Jefferson waitlist: does anyone have any info.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am waitlisted at Jeff, UVM, UMDNJ, UNECOM, and high priority at Upstate. Still no word from anybody for me. I am losing hope!!

Members don't see this ad.

aau22 said:
I am waitlisted at Jeff, UVM, UMDNJ, UNECOM, and high priority at Upstate. Still no word from anybody for me. I am losing hope!!

lol....u r waitlisted at 5 places... dont be silly...of course you will get in somewhere... its just the middle of may... there is plenty of time left to get acceptances...especially at jeff and upstate since they are high priority... although i am medium priority at MUO and regular at MSU and i dont think i have i chance of getting into meharry because they prefer minorities

I hope so Danesh but 2 of them I know are real longshots bc I am on lower portions of the waitlists and the osteopathics dont move as much I don't think. Is it i just me or does it seem like there isn't a lot of movement yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Way early for the majority of movement. People will be accepted in much greater numbers in June and July. Some schools call in August. Good luck.

MDMAMA said:
Way early for the majority of movement. People will be accepted in much greater numbers in June and July. Some schools call in August. Good luck.

lol....how do u know this mdmama? i thought the majority of movement was like close to may 15th because everyone made such a big deal about it and thats when people drop so I would assume the farther away from MAY 15th....the worse u are...

danesh23 said:
lol....how do u know this mdmama? i thought the majority of movement was like close to may 15th because everyone made such a big deal about it and thats when people drop so I would assume the farther away from MAY 15th....the worse u are...

Actually, I have heard of one person who was accepted one week before classes started at Jeff. Was probably unusual circumstances, like someone backing out at last minute. I will have long given up hope at that point. :(

aertzin said:
Actually, I have heard of one person who was accepted one week before classes started at Jeff. Was probably unusual circumstances, like someone backing out at last minute. I will have long given up hope at that point. :(

lol....me too...if i dont get in by like july 1...its aamc 2007 time for me... its just sad we have to jump through so many hoops to get here and we are on the final stretch.... we just need one more step to get in... but its a step where we have no control over except by calling/emailing/mailing.... i think i have called them 5x in 3 weeks....do u think calling everyday will help? i mean callahan wanted us to show interest and I believe I am showing interest but who knows.... maybe there are 100 people on the high priority waitlist and they are all calling and emailing nonstop`

danesh23 said:
lol....me too...if i dont get in by like july 1...its aamc 2007 time for me... its just sad we have to jump through so many hoops to get here and we are on the final stretch.... we just need one more step to get in... but its a step where we have no control over except by calling/emailing/mailing.... i think i have called them 5x in 3 weeks....do u think calling everyday will help? i mean callahan wanted us to show interest and I believe I am showing interest but who knows.... maybe there are 100 people on the high priority waitlist and they are all calling and emailing nonstop`

What are your stats? And are you ORM? Like indian or something?

md953 said:
What are your stats? And are you ORM? Like indian or something?

about a 3.3 gpa... 32Q mcat and I am persian...so I guess I am overrepresented but I dont look Persian except for my name... are u on the waitlist on jefferson?

danesh23 said:

Just curious, I haven't called - just sent a letter of interest and a lot of emails. You don't get through to Callahan, do you? I assume you just get whoever answers the phone in the Admissions Office when you call?

danesh23 said:
about a 3.3 gpa... 32Q mcat and I am persian...so I guess I am overrepresented but I dont look Persian except for my name... are u on the waitlist on jefferson?

Nice, you have a really good MCAT. No, I havent applied yet but I am going to in a year. Good luck!

danesh23 said:

Did you go to a good undergrad?

Members don't see this ad :)
aertzin said:
Just curious, I haven't called - just sent a letter of interest and a lot of emails. You don't get through to Callahan, do you? I assume you just get whoever answers the phone in the Admissions Office when you call?

yes you just get an admissions person when you call...they take down your info: name, where else you are accepted, and where jefferson is on your list. i'm assuming that information then goes into your file, but who knows. perhaps some people know and call the direct line to dr. callahan as well.

also, what do you say in these numerous emails?? I've sent a couple, but I feel like I'm just being repetitive. I want to send more if that will help, but I'm running out of things to say. And for those of you who have called a bunch of times, do you just give your information each time, or do you give different reasons why you are calling?

I'm a 2007 year applicant myself, but just wanted to pitch in an fyi that a friend of mine did just get off the Jefferson waitlist (end of last week), so have hope, it's starting to move! Good luck!

