Job Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vigs1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does being a nurse's assistant help a lot in the admission process? I am trying to get about 2000 hours of patient care too help me out because of my 3.1 GPA 3.9 science 28 MCAT. Do I have a shot at an allopathic?

Members don't see this ad.

Does being a nurse's assistant help a lot in the admission process? I am trying to get about 2000 hours of patient care too help me out because of my 3.1 GPA 3.9 science 28 MCAT. Do I have a shot at an allopathic?

I doubt that having a lot of hours overcomes numerical issues. There will be plenty of people with good ECs AND good numerical stats. Bringing up your numerical stats is higher yield. You are probably low borderline for allo -- a strong postbac/SMP might be a good idea if that is your goal.

Wait, if your total QPA is 3.1 with a 3.9 BCPM, how many non-BCPM classes have you taken and what is your non-BCPM QPA? What was your MCAT breakdown? These could be *huge* red flags.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a post bac all science. My undergrad was a 2.76

You'll never know unless you try, and none of us here are on any admissions boards so we cant exactly tell you what they will think. With that said, I would go for the CNA or anything else that will help show you are dedicated. I've worked as a CNA for the past year and I'm hoping it will help my chances when I apply in May as well. If you're looking to log 2,000 hours thats gonna take at least a year so why not retake the MCAT during that time and try for a 30+?

I think M.D. would be a longshot, but you'd have a decent chance at D.O.. It wouldn't hurt to retake the MCAT if you think you can do better, but I think the main issue is your GPA. I've known several people with similar (or lower) GPAs who have gotten into good M.D. schools but they all (all 3 of them, anyway) had an MCAT score in the mid-30's and had gotten a MPH. I think either a MPH or SMP would be a good option for you at this point and if you can bring up that MCAT score, it would really help your chances. Good luck. I know it's a long, frustrating process, but it sound like you're working hard. Keep up the good work and you'll get there.

Although CNA is great it will not make up for numbers. There are many applicants applying with excellent numbers and great volunteering experience. All you can do is apply to as many as you can and see what happens but do not expect one thing to make up for the other.