Jobs/Informal Post Docs NY Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychologylee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently a psychology intern and trying to figure out what to do upon completion of my internship in August 2017. Many of my cohort-mates and co-interns have obtained formal (typically clinical) post-doc positions for next year in areas of specialty (i.e. neuropsych, geropsychology, DBT). My areas of interest, however, are more broad and generalized within the adult population and I am wondering whether I should be pursuing a job (with allotted supervision for licensure requirements) rather than a formal postdoc. I have extensive inpatient experience within the private, city, and state hospital settings, and if I had to label my interest I would say SPMI/acute care. I have training in psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, and systems approaches. I also enjoy outpatient work, however, and have always had this on the side either through my school clinic or within the outpatient clinic at the hospital I currently intern at.

Does anyone know whether private hospitals will hire students out of their internships?

I know hospitals within the NYC HHC (city hospitals) will occasionally hire unlicensed therapists, but it seems like these hospitals are really struggling financially these days and I have heard that many of my classmates are not enjoying their internship experiences within those settings due to high degrees of burnout. I'd love to hear about any differing opinions if people have them!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not too geographically restricted (not sure how far outside NYC you're willing to go), you might look at the VA. Some VAs hire people straight out of internship.

You could also expand your search to looking at MA level therapist jobs. Some of those places are only to happy to hire a postdoc and provide supervision for licensure. I know because that is how I got my first job. Later, I also hired and supervised a postdoc myself and the position was primarily advertised and filled by MSW/LPC/MFT folks.

Reactions: 1 user