HC05nmd said:
yes you just get an admissions person when you call...they take down your info: name, where else you are accepted, and where jefferson is on your list. i'm assuming that information then goes into your file, but who knows. perhaps some people know and call the direct line to dr. callahan as well.

also, what do you say in these numerous emails?? I've sent a couple, but I feel like I'm just being repetive. I want to send more if that will help, but I'm running out of things to say. And for those of you who have called a bunch of times, do you just give your information each time, or do you give different reasons why you are calling?

I just tell them I am interested in attending Jefferson in the fall.... I guess you can be a bit more creative but I dont know what they want... they just say to express interest... it all seems like a bunch of love letters to me

HC05nmd said:

also, what do you say in these numerous emails?? I've sent a couple, but I feel like I'm just being repetive. I want to send more if that will help, but I'm running out of things to say. And for those of you who have called a bunch of times, do you just give your information each time, or do you give different reasons why you are calling?

Yeah, the emails do tend to sound repetitive (how great I am, how great they are, how much I REALLY want to go to Jefferson, yadda yadda yadda). I try to switch them up, but they do probably sound pretty similar. I'm sure they get a couple hundred emails a day, so I'm not sure how much difference it makes at this point.

aau22 said:

No news for anyone yet I guess. When I saw this thread back on P.1 I was hoping one of us "High Priorities" got the call. This waiting is pure torture. JUST TELL ME .... ONE WAY OR THE OTHER!!!!! :mad:

aertzin said:
No news for anyone yet I guess. When I saw this thread back on P.1 I was hoping one of us "High Priorities" got the call. This waiting is pure torture. JUST TELL ME .... ONE WAY OR THE OTHER!!!!! :mad:

LMAO....i feel your pain...i keep looking at my phone and i get excited when a restriced # or out of state # call me but get very dissapointed when its not Dr. callahan... oh well... its ok... just be patient... i have to be patient as well... what are ur stats aertzin? like gpa, mcat, undergrad... mine is 3.3, 32 and ucla... i think my gpa is keeping me away...

danesh23 said:
LMAO....i feel your pain...i keep looking at my phone and i get excited when a restriced # or out of state # call me but get very dissapointed when its not Dr. callahan... oh well... its ok... just be patient... i have to be patient as well... what are ur stats aertzin? like gpa, mcat, undergrad... mine is 3.3, 32 and ucla... i think my gpa is keeping me away...

3.7, 29, and University of Maryland. I think my #@*&%^# mcat score is keeping me away. By the way, are you in CA?

I have a proposition for you. I'll lend you my gpa if you'll lend me your mcat score. I promise to give it back as soon as I'm done with it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

aertzin said:
3.7, 29, and University of Maryland. I think my #@*&%^# mcat score is keeping me away. By the way, are you in CA?

I have a proposition for you. I'll lend you my gpa if you'll lend me your mcat score. I promise to give it back as soon as I'm done with it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lol....im from los angeles...i know i wish we can do that but no can do... but im pretty sure we will get in...i mean we are on high priority status...im pretty sure they take that list seriously and not everyone in the world is on it...in addition, if you take a look at the interviewed and accepted stats from us news...
Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 7,702 771 517 254
In-state: 963 265 183 107
Out-of-state: 6,739 506 334 147

517/771 is 67% and 66% out of state.... then you have people who will withdraw from their waitlist spot as soon as they are accepted from another school and that may jump up this % to 75-80 and we are on the high priority list.... so we can jump this up to like 85-90%.... so according to my flawed calculations.. we have atleast an 85% of getting in and thats pretty damn high... the thing we gotta look at though as that the 67% is all the way to matriculation so we have to wait till matriculation for this 85% to take full effect...lol... see nothing to worry about

danesh23 said:
lol....im from los angeles...i know i wish we can do that but no can do... but im pretty sure we will get in...i mean we are on high priority status...im pretty sure they take that list seriously and not everyone in the world is on it...in addition, if you take a look at the interviewed and accepted stats from us news...
Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 7,702 771 517 254
In-state: 963 265 183 107
Out-of-state: 6,739 506 334 147

517/771 is 67% and 66% out of state.... then you have people who will withdraw from their waitlist spot as soon as they are accepted from another school and that may jump up this % to 75-80 and we are on the high priority list.... so we can jump this up to like 85-90%.... so according to my flawed calculations.. we have atleast an 85% of getting in and thats pretty damn high... the thing we gotta look at though as that the 67% is all the way to matriculation so we have to wait till matriculation for this 85% to take full effect...lol... see nothing to worry about

Great! I feel better already. I think I may make an appointment to be measured for my white coat. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, though, I hope the stats you cite hold true for this admissions cycle. Based on the numbers, it looks like we have a good shot. It could be worse, I guess - we could be on the regular wait list. I just can't stand being in limbo like this.

