JGMESB Residency Application - ROTC Experience on CV?

Started by hobbesdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hobbesdoc

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm applying to residency this fall via JGMESB as a non-HPSP (ROTC Ed Delay) student. I found my time as a cadet to have significantly shaped who I am, in terms of leadership, teamwork, and resilience; these are all skills I value in medicine. I commissioned through ROTC and went straight into medical school, but I'd like to include these experiences on my CV if possible while applying to residency. Would this be something frowned upon, or could I possibly include my training (Small unit tactics, AASLT school, cadet leadership roles) as professional experience? Thanks!
 
feel free to include some of it but don’t expect it to do anything other than check the “does this guy know anything about the military” box when it’s being reviewed by program directors. They are going to care a lot more about your medical school stuff. I wouldn’t go too hard on granular detail of the rotc experience,
 
feel free to include some of it but don’t expect it to do anything other than check the “does this guy know anything about the military” box when it’s being reviewed by program directors. They are going to care a lot more about your medical school stuff. I wouldn’t go too hard on granular detail of the rotc experience,
Makes sense to me. Thanks for the advice!
 
I included some of my similar background (not quite ROTC, but sorta) and it just so happened that the PD at the program I matched to had a similar background. It opened the door to conversation and topics that I think helped me get in the door.

At the very least, if it's something you're proud of, you had good leadership experience, and you can bring it up in conversation in a positive light, wouldn't hurt to include it. But agree that it's not going to make or break you.