Job before podiatry school starts? input appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawaiinchick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to maybe get some current students opinions on this about what you did the summer before school started? I recently got a job working as an analyst for an insurance company. It's full time. I've had this previous year off from school and have been doing research with a part time job, which has been more or less easy going and I've been slightly bored at times. I think the job would be a pretty good experience in general, in terms of learning about insurance and the business side of healthcare and could be good on my resume, but am worried about becoming tired/too burnt out before school? I've never had a full time 'big person' job before so I'm not sure. Should I continue to take it easy before school starts or take the opportunity to do the job for a few months?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should go for it. Learning the ins and outs of insurance isn't really the take home. The money will be nice, but isn't that important either (but its nice). The big thing is the experience - working for a company, being part of a team, having a boss, communicating with coworkers, and seeing life outside of medicine. My job showed me a lot of things - behaviors to emulate (and the reverse), effective leadership styles, how hard it can be to make a living. Also, it turns out there are things out there more unpleasant/draining than what we do. So go get some perspective on life (and save the money, you'll need it).

Reactions: 1 user
Go for it! You will already be rolling along keeping busy, Pod school won't be such a shock to your system. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright thanks guys! Appreciate the input I think I'm going to take it

Honestly if you do take the job I would recommend taking a vacation somewhere before you start. It is probably my biggest regret that I didn't take some time off in between undergrad and pod school to travel because once you get into school mode you won't stop until 4th year.

I've been working for Uber driving around town for some extra cash while I wait to start residency, I work a few hours on the weekends and pull in about ~$30-35 an hour. Worth looking into if you want a job you can quit easily when you need to.

If you have any questions about it I'd gladly answer them for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users