Job Dilemma-Not sure what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedhockeynut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to some extenuating family circumstances, my pre-med path has taken an odd course. Currently, I've got my BS and I've been working as an ER scribe for about a year and a half. I'm lacking my MCAT, some volunteering, and actually applying. I love my job more days than not. The experience is invaluable and the relationship I have with (most of) my providers is second to none. I train and I am, for all intents and purposes, management. I love all of my co-workers and I am as happy as a scribe can be. The only problem is, as anyone who has ever been a scribe knows, my salary isn't great. I know that it could be worse and I do get more than my base rate intermittently. I also feel a sense of loyalty to my company and don't want to leave them in the lurch while we're short-staffed. But, due to those family circumstances, money has become the biggest issue I have at the moment.

Currently, I have an offer as a unit clerk at one of my hospitals. The pay is much better (I'd be making more than I do now for less hours), the hours are consistent (no more crazy nights and quick turnarounds), the benefits are better, I'd have more time to focus on my MCAT and said family circumstances, and I'd get to continue working in a place I enjoy. But, it's looking more and more like I would have to give up scribing completely.

Is it going to look bad on me with admission committees that I quit scribing (I've done my time and have about 2,600 hours worth of clinical experience)? That I gave up my leadership position after less than a year in it? That I gave up such good experience, working directly with physicians and being present for patient encounters, to be a unit secretary? I think these questions are haunting me more than what it should be about....what's best for me? If money were no issue, I'd stick with being a scribe in a heartbeat. I get enjoy every time I get to watch a procedure or every time I guess the correct diagnosis. Even though my schedule is crazy, I secretly love it. But, I do find myself working a ridiculous amount of hours to earn more, to the point I rarely have any time to do anything else (and I'm not even complaining because I enjoy my job).

Of course each opportunity has their pros and cons, but I'm having an incredibly hard time making a decision on this. I'm stuck in a very awkward situation. I just need some solid advice on this situation or a good sounding board.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to see what others say about this as well, but I can tell you that 2600 hours of clinical and employment experience is pretty spectacular for an applicant (most people have a few hundred of each), and I think you are at a big advantage with something like that on your application (given all of your other activities are in place). The fact that you're asking if it would be looked down upon if you quit makes me personally feel like that's the main thing holding you back from doing it. If I were in your shoes, I'd quit for the higher paying job with less hours. At the end of the day, your goal is to be a doctor and not a scribe, even if you love it right now. Gotta make some sacrifices to rock your MCAT and balance your finances and personal time. Good luck my friend

Edit: I have no ADCOM experience, but I would be extremely shocked if someone would hold changing jobs against you. Sounds like you're making a mature decision

Reactions: 1 user
Quit the scribe job and get the higher paying job. Your interviewers and admissions committees will not look down on this decision. It might come up in interviews so be prepared to talk about it, but you have exponentially more clinical exposure than the vast majority of applicants. Yes longitudinal commitments are important, but they're not so important that they come before family or needing money to live or support someone.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@HybridEarth Thank you for your response. I'd be lying if I said that wasn't something holding me back, but it's not the only thing. I'm worried I'll hate the new job, even though I am in a position to see what a typical day is like for that person. I'm scared the promised overtime won't pan out, but even then I think I might be better off financially. Again, I work at this facility and I'm not blind to what goes on around me. My responsibilities with my scribe job hold me back as well. I know that all parties involved understand my situation, and no matter what my decision might be, there will be no hard feelings. This is just an awkward position to be in.

@Ismet Thank you for your response. I know that I need to do what is best for my family and myself, whatever that might be. There are just so many factors that make it difficult to choose.

Thank you both for your input. I think that was something I needed to hear from someone who is on the same track or who has been there before, co-workers excluded.

I hope you made the decision to try out the higher paying job! I am in this position right now. My family is drowning in medical debt and our cable, internet, phone and well as other things have been shut off due to not being paid. My mom has too much pride and did not admit it was not unpaid for a few months =(

I'm stressing out a lot about money as I grew up in poverty and I'm always pushing off taking MCAT or studying because my family is always struggling with bills..=( The feedback from your post makes sense for me to apply for a higher paying job. Though, my issue is putting so much effort into my new job and getting used to the new working environment and people that I forego studying for studying my MCAT (AGAIN).