By the way, is Jeff your No. 1 choice? How did a med school 3,000 miles away end up so high on your list? Just curious.

aertzin said:
Great! I feel better already. I think I may make an appointment to be measured for my white coat. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, though, I hope the stats you cite hold true for this admissions cycle. Based on the numbers, it looks like we have a good shot. It could be worse, I guess - we could be on the regular wait list. I just can't stand being in limbo like this.

By the way, is Jeff your No. 1 choice? How did a med school 3,000 miles away end up so high on your list? Just curious.

well...jefferspn is my #1 choice from the schools i interviewed at...i didnt really know about jefferson until i actually came to thier campus and walked around philadelphia.... i just have a really good feeling that I will be happy at this school moreso than at the other schools i interviewed at... and its not like I didnt want to go to schools on the west coast...its just really competetive in CA so I really didnt have a shot with the stats I had..

On a side note... has anyone else heard anything about Jefferson recently? anything?

danesh23 said:
well...jefferspn is my #1 choice from the schools i interviewed at...i didnt really know about jefferson until i actually came to thier campus and walked around philadelphia.... i just have a really good feeling that I will be happy at this school moreso than at the other schools i interviewed at... and its not like I didnt want to go to schools on the west coast...its just really competetive in CA so I really didnt have a shot with the stats I had..

On a side note... has anyone else heard anything about Jefferson recently? anything?

Rumor has it there won't be any significant movement on the wait list until at least the middle of June. That comes from a current student who claims to have connections in the Admissions Office. I don't konw if that's true or not, but it would explain why we haven't heard about a lot of people being taken from the waitlist. I've only heard about one or two - not that the entire llst reads or posts on SDN, however.

I live in New Jersey, right across the river from Philadelphia. Jeff is an excellent med school. I know two current students and they both love it there. And Philly is a happening town. The downtown area doesn't become a ghost town after 5pm, like many other cities. There is always something to do ... not that we would have any time for any of that if we get in. :)

So, bottom line, if what i heard is correct, no need to be sitting by the phone for at least a few more weeks. :(

What do you think they are waiting for? It seems to be the same at Upstate as I called and they told me they haven't really yet begun to call people, but it doesn't seem to be from a lack of withdrawals. I thought most movement came quickly after May 15?

aau22 said:
What do you think they are waiting for? It seems to be the same at Upstate as I called and they told me they haven't really yet begun to call people, but it doesn't seem to be from a lack of withdrawals. I thought most movement came quickly after May 15?

I wish I knew. I don't have any details beyond what I've posted.

aertzin said:
I wish I knew. I don't have any details beyond what I've posted.

Dr. Callahan wrote me back ....this is what she wrote

"This is a bit of an odd year. While we are
still
waiting to hear from a few people who are still holding multiple
accepts,
the bigger "roadblock" is that we also have about 20 people in our
special
programs for whom we are waiting for April MCAT scores so I don't know
that
there will be many people taken from the hold list before mid-June.
Sorry.
CC"

Soooo I guess the guy was right that we have to wait till mid-june... lol... and i dont want to pray that these kids do bad on these mcats so i get in... so oh well....we will have to see... and anyways people who are holding multiple accepts will have to make a decision by june 15 or have all revoked so I think mid-June will be a huge time for us...unfortunately I may be have to be thinking about retaking the mcat by this time if I dont get in...sucks

what are these special programs she is talking about?

danesh23 said:
Dr. Callahan wrote me back ....this is what she wrote

"This is a bit of an odd year. While we are
still
waiting to hear from a few people who are still holding multiple
accepts,
the bigger "roadblock" is that we also have about 20 people in our
special
programs for whom we are waiting for April MCAT scores so I don't know
that
there will be many people taken from the hold list before mid-June.
Sorry.
CC"

Soooo I guess the guy was right that we have to wait till mid-june... lol... and i dont want to pray that these kids do bad on these mcats so i get in... so oh well....we will have to see... and anyways people who are holding multiple accepts will have to make a decision by june 15 or have all revoked so I think mid-June will be a huge time for us...unfortunately I may be have to be thinking about retaking the mcat by this time if I dont get in...sucks

what are these special programs she is talking about?

