Job Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbcnp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a sophomore in college and I am about to make a decision on a possible career. I know there are three new optometry schools opening up and I am kind of worried that if I chose optometry as a career, I might have a difficult time getting a job. So I wanted to ask current optometrists/graduating students if they had a difficult time getting a job once they graduated. Specifically I am looking to stay in the Illinois/Chicago area but I would consider relocating if necessary. Anyway, I look forward to reading your responses. :)

Members don't see this ad.

It's easy to find a job. It's much more difficult to find a good one and one you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
There have been several posts on ODwire of recent grads not being able to find hardly any work in some metro areas.

The new schools definitely are not going to help any of us.

It's easy to find a job. It's much more difficult to find a good one and one you like.

It seems more and more like optometry is going to be like pharmacy where most people work at their local walmart, walgreens, cvs, etc because private practice can't compete with the low rates of these companies. I don't really mind working at any of those places as long as I can get a job. Ive heard two sides. Some people say that it is impossible to get a job period and others say that it is easy to find a job at a major store but hard to get a good job. I know part of it has to do with location but with 3 new schools coming, I don't want to chose this as a career when I can't find a job period. I am really interested in this career so income isn't as important to me, its mostly getting a job. Will getting a job in the suburbs of say Chicago or any other major city be tough and competitive or will it be fairly easy. Sorry if this question is too specific to be answered right now, but any reply would be awesome.

Also, I keep hearing that a lot of Optometrist are working to block these schools(or other new schools) from opening and letting in students. Is there any chance that these schools won't open or are their voices not being heard?

I am really interested in this career so income isn't as important to me, its mostly getting a job.

The problem with just "getting a job" at a corporate place is that you'll be doing glorified refractions all day everyday.

Will getting a job in the suburbs of say Chicago or any other major city be tough and competitive or will it be fairly easy. Sorry if this question is too specific to be answered right now, but any reply would be awesome.

My guess is that it's next to impossible to find a good job in or around Chicago. You're almost guaranteed to wind up in a refraction mill. At least that's what I've heard.

Also, I keep hearing that a lot of Optometrist are working to block these schools(or other new schools) from opening and letting in students. Is there any chance that these schools won't open or are their voices not being heard?

Not a chance. As long as they have students willing to pay tuition, those schools will open and no one will be able to a damn thing about it. Certainly not our beloved AOA, which from what I can tell, can't do anything about anything.

Good luck!

It seems more and more like optometry is going to be like pharmacy where most people work at their local walmart, walgreens, cvs, etc because private practice can't compete with the low rates of these companies. I don't really mind working at any of those places as long as I can get a job. Ive heard two sides. Some people say that it is impossible to get a job period and others say that it is easy to find a job at a major store but hard to get a good job. I know part of it has to do with location but with 3 new schools coming, I don't want to chose this as a career when I can't find a job period. I am really interested in this career so income isn't as important to me, its mostly getting a job. Will getting a job in the suburbs of say Chicago or any other major city be tough and competitive or will it be fairly easy. Sorry if this question is too specific to be answered right now, but any reply would be awesome.

As much as I hate corporate, I want to point out that there is a difference between retail in opt and retail in pharmacy. Without retail in pharmacies driving up the demand for pharmacist, our salary would never be 120k GUARANTEE with full benefits and pleanty of overtime. Instead, it will be 60-70k with people fighting over whatever job is out there.

Opt retail does not do that. Not only is the pay relatively low even though you have a job, but it is also less satisfying than private and discredits the profession.

As much as I hate corporate, I want to point out that there is a difference between retail in opt and retail in pharmacy. Without retail in pharmacies driving up the demand for pharmacist, our salary would never be 120k GUARANTEE with full benefits and pleanty of overtime. Instead, it will be 60-70k with people fighting over whatever job is out there.

Opt retail does not do that. Not only is the pay relatively low even though you have a job, but it is also less satisfying than private and discredits the profession.

I agree. Lets go count pills now.