JHU vs. Pritzker (full-ride)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where would you go?

• JHU (no finaid)

Votes: 32 23.7%
  • Pritzker (full ride)

Votes: 102 75.6%

• Total voters

jbonebob2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you guys go out of these two? Would it be ridiculous to turn down a full ride?

I am not a troll.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm almost too scared to vote:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have the means to pay for Hopkins? Will you mind having over $100,000 in debt? Do you really want to live in Baltimore? Do you really want to live in Chicago?

Make a list of pros and cons. But I would keep that huge amount of money on top. I am a big proponent of the idea that if you're going to be successful, you'll be successful regardless of the school. An MD is an MD (for the most part...)

You know, I could better make this decision if you told us the price difference (including living expenses) would be between each school.

Hmm. Hopkins is legendary. Their matchlist is great. They also have some of the most miserable students in the country. Pritzker is the in the top 20. They also have a very good matchlist. Unless having a greater chance of matching into Harvard or Hopkins is like one of your main priorities, I see no justification for turning down 100 k +. If you're a good student, you'll be a good student at Chicago or Hopkins. And unless there's a particular PI at Hopkins you want to work with, there's so much research at both institutions that you'll be able to do what you want.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The difference in cost between the two would be about $120-150K.

By the time I pay it back, that would be at least $200K.

I guess I just wish there was some way to quantify exactly what the JHU name gives you in terms of future career prospects.

Hmm. Hopkins is legendary. Their matchlist is great. They also have some of the most miserable students in the country. Pritzker is the in the top 20. They also have a very good matchlist. Unless having a greater chance of matching into Harvard or Hopkins is like one of your main priorities, I see no justification for turning down 100 k +. If you're a good student, you'll be a good student at Chicago or Hopkins. And unless there's a particular PI at Hopkins you want to work with, there's so much research at both institutions that you'll be able to do what you want.

This has not been my experience. I've had the opportunity to interact with a good number of students at Hopkins, and all of them are very happy to be there.

As much as I love Hopkins, I chose the full ride at Pritzker for the following reasons:

(1) Pritzker is a great school (top 15 now, as previously posted) in a great city.
(2) Everyone is talking about matchlists...take a look at Pritzker's this year.
(3) $$$
(4) I want to go to Hopkins ;)

assuming that the nature of your acceptances (highly regarded schools, offer of a full tuition scholarship) are indicative of your future potential as a medical student, it really won't matter where you go. in which case, go to pritzker, and use the $150k in loans for living expenses - i.e. rent at the four seasons for 4 years.

scratch that - at the lowest rate of $300/night, 4 years at the four seasons would amount to about $500k, without room service.

I have a friend who took a full-ride to Mayo last year over a full-ride to Hopkins...I think that without money from Hopkins it is difficult to justify that much debt...of course I am biased

I have a friend who took a full-ride to Mayo last year over a full-ride to Hopkins...I think that without money from Hopkins it is difficult to justify that much debt...of course I am biased

Does Hopkins offer full rides? I've never heard of this.

Danjo, you changed your picture back! Now you just need to change your name back, and all will be back to normal.

Members don't see this ad :)

Danjo, you changed your picture back! Now you just need to change your name back, and all will be back to normal.

I know for a fact my friend was offered one he got a call last year around May (he was waitlisted initially) I was standing right next to him when he got it.

I know for a fact my friend was offered one he got a call last year around May (he was waitlisted initially) I was standing right next to him when he got it.

Damn, that must be sweet. I can't believe he turned it down.

Damn, that must be sweet. I can't believe he turned it down.

i think he liked the personal attention and small class size at Mayo...we both are from the same undergrad school and it is quite small 2000 students

i thought full scholarships were reserved for those outstanding candidates that the schools do not want to lose; i.e. people who wouldn't make it onto the waitlist in the first place.

i thought full scholarships were reserved for those outstanding candidates that the schools do not want to lose; i.e. people who wouldn't make it onto the waitlist in the first place.

or students they really want off the waitlist...they dont want to go too deep into the waitlist...they also knew he already had a full ride at Mayo

why not tell hopkins you got a full ride? see if they will match it or at least make it closer if thats where you really want to go

I get the feeling this is going to get more and more use the next couple of months...

picard.jpg

I get the feeling this is going to get more and more use the next couple of months...

picard.jpg

:thumbdown: That was funny the first time, stupid the second.

:laugh: I had to bring Austin back. Jake's hat was out of season, and I am too lazy to look through a bunch of his more recent pics to use.

BTW Towelie, do you think you could give Hopkins a call for me? Tell them that you will only matriculate there if a submariner named "Bubblehead-to-MD" is offered admission this week! ;)

BTW Towelie, do you think you could give Hopkins a call for me? Tell them that you will only matriculate there if a submariner named "Bubblehead-to-MD" is offered admission this week! ;)

Done.

Good luck. Hopefully I'll be seeing you at the second look :D

or students they really want off the waitlist...they dont want to go too deep into the waitlist...they also knew he already had a full ride at Mayo

uh. i doubt that he was offered a full ride at hopkins in the sense of a "merit scholarship"

something tells me they knew he wanted to go to mayo and so simply matched the financial offer. hopkins has DEEP pockets.

gah I wish I could get into Hopkins.

uh. i doubt that he was offered a full ride at hopkins in the sense of a "merit scholarship"

something tells me they knew he wanted to go to mayo and so simply matched the financial offer. hopkins has DEEP pockets.

gah I wish I could get into Hopkins.

They may have deep pockets, but I would imagine at least 25% of their accepted students have full rides elsewhere. It would be tough to match all of that.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The difference in cost between the two would be about $120-150K.

By the time I pay it back, that would be at least $200K.

I guess I just wish there was some way to quantify exactly what the JHU name gives you in terms of future career prospects.

You're in luck, I can quantify it exactly.

"what the JHU name gives you in terms of future career prospects" <<<< $120-$150k.

I'm not calling the OP a troll since I know that some people have serious questions about this stuff, but come on man. You are talking about premier institutions of higher education. Trying to decide whether the name of one is worth more than $100,000 is just silly.

If you turn down a FULL RIDE TO THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO you are neurotic to the point of insanity.

You're in luck, I can quantify it exactly.

"what the JHU name gives you in terms of future career prospects" <<<< $120-$150k.

I'm not calling the OP a troll since I know that some people have serious questions about this stuff, but come on man. You are talking about premier institutions of higher education. Trying to decide whether the name of one is worth more than $100,000 is just silly.

If you turn down a FULL RIDE TO THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO you are neurotic to the point of insanity.

I am neurotic to the point of insanity.

But I still doubt I will turn down the scholarship.

I am neurotic to the point of insanity.

But I still doubt I will turn down the scholarship.

Awesome. :D

Congratulations by the way, despite all the snarkiness in my previous post it sounds like you should be pretty proud of yourself.

Awesome. :D

Congratulations by the way, despite all the snarkiness in my previous post it sounds like you should be pretty proud of yourself.

Thanks. There's nothing wrong with a good dose of snarkiness. :D