Job hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hye345

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours a day/week does a typical optometrist work? Preferably one in private practice? Do they compare to dentists or physicians in this department? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for my optometrist - he works 3 days (27 hours) a week. The OD that works for him works about the same, I believe, but also works at another office part-time. He works beside a Pearle Vision, but he owns it and the building that he works in, so I guess that would be considered private practice?...

My OD is a farmer on the side, so while he's not in the office he's tending to his farm :) (he's a goat breeder)

I can only speak for my optometrist - he works 3 days (27 hours) a week. The OD that works for him works about the same, I believe, but also works at another office part-time. He works beside a Pearle Vision, but he owns it and the building that he works in, so I guess that would be considered private practice?...

My OD is a farmer on the side, so while he's not in the office he's tending to his farm :) (he's a goat breeder)

:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
haha... yes, I'm serious! He breeds goats! :D

I think I average about 35 hours a week. I work 10-6 with a one hour lunch.

I think I average about 35 hours a week. I work 10-6 with a one hour lunch.

Damn! Thats good! And you work in commercial!

BTW, since you are commercial, I'm wondering: Do you get paid less because you work such few hours?

Now that is one weird combo of professions!

All that I've heard would suggest that optometrists seem to average between roughly 34 and 38 hours a week, I guess. I think my own optom works about 34. There's an admissions pamphlet put available to prospective students at Waterloo's Optometry school that says the average Canadian optometrists works something like 37 hours/week.