January MCAT Good Idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AshPreMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a problem in my first MCAT which I did in September. I got a 12 in PS, 10 in BS, P in Writing, and 6 in VR. Total was 28P, with this ridiculous 6 VR. I averaged 8-9 on practice tests and did a mistake in timing during the real exam which costed me 2 points.

Should I repeat my MCAT during January (school time)? I will need to travel to another state in order to write the exam, which will take 2 days off me. I need to improve on organic chemistry and VR during the winter break. Will some schools consider my January MCAT during this cycle?

Thank you

Also, I have a problem. I need to book a place in Ohio or Toronto, but Toronto is not available in January, and Ohio recently was taken off the list (before my eyes!). Is there a way I can write it in Ohio? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I took MCAT in January (although I did not have to travel half-way across the world to take it).

Personally, I found the opportunity to study during the Christmas break to be very handy and did mad practice dash for 20 days of my school break (10-12 hours a day with a glass of scotch and dumb TV crap at the end). I continued with a bit of maintainance through out January (took full length practice tests each WED and SAT starting at the time of my exam).