed to work on my content, so decided to start with the 1001 first. Oh yah, I'll also through in the EK 30 min exams. Hopefully this will help. If i run out of questions, then Kaplan questions will be my last resort.

****. Just found out today that all the seats are taken or just not offered in my area until April...

Damn it. I'm not gonna travel to another state to take the test...Would you?

****. Just found out today that all the seats are taken or just not offered in my area until April...

Damn it. I'm not gonna travel to another state to take the test...Would you?
Yes, I would. Remember, depends on your commitment. Think long term. If you do bad in the January MCAT, you can see where you did bad and how to modify your study schedule for the next time you write. And because you're writing in January, you have more chances to write again in March-August after studying more. In other words, you can create room for a 'backup write', which may be a good plan in the long term IF you mess up in January. Always good to think about backups.

BUT, remember people cancel/reschedule their tests A LOT. ESPECIALLY closer to the test date. Check near Registration Deadline for the January MCATs and I'm pretttty sure seats will open up. Especially since it's January...gotta account for all the people that signed up thinking they would study, but get carried away with school work, and then cancel/reschedule their test because of lack of preparation.

Update from me on Day 5: I had a super busy day today and pretty much got home at 11:30 pm. I was about to call it quits and sleep since I have to wake up early Friday...but whatever man, you know? If I'm committed to this MCAT schedule, and looking at all you guys who have harder schedules than me + have already done a lot of studying...well, I had to nut up. So thankfully it was Physics chapter 2 in TBR. I had a GREAT physics teacher in high school, so Forces (especially tension), friction, Law of Gravity, centripetal crap...all came flooding back quickly and I think I'm doing fine in this section. I'm just so damn glad it was this unit, cause if I had to study O-chem or Bio at 11:30pm, fk it yo I would have slept. At 2am, I did get really sleepy and I don't know, I guess I wasn't thinking and ending up making some strong tea for some fking reason. Finished the chapter at 3:30am, so 4 hours...didn't feel like 4 hours though (good thing!) since I was pretty comfortable with the stuff taught...and to be honest, TBR Physics does a good job explaining. I just love the small tricks, need more practice with them...but at least the book bluntly tells you, "lol hey dip sh|t, no need to use 4 equations, do this trick, finish question in 10-15 seconds, and move onto next q".

So now it's almost 4am, I have to wake up in 4 or so hours, and I'm so damn alert. This is terrible, never making tea at 2am. Tomorrow is Day 6 of SN2ed schedule, and it looks kind of long... :(

Apparently I'm not doing enough if some of you guys are studying past midnight. I need to step my game up. :):thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

anybody else working on the EK 30 min. exams? Did bio Lecture 2 and got smoked! :( anyway, if so please contribute to the EK 30 min. scores thread.

I'm starting to realize how verbal like Bio can be. answering alot of questions seems to combine your ability to utilize the passage to decide the answer, rather than actual content. no wonder this test is so tough.

Last edited:
Yep, utilizing the passage...sucks. We're going to have to learn and get used to it though, at least just until January :)

I have been getting smoked in a lot of areas. However, I'm sticking to SN2ed's advice: these passages are meant to kick our ass and we should learn from them. That's what I'm doing...not really giving a crap about my score on these passages as long as I can see what I did wrong or how to come to the right answer in a quick and easy way.

The AAMC practice tests are where I'll be keeping my eyes on my scores. But that's a while away still, luckily.