Jefferson waitlist movement thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmarchufl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had or heard of movement on the Jefferson waitlist now that May 15th is here. It's my first choice and even though I'm on other lists this is the one I'm really hoping for. I think they actually give you an impression on their waitlisted letter as to what "category" you are in, at least mine did. Did anyone else's letter say something like that? Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

I am waiting for Jefferson as well. The letter said that I was in the high priority category and was very encouraging. But as the days go by I am starting to consider them less and less. Although I loved Jefferson when I was there for my interview, in-state tuition is very enticing. Anyone else get off the waitlist yet?

Also on the high priority list- would love to know if anyone hears. Please keep me updated and I will do the same.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
also...wondering if anyone knows how many people are on the high priority list?

How many applicants usually get accepted off of the alternate lists?

Jefferson accepted 420 students for 255 spots. :confused:

I got the "high priority" rating, too. I'm starting to think that they must have put everyone in this so-called high priority category???

Has anyone heard of any other category label out of Jefferson? I know I haven't.

I just dropped my spot at Jefferson as will my boyfriend so two more spots to you guys! Good luck! It's an awesome school!

I got the "high priority" rating, too. I'm starting to think that they must have put everyone in this so-called high priority category???

Has anyone heard of any other category label out of Jefferson? I know I haven't.

There are definitely two lists. Not everyone is in the high priority category. There is another "non-high priority" category. I'm not sure what they call that one. I've seen it referred to on SDN as the "alternate list," although I'm not sure if that's the term Jefferson uses.

Being on the high priority list obviously improves your chances of getting in. But, there were people on the high priority list last year who didn't get in. It's going to depend on how many people with multiple acceptances withdraw from Jefferson and waitlist movement at other schools. As some people get off the waitlist at their preferred school, they withdraw from Jeff which opens up a spot. That process will continue well into July. I've heard of people getting off the waitlist at Jefferson literally the week before classes start. So, hang in there. It's far from over at this point. Good luck!

duplicate post

There are two waitlist categories; high-priority and alternate, but every year people will get pulled from both. Faculty and students I know have told me anywhere from 10-25% of the class will come off the waitlist in any given year.

Just hang in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
does the adcom meet on any day...or does anyone know if there has been movement, or when movement will start. The suspense is killing me!

I was fortunate enough to receive a call from Dr. Callahan at the end of last week. I was on the HP Waitlist.

Best of luck to all of you -- I know how you are feeling, so hang in there! :) My recommendation is to express genuine interest to Dr. Callahan through letters -- I put a lot of thought into these, describing specifically how Jefferson is a great fit for my interests. To keep in touch between letters, I called the admissions office a couple of times to express my ongoing interest. If Jefferson is your first choice, I would also let them know that explicitly.

Wishing you all the best -- the list is starting to move! :luck: :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
stillremains: had you been accepted elsewhere? I remember Dr. Callahan saying that students who had not been were given preference and I was just wondering if that were true.

Thanks.

Hi medbound -- Fortunately, I did have some other acceptances, and the admissions office was aware of these. Feel free to PM me with any questions regarding my specific situation.

I was fortunate enough to receive a call from Dr. Callahan at the end of last week. I was on the HP Waitlist.

Best of luck to all of you -- I know how you are feeling, so hang in there! :) My recommendation is to express genuine interest to Dr. Callahan through letters -- I put a lot of thought into these, describing specifically how Jefferson is a great fit for my interests. To keep in touch between letters, I called the admissions office a couple of times to express my ongoing interest. If Jefferson is your first choice, I would also let them know that explicitly.

Wishing you all the best -- the list is starting to move! :luck: :luck:

Yes, I agree with stillremains; I just got a call from Dr. Callahan today (and i was about to submit my reapplication end of this week!) and was accepted off the HP list. I sent about 4 emails to her since finding out i was on the waitlist, and I've heard people sent more than that (some do them on a weekly basis). However, with each letter I had paragraphs detailing reasons why I was a suitable candidate-- e.g. enjoyed my college volunteering experience that was greatly similar to JeffHope and loved it when I interviewed there...blah blah blah. Honestly, just let them know that you really are interested. GOOD LUCK!!!

thanks tiffvin! you're an inspiration to us all :thumbup::love::thumbup:

posted this in the other jefferson waitlist thread, but this one seems a bit more popular...

I was taken off of the HP waitlist and offered a spot by Dr. Callahan on May 15th. They gave me a couple days to decide but sorrowfully I had to withdraw due to other offers which were better for me, but they are taking people so best of luck to you all!