I know one is the 6 year BA/MD program Jefferson has with Penn State

Clocks said:

Don't count on the people in the 6 year BA/MD program with Penn State to have lousy MCATs. That is an EXTREMELY selective program. I know some very, very smart people who applied and were not accepted.

How are people still holding mutiple accepts? I thought May 15 was the deadline for those holding multiple accepts to pick one and withdraw from the others. :confused: So there are people out there still holding mutiple accepts while folks like us are left hanging and twisting in the wind? Grrrrrr ... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, at least mid-June is only two weeks away!

aertzin said:
Don't count on the people in the 6 year BA/MD program with Penn State to have lousy MCATs. That is an EXTREMELY selective program. I know some very, very smart people who applied and were not accepted.

How are people still holding mutiple accepts? I thought May 15 was the deadline for those holding multiple accepts to pick one and withdraw from the others. :confused: So there are people out there still holding mutiple accepts while folks like us are left hanging and twisting in the wind? Grrrrrr ... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, at least mid-June is only two weeks away!

wait....so how selective is this program... how many do you think they take? also, do you think they are just holding those spots until they hear the scores and then open them afterwards?

Well its easy to hold multiple accepts because the penalty is really low if you have them... just $100 per school? thats really not a deterant....the only real deterant is june 15th where all their accepts will be revoked if they hold on to more than one...so hopefully that scares these people

this is what I read on another site from two people about the BA/MD program:

does anyone know the minimum score required for the MCATs to get into jefferson medical college from the 6yr program? and can you choose between getting a BS or BA degree?

hmm...I believe it was 27 to get into Jefferson (although it is highly recommended you retest to get a 30 and up)

and I remember you get a BS but I forgot in what

that low?!?!? a 27? well at least high schoolers are taking it

http://www.science.psu.edu/premed/6yrpremedprogram.html

Clocks said:

Jeff also has a thing with the Bryn Mawr post-bacc program where if you decide to participate in the program, you take the MCAT in April and if you get a certain score, you're automatically accepted to Jefferson's class for that fall. The catch is that it's binding, so if you get that score, you can't apply anywhere else. I'm guessing these are the numbers they're waiting for.

mules05 said:
Jeff also has a thing with the Bryn Mawr post-bacc program where if you decide to participate in the program, you take the MCAT in April and if you get a certain score, you're automatically accepted to Jefferson's class for that fall. The catch is that it's binding, so if you get that score, you can't apply anywhere else. I'm guessing these are the numbers they're waiting for.

wow....this just makes me even more anxious... wow... seems like medical career hinges on the mcat score of others... feels very helpless

Anxiously awaiting for June 15th... but I am not as lucky as some of you who are on the high priority wait list. I was doomed to get onto the "alternate category". Up side is that I do have a medical school acceptance, but I would sooo much rather go to Jefferson. I have dreams of Dr. Callahan's acceptance phone call, but have a sinking feeling that my dream will not become a reality...

biyanir said:
Anxiously awaiting for June 15th... but I am not as lucky as some of you who are on the high priority wait list. I was doomed to get onto the "alternate category". Up side is that I do have a medical school acceptance, but I would sooo much rather go to Jefferson. I have dreams of Dr. Callahan's acceptance phone call, but have a sinking feeling that my dream will not become a reality...

I'm not sure who the lucky one is. I may be on the high priority list at Jeff, but at least you have somewhere to go in August. At this point, I don't ... :(

aertzin said:
I'm not sure who the lucky one is. I may be on the high priority list at Jeff, but at least you have somewhere to go in August. At this point, I don't ... :(

me too...i dont have a home yet... I just keep sending letters and calling and hopefully they will see how much I wanna go. Its wierd how she apologized in the letter and said its an odd year...I dont know about you guys, but that sounds really bad. I dont know how there is a 67% acceptance rate after interview last year. I think that the admissions committee really presented themselves well this year and had a lot of people think twice about Jefferson and maybe they just had much less withdrawals because of that. I mean I didnt know much about Jeff before I came there but they surely impressed me once I was there. I think it made the same impact on everyone else so it doesnt look do good for me.

has anyone called Dr. Callahan personally and spoken to her about the waitlist? do you think it would be a wise course of action?

danesh23 said:
has anyone called Dr. Callahan personally and spoken to her about the waitlist? do you think it would be a wise course of action?

