JC or postbaccalaureate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nojobnyc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, great forum! My apologies if this topic has been previously discussed. Ok, here's my situation:

Graduated in 2001 with a BA in Molecular and Cell Biology from an excellent California public university. I did well in my first few core science courses but as I got into my upper divs my GPA went south. Overall, my science GPA is around a 2.3. My cumulative GPA is 2.97 with the help of some JC courses I took through college.

Ever since graduation I've been working at various jobs (research labs, office work, etc.) trying to find out what I wanted to do. After a lot of growing up, I finally decided to utilize my degree and pursue Pharmacy school head on. I would like to attend a Pharmacy school in California.

After discussing my situation with other people and reading this forum and each school's requirements I feel that I definitely need more schooling to be more competitive for admission. I also plan on taking the PCAT.

For my situation, would you recommend that I retake some of my courses at a JC or do you think attending a postbaccalaureate program full time at a Cal State or UC would be better or even necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

nojobnyc said:
Hello everyone, great forum! My apologies if this topic has been previously discussed. Ok, here's my situation:

Graduated in 2001 with a BA in Molecular and Cell Biology from an excellent California public university. I did well in my first few core science courses but as I got into my upper divs my GPA went south. Overall, my science GPA is around a 2.3. My cumulative GPA is 2.97 with the help of some JC courses I took through college.

Ever since graduation I've been working at various jobs (research labs, office work, etc.) trying to find out what I wanted to do. After a lot of growing up, I finally decided to utilize my degree and pursue Pharmacy school head on. I would like to attend a Pharmacy school in California.

After discussing my situation with other people and reading this forum and each school's requirements I feel that I definitely need more schooling to be more competitive for admission. I also plan on taking the PCAT.

For my situation, would you recommend that I retake some of my courses at a JC or do you think attending a postbaccalaureate program full time at a Cal State or UC would be better or even necessary?

Thanks in advance!
I would retake some of my courses, like the science and math courses because a 4 or 5 credit class weighs more on your gpa than a 3 credit class. If you score high enough on the pcat and raise your gpa a few points then i think you would gave a good shot :) dont give up!!! the same thing happen to me

Keep in mind that CA pharmacy schools do not require the PCAT so your GPA is going to be the most significant factor in your application.

Yeah, I think I'm still going to take the PCAT just to make myself more competitive. Even though it's not required, some schools still take it into consideration.

But do you think enrolling in a baccalaureate program would be a much better option than taking the courses at a community college? Will the Pharmacy admissions look at that more favorably?