I previously had sent I think three email updates to Dr. Callahan...they seem to reach her pretty quickly are were answered quickly as well.

best of luck everyone!

Hi everyone! I received my phone call from Dean Callahan a few days ago! Keep up the hope and as per the suggestion of other posters send a longer, thought out letter as opposed to just check up e-mails. Atleast that is what I did (and then got the phone call the next day). Best of luck and let me know if you have other questions. Thanks for your suggestion stillremains, looking forward to august.

Yay! Congrats tiffvin and medbound! :D

Sending emails to the dean while you're on the waitlist? :eek:

Does that work for other schools (e.g. Canadian ones) as well?

peculiar to most canadian skules

letters to the dean after interviews are frowned upon!

:(

Hey Everyone, I think I'm about to give up my spot, so don't give up. :) Good luck!

When is a good day to stop hoping? I am dying to go to Jefferson, but don't know when I no longer have a realistic shot of going...I looked at last year's waitlist movement and it mentioned stuff about Post-Bac students getting in, and after june 20th, there would be movement...is that the same for this year and if so what day is the "June 20th" day?

Thanks

When is a good day to stop hoping? I am dying to go to Jefferson, but don't know when I no longer have a realistic shot of going...I looked at last year's waitlist movement and it mentioned stuff about Post-Bac students getting in, and after june 20th, there would be movement...is that the same for this year and if so what day is the "June 20th" day?

Thanks

Unless you are on the high priority list, today would be a good day to stop hoping.

I am on the high priority waitlist...and you still never answered my question...is there a date where Post-Bac kids get accepted now?

Koenen.

Was your comment based on hard knowledge of how the wait list is moving and prioritized this year?

Or was it just a little bit of sarcastic black humor?

My comment is based on a little inside knowledge of how the wait lists operate at Jeff. The bottom line is that if you are on the "alternate" list, and not in one of several special categories, you are bound to be very disappointed sitting around waiting for a phone call for the next 5 weeks.

You probably read that Jeff "takes people from both (high priority and alternate) lists every year." True, but misleading and likely to give a lot of people false hope. Ask yourself a question. Why would Jeff take someone from the alternate list ahead of someone from the high priority list? Those on the HP list are there for a reason, right? They had better stats, better ECs, had a better interview, etc. So why would an alternate list candidate get picked over an HP candidate?

Well, the answer is that there are several special categories of candidates - URMs, candidates from the state of Delaware (from which Jeff is committed to accept a certain number each year), and candidates from linked post-bacc programs (for whom Jeff reserves a certain number of spots each year). If someone accepted from one of these categories withdraws, Jeff will attempt to replace him/her with another candidate from that category in order to maintain the required/desired numbers. In order to do so, they sometimes have to go to the alternate list. But that is the only way someone from the alternate list is going to get in over someone from the HP list.

So, if you are an alternate list candidate, and not in one of the special categories, no need to sit by the phone. There are just far too many people applying and accepting offers of admission for them to get to the alternate list outside of special category situations.

I am on the high priority waitlist...and you still never answered my question...is there a date where Post-Bac kids get accepted now?

June 20 only had significance last year because that is the date the April MCAT scores were released. Decisions could not be made on some of the linked post-bacc candidates until those scores came out.

So, it's not like there's a certain date when Jeff makes decisions on all post-bacc candidates. Like every other candidate, it's a function of when thier files, including MCAT scores, are complete.

:love:

Best of luck in your Dramatic Career !

Where will you end up. Perhaps next season of "Scrubs"?

Hey guys...I got the call. Best of luck to anyone out there still waiting. Hope to see you on campus

congrats, when did you get the call? and if you don't mind me asking, what were you're stats and how often did you update Jefferson?

This past week. I have a 3.5 and above a 10 on all sections of my mcats. I was on the high priority list (hope this helps)

I'm wondering if there will be any movement this week, given that there is a holiday.

Anyone know how much wait list movement to expect in general since it is already July and MS1 start date for most schools is 1 to 1.5 months away?

Hi everyone. I got the call from Dr. Callahan on July 5 and I was on the high priority waitlist. I had been emailing her the past couple months to update on how the movement was going, and asked if there was anything I could do at this point. She had told me that all I could do was wait =/ But don't lose hope she is still waiting on some people with multiple acceptances to choose a school. Just keep waiting it out!

Well....still nothing for me. Guess me and my family are moving to Virginia for VCU. Don't get me wrong...VCU is pretty awesome. It's just that family and friends are all here in the Philly area. Would have been a lot easier on my wife and daughter if we stayed, but what will be will be.

I'm pretty much abandoning hope for Jeff....good luck to everyone else still holding out hope.