Job hunting during a pandemic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogogurt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from residency last June and took a job at an FQHC. For a number of reasons I won't go into the work environment has been less than ideal and definitely not what I was told it would be when I accepted the position. I've had conversations with leadership but haven't seen much improvement. Prior to COVID I had been considering moving on, partly because of the work environment and partly because I've been reevaluating whether full-time outpatient FM is really the right fit for me. I had also been considering doing locums for awhile to try out different things and locations.

I had originally thought about looking for jobs/locums assignments now with the plan of starting somewhere new this winter. Now, with COVID, I am considering staying put, but I'm also really unhappy in my present environment and more aware than ever that life is too short to be miserable. I'm wondering if there are others who are looking for work now and what you are experiencing? Also wondering if anyone working locums could weigh in both on what it's like to look for assignments and move from assignment to assignment right now and what their thoughts would be on doing locums a year out of residency (a little concerned about being on my own while still a new attending). Thanks in advance for any help, advice or experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep I'm looking for a job right now.
Yes places are on hiring freezes.
However, it still seems like there are decent opportunities out there for FM.
I won't go in to detail since I'm trying to remain anonymous, but I have a unique situation and am not just looking for "traditional" FM jobs and still I've applied a lot of places and have had several interview so far.
I was also thinking about locums until I can figure out exactly "what I want to do for the rest of my life" and although I haven't responded to any of the job postings, it seems like locums is still going strong.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Dude, FM has all the job opps. It's sickening how recruiters stalk us. I'm a second year resident and signed a hospitalist gig last week. Clean up your CV and start posting it. You'll get bites in no time!