Jobs in Industry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josh6718

Pharmacist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone had/knew of how difficult it is to get a job in the industry sector doing drug research? Also, how competitive is the salary?

Thanks guys.

-Josh

Members don't see this ad.

I looked into industry and was turned off by it as it seemed like you were just a glorified drug rep, which is not necessarily a bad job but its not really a research position. Somebody with more info please correct me.

If you're referring to working at a pharmaceutical company as industry (e.g. Pfizer, GSK): I can't make any claim about the pay as a PharmD, but as an intern the pay is definitely competitive. So take that as you will. As an intern, the work I do at the moment is mainly PK/PD analysis. But looking at what my boss does, the job responsibilities at a pharmaceutical company also include: writing protocols, analyzing the clinical data, and reporting to the FDA. How hard it is to get in depends on experience. The big pluses are being fluent in PK/PD and knowing what the FDA guidelines are. Added bonuses is if you know the software used in PK analysis (e.g. NonMem and WinNonLin).

If you're referring to working Pharmacy Benefits Management (e.g. MedImpact) as industry: Pay is definitely in the $100k category. Job responsibilities can be developing formularies, handling PAs, and some other stuff I can't remember offhand. They emphasized that there is plenty of room for advancement/promotions. BTW, all this information is based on a tour through a PBM facility.