Job shadow vs. assisting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohohitsmagic08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to be a sophomore at the University of Michigan this coming fall. I am looking for jobs that would really help me gain some dental experience and also look good on my applications for dental school but the dental school here does not hire students who are planning to apply to dental school (WTF?). So, all I can really do is try to e-mail professors hoping to get some sort of research assistant position, but I really want to actually experience working in a dental office. I am starting a job shadowing next week with a dentist at at home in Kalamazoo, but like the other dentist I job shadowed, I cannot assist due to liability issues. How do you guys get assisting positions?

also, what other types of activities do you recommend that looks good on applications other than GPA and DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
How do you guys get assisting positions?

Work at a free dental clinic.

The type of research is not important to dental schools, but what is important is the amount of time and effort you contribute to the research and the professional relationships you build by doing so.