Job Prospects for UNC Pharmacy student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctort93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a Pharmacy major in undergrad at Chapel Hill. I've always wanted to do pharmacy since the beginning of high school but on the other hand I do want to be smart about my career choice. I've heard a lot of people say the pharmacy field is so congested and over saturated so badly that its hard to get a job and there's no more six figure job offers straight out of pharmacy school. Is this true for North Carolina in areas like Charlotte, Burlington or Greensboro? And also how are the job prospects for someone who did pharmacy lab internships and became a certified pharmacy technician and completed undergrad and pharmacy school at Chapel Hill? (which is the #2 pharmacy school in the country.) I also want to know if even there are any six figure jobs left (in retail or clinical pharmacy) are they long term as in 5-10 years or more? I just want to be smart about my career choice because financially its a heavy burden to become a pharmacist and have my options open. I've also heard positive things such as someone being offered a $115,000 job which she happily accepted but I don't know if its in North Carolina.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm currently a Pharmacy major in undergrad at Chapel Hill. I've always wanted to do pharmacy since the beginning of high school but on the other hand I do want to be smart about my career choice. I've heard a lot of people say the pharmacy field is so congested and over saturated so badly that its hard to get a job and there's no more six figure job offers straight out of pharmacy school. Is this true for North Carolina in areas like Charlotte, Burlington or Greensboro? And also how are the job prospects for someone who did pharmacy lab internships and became a certified pharmacy technician and completed undergrad and pharmacy school at Chapel Hill? (which is the #2 pharmacy school in the country.) I also want to know if even there are any six figure jobs left (in retail or clinical pharmacy) are they long term as in 5-10 years or more? I just want to be smart about my career choice because financially its a heavy burden to become a pharmacist and have my options open. I've also heard positive things such as someone being offered a $115,000 job which she happily accepted but I don't know if its in North Carolina.

You seem to have a lot of things going for you---- lab internships and CPhT. They will help you get into pharmacy school but they will not have any effect on getting a pharmacist position when you graduate.

Yes, there are still six-figure jobs, as of 2013.

The jobs in large city centers such as Charlotte, Raleigh and Durham/Chapel Hill will be extremely competitive, while jobs in the rural areas will be less competitive. If you want a job in an institution you will need to be prepared for the possibility of needing PGY-1 and/or PGY-2 and/or BCPS certification to be competitive for such a position. Realize that means a total of 10 years post-secondary education before one of those $100,000 jobs open up and no one can predict the economy a decade from now. A community job will typically go to the best and highest performing interns of that company. For example, CVS may hire the best 3 or 4 of their 10-20 interns a year.

Yes, there is some doom and gloom around here, there is a lot of hardships for some, but I wouldn't say its more or less than other jobs. If you decide to go down this path the most important thing is to keep your student loans to a manageable ~$100k. I wouldn't feel comfortable going anymore than that.

You seem to have a lot of things going for you---- lab internships and CPhT. They will help you get into pharmacy school but they will not have any effect on getting a pharmacist position when you graduate.

Yes, there are still six-figure jobs, as of 2013.

The jobs in large city centers such as Charlotte, Raleigh and Durham/Chapel Hill will be extremely competitive, while jobs in the rural areas will be less competitive. If you want a job in an institution you will need to be prepared for the possibility of needing PGY-1 and/or PGY-2 and/or BCPS certification to be competitive for such a position. Realize that means a total of 10 years post-secondary education before one of those $100,000 jobs open up and no one can predict the economy a decade from now. A community job will typically go to the best and highest performing interns of that company. For example, CVS may hire the best 3 or 4 of their 10-20 interns a year.

Yes, there is some doom and gloom around here, there is a lot of hardships for some, but I wouldn't say its more or less than other jobs. If you decide to go down this path the most important thing is to keep your student loans to a manageable ~$100k. I wouldn't feel comfortable going anymore than that.

CVS extended offers to roughly 91% of their eligible 4th year interns this year (nationwide).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have data on this? It just isn't believable. I suppose it depends on how they define "eligible" though.

Seems high but I know PLENTY of 2013 grads that have been offered jobs at CVS and even 5-6 of my 2014 classmates that have made early commitments

Do you have data on this? It just isn't believable. I suppose it depends on how they define "eligible" though.

They accidentally sent out a spreadsheet a while back that had this info on it. I didn't do the math but it is believable.

Are they being promised 30 or 40 hours a week? Makes a big difference

Being hired is one thing but getting hours is another. Having to move to rural part of the country or work in a dangerous neighborhood also makes a difference.

Being hired is one thing but getting hours is another. Having to move to rural part of the country or work in a dangerous neighborhood also makes a difference.

As far as FL goes these are in Orlando, South FL, Tampa, Jacksonville. All pretty decent areas. Full time as well and some are float.

My offer letter says 40 hours and its in Dallas which I don't consider rural. I never even worked for CVS or any other retail chain.

If your going to be a floater, will your offer letter state floater pharmacist?