Jefferson/Temple malignancy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyanocobalamin

M4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read in the past that some people have had 'poor' interview experiences at Jefferson and Temple, and was wondering if people have had recent experiences of the type or if these are now more 'historical.'

Members don't see this ad.

cyanocobalamin said:
I've read in the past that some people have had 'poor' interview experiences at Jefferson and Temple, and was wondering if people have had recent experiences of the type or if these are now more 'historical.'

Jeff- it was a bit malig. for me-had a pgy-4 M.D. pimp me on OMT which was weird at best. others who interviewed with me did enjoy the day though. atmosphere there maybe just not for me...seemed inpt. heavy and call heavy. Facility pretty nice.

i liked temple, did not have the pimping interviewer though......

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a PGY-3 at Jefferson. I was amused and a little sad when I saw this question, because I know exactly to whom these reports refer at both Temple and Jefferson. (The tough Temple interviewer is based at Moss and so also trains Jefferson residents.) I know there is only one interviewer like this at Jefferson, however, I cannot comment about Temple.

The interview style--asking hypothetical on-call situation questions, SAT scores, etc--does not reflect the atmosphere either of these attendings foster with their residents.

They are the two most "dedicated to teaching" attendings that the residents have. Both have won teaching awards from residents multiple times.

As Jefferson residents, we're very lucky to be able to work with both of them. Coming out of Jefferson, you have some of the best physical exam skills in the country because of these two attendings. (I say this after attending a few physical examination workshops at the AAPM&R this year.)

I don't know if any of you have seen scutwork.com's reviews of Jefferson, but one reviewer posted two years ago that our previous program director was akin to used car salesman. (Our current program director is wonderful.)

These "tough" interviewers are the exact opposite of a used car salesman. The more you get to know them, the more you like them and respect them. I don't know about you, but I prefer this to the other option.

violet1024 said:
I'm a PGY-3 at Jefferson. I was amused and a little sad when I saw this question, because I know exactly to whom these reports refer at both Temple and Jefferson. (The tough Temple interviewer is based at Moss and so also trains Jefferson residents.) I know there is only one interviewer like this at Jefferson, however, I cannot comment about Temple.

The interview style--asking hypothetical on-call situation questions, SAT scores, etc--does not reflect the atmosphere either of these attendings foster with their residents.

They are the two most "dedicated to teaching" attendings that the residents have. Both have won teaching awards from residents multiple times.

As Jefferson residents, we're very lucky to be able to work with both of them. Coming out of Jefferson, you have some of the best physical exam skills in the country because of these two attendings. (I say this after attending a few physical examination workshops at the AAPM&R this year.)

I don't know if any of you have seen scutwork.com's reviews of Jefferson, but one reviewer posted two years ago that our previous program director was akin to used car salesman. (Our current program director is wonderful.)

These "tough" interviewers are the exact opposite of a used car salesman. The more you get to know them, the more you like them and respect them. I don't know about you, but I prefer this to the other option.

Great to have a first hand impression-I wouls take this person's impression's over what I saw on interview day alone....

Jeff and Temple are great programs and compare favorably to all of the 'best' PM&R programs. I went to school at UMDNJ (Kessler), so I can personally attest to that statement. I interviewed at both programs and will start at Temple next year.....I could not be more excited. It is a great program with wonderful people who are excited both about their profession, and about teaching.

I am pretty certain that I interviewed with the person in question at Jefferson. Honestly, it was tough, I was fully pimped. Afterwards, while waiting for my next interview, I saw him interact with the residents in the hall. It was absolutely clear how much they liked him and how much HE liked them. When talking to several current residents, as the day went on, they all said he was a wonderful person and the greatest teacher they've ever had......they actually said that, I'm not exaggerating.

Yes, it is hard to come out of an interview with a good feeling after not having all the answers. Part of this is that we all hate to be wrong; part of it is we are all nervous about being judged. But think about the best teachers you've had in medicine. These people ask tough questions, and they are usually wonderful people when you get to know them.

Originally posted by MM9
But think about the best teachers you've had in medicine. These people ask tough questions, and they are usually wonderful people when you get to know them.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.

MM9, if you're going to be at Temple, then I'll likely see you at the intercity courses next year.

(For those of you that don't know, Jefferson, Temple, and Penn each sponsor a course for all the PM&R residents in the city. Jefferson sponsors the EMG course, Temple (really MossRehab) the Gait and Orthotics course, and Penn sponsors the Prosthetics course. As far as I know, all the programs let you go to all three courses twice during your residency.)

violet1024 said:

I don't purport to know how to advise anybody on how they should interview their candidates. I do know that candidates in tears after an interview is never a good sign. I would be very hesitant to rank a program that made me feel so awful about myself from the get-go. I am going to interview, not participate in a oral exam. If they feel that they need to know my SAT and MCAT scores then they should ask for an official transcript.

That's my 2p about the whole thing - and I hope that they know that some people do cancel after hearing these stories and it's not good for their recruitment efforts.

My interview experience went very well. I met with 2 attendings, both of whom were extremely friendly and asked typical interview questions. I didn't get pimped thankfully. We also talked about various things like football and other interests other than medicine. It felt like they were really trying to get to know me since they already had all the academic stuff on paper from ERAS. I also met with the program director Dr. Maitin whom was also friendly and also jokes around with you. Definitely a very positive experience for me!

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is a new review of Jefferson on scutwork.com if any of you would like some more info about the program.

J-rod

I am a pgy-3 at jefferson, haven't checked this site since I was applying myself. I also had the pleasure of rotating at Kessler and Temple for 1 month a piece as a visiting student.

three years ago, this wasnt even brought up on this thread as an issue, but alas I am not sure, except for a difficult interview, how this new reputation was brought about. Jefferson's program is far from malignant. At least half of my attendings, I speak to on a first name basis, and everyone of them put my education and their patient care before their own personal convenience.

i have many friends throughout the country in rehab at the pgy-3 level and in swapping storied, i realize how lucky i am to be at program which is so user friendly and still comes from such a tradition. I wish you all the best.

I heard that this program was malignant as well

Jefferson is not malignant at all. This is mainly because it is the policy of our department that all services should be able to run without a resident. This means that if one block we don't have a resident cover so-and-so's service, that's okay. That means the attendings write notes on Wednesdays because we have protected lecture time in the morning. In the afternoon we go back to do admissions and tuck our services in.

The other reason the program isn't malignant is because our attendings treat us like colleagues. The physician group at Magee especially has an ethos of taking care of your colleagues that extends to the residents. The attendings realize that residency is a balance of work and learning, and they help out so much that you never feel scutted out. My contributions have always been valued by my attendings, and I have never felt like I cannot ask questions.

This year alone, because of resident feedback, we've dropped a rotation that was determined to be a waste of time, and substituted it with an outpatient rotation at the Rothman Institute for Orthopedics with Sports/Spine attendings, which helps round out our program.

We have two months of elective time, and we have two months of senior advisory, which means we have four months to explore/revisit experiences. The senior advisory has to be done in the Jefferson system, and usually involves supervising/teaching junior residents. Many people use that time to spend extra time with our EMG attending at Jefferson.

Jefferson had a reputation for being very, very tough on residents prior to 1997, but since Dr. Melvin has taken over as chairman, this is not the case.

FYI, the Jefferson "tough interviewer" has decided to stop interviewing. I can officially say that bad experiences at the Jefferson interview are more "historical."

:)