Probably not. I doubt that you'd get through anyway.

biyanir said:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? What school are you currently accepted to?

you know... we should pay attention to the date people start getting their mcat scores... i believe they are saying its june 7th... so I hope we should be hearing some calls by then because there are these "special programs" that are contingent on specific mcat scores and if they dont cut it, they wont get accepted...on a side note... how many if you guys knew of special undergraduate/medical school programs during high school? i didnt ...i only applied to one, i didnt know there were like 30 of em...damn

danesh23 said:
you know... we should pay attention to the date people start getting their mcat scores... i believe they are saying its june 7th... so I hope we should be hearing some calls by then because there are these "special programs" that are contingent on specific mcat scores and if they dont cut it, they wont get accepted...on a side note... how many if you guys knew of special undergraduate/medical school programs during high school? i didnt ...i only applied to one, i didnt know there were like 30 of em...damn

I hope you're right on the mcat score date. Once the scores are out, Jeff will know how many people it can take off the wait list. I wish I knew where I stand on the list, or even how many people are on it. Am I the next one to be taken from the list, or are there 17 people ahead of me? Grrrrrrrrr ..... I can't stand not having a clue .... I can't stand the waiting ..... :( :( :(

I knew of the Penn State/Jeff program in high school, but my grades and SAT score weren't in the stratosphere necessary to be considered for that (or any other similar) program. No sense fretting about it now.

Hey danesh, I just noticed that of the 92 previous posts on this thread you and I are responsible for 47 of them. I think we should relay that fact to Dr. Callahan as indicative of our high level of interest in attending Jefferson Medical College. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

aertzin said:
Hey danesh, I just noticed that of the 92 previous posts on this thread you and I are responsible for 47 of them. I think we should relay that fact to Dr. Callahan as indicative of our high level of interest in attending Jefferson Medical College. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

well i do e-mail her like every week and call every week... i mean she knows that I am interested...its all up to her and the admissions committee now... i doubt they really look at sdn anyways... i just wanna c who are on the waitlist and if they heard anything because its really bothering me... i am starting to look at post-bacc programs.. unfortunately it is kind of late... do u know any that have a straight link to a medical school if you do well? all i know is the drexel one but i think they need to the gre and i havent take it and its due on july 1

danesh23 said:
well i do e-mail her like every week and call every week... i mean she knows that I am interested...its all up to her and the admissions committee now... i doubt they really look at sdn anyways... i just wanna c who are on the waitlist and if they heard anything because its really bothering me... i am starting to look at post-bacc programs.. unfortunately it is kind of late... do u know any that have a straight link to a medical school if you do well? all i know is the drexel one but i think they need to the gre and i havent take it and its due on july 1

I was just kidding ... as indicated by the laughing icons!!! I'm sure Callahan doesn't give a rat's a## about postings on SDN.

As mentioned above, Bryn Mawr has such a direct link program. Those are likely the folks whose mcat scores will determine our fate. :(

taylormade44 said:
If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? What school are you currently accepted to?

I am accepted at Drexel and I have a 30 MCAT and 3.6 overall GPA and 3.5 BCPM

danesh23 said:

I called and talked to Dr. Callahan a couple of weeks ago about the difference between the two waitlists. She told me that the "high priority waitlist" is composed of people that were almost accepted and were basically next in line for an acceptance. But then she went on to say that there isnt really that big a difference between the two waitlists and that people do get taken of off both waitlists... but she may have just said that to make me feel better. What you need to know, however, is that all of you on the high priority wait list have a very good chance of still being accepted. I just hope there aren't that many people on the high priority waitlist so that I can still be accepted after you all have been. Hope that helps clear some things up.

biyanir said:
I called and talked to Dr. Callahan a couple of weeks ago about the difference between the two waitlists. She told me that the "high priority waitlist" is composed of people that were almost accepted and were basically next in line for an acceptance. But then she went on to say that there isnt really that big a difference between the two waitlists and that people do get taken of off both waitlists... but she may have just said that to make me feel better. What you need to know, however, is that all of you on the high priority wait list have a very good chance of still being accepted. I just hope there aren't that many people on the high priority waitlist so that I can still be accepted after you all have been. Hope that helps clear some things up.

Thanks for the post, biyanir. I sure hope you're right regarding the "very good chance of still being accepted." All we can do is sit and wait and hope the phone call comes.

The folks on the mcat thread are saying the april mcat scores will be released on June 12th or 13th. I hope they're right. Anything that brings D-(decision) Day one day closer ...