job market...and outlook.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am just wondering how is the job market for physician assistants out there right now? How about California? It would be nice if any actually PAs can give me an insight answer with this bad economy. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

when I graduated pa school there were 7 jobs for each grad with most of us having offers before graduation.
the market is a bit tighter now with maybe 3-4 jobs/new grad and most new grads have a job within a month or 2 of graduation.
a couple things make the future look bright for pa's:
decreasing resident hrs (now 80, may go to 56) creates openings for pa's.
increasing federal compensation in primary care creates more primary care jobs.many of these are in health provider shortage areas where physicians traditionally don't want to work.
a shortaqe of physicians in every specialty means specialty md groups will add pa's to do "bread and butter " types of cases leaving the more difficult cases for themselves.
more physicians than ever are focusing on life/work balance. they hire pa's to take call, do am rounds, etc so they can go to little johnny's soccer game.
pa's now work in all branches of the military, the peace corps, the cia, the state dept, etc
pa's are being utilized in more international settings every yr. england, australia, new zealand, canada, etc are all experimenting with the pa concept.

as a former california pa I can tell you things there are as they always were for pa's:
coastal/big city jobs are harder to get than jobs in the middle of the state. if your goal is just to "work in california" no problem. if you have a specific city in mind you can probably find a job there but initially you might have to work in a field other than your dream job( say primary care instead of em or surgery).
bottom line:anyone who graduates from pa school and passes the boards will never be out of work.

E, your point is spot on. Ya gotta be at least A LITTLE flexible on location. I had a prospective student complaining because he talked to a doc in Columbus, GA (not a huge city) who would not GUARANTEE him a job IF he actually got in school and finished. He actually considered not even going to school if he could not be guaranteed a job in his location of choice. Stupid!!!

E, your point is spot on. Ya gotta be at least A LITTLE flexible on location. I had a prospective student complaining because he talked to a doc in Columbus, GA (not a huge city) who would not GUARANTEE him a job IF he actually got in school and finished. He actually considered not even going to school if he could not be guaranteed a job in his location of choice. Stupid!!!

THANKS A LOT! :p

Just kidding... but I am pretty sure I am the prospective student who complained about Columbus being full of anesthetists (unless there is some other joker on the forum who wants to go to AA school and live in Columbus).

Just out of curiosity... what is the likelihood that a particular area can get totally saturated with recently graduated AA's/PA's? I specify that they be "recently graduated" to suggest that they won't be retiring any time soon, which would seem to ensure that most/all jobs in the area would be filled for the long-term.

I am mostly inquiring in reference to the job prospects for AA's, but this issue should be relevant to general PA's as well.

And for the record... have you actually heard whether or not Columbus is full? :D