John Jay Clinical-Forensic PhD APA Accreditation status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miamijamba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone know the current accreditation status of the John Jay program? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

They are supposedly due to receive it again in May

Members don't see this ad :)
As of February they seem really organized and on track. If you start next year I would put solid money on graduation from an APA accredited program (if they don't have it before you get there).

The reason there is no accreditation is that the program is very young, and to be considered there must be program grads. A handful of students have made it through the program thus far, and have gotten licensed by NY.

program isnt young

it was just taken down and restructured a few years ago and they made the mistake of applying for re-accreditation under the "forensic psych" tag and the APA refused it because APA does not have criteria yet in place for true forensic programs. So they re-worked it again and applied under the clinical psych tag like other schools have done.

its really a mute point tho. No one in the industry is going to question a degree from JJ, accredited or not. Its the best forensic psych program hands down, no door will be closed to you because it wasn't accredited. That would just be ridiculous.

program isnt young

it was just taken down and restructured a few years ago and they made the mistake of applying for re-accreditation under the "forensic psych" tag and the APA refused it because APA does not have criteria yet in place for true forensic programs. So they re-worked it again and applied under the clinical psych tag like other schools have done.

its really a mute point tho. No one in the industry is going to question a degree from JJ, accredited or not. Its the best forensic psych program hands down, no door will be closed to you because it wasn't accredited. That would just be ridiculous.

A "mute" point?...;)

Some agencies/hospitals/etc have policies that require students graduate from an APA-acred program, and they won't budge. I wouldn't want to graduate during the non-acred. status, but it sounds like JJ are fixing their re-organization snafu.

Some agencies/hospitals/etc have policies that require students graduate from an APA-acred program, and they won't budge. I wouldn't want to graduate during the non-acred. status, but it sounds like JJ are fixing their re-organization snafu.

I must have been tired when I said mute

For every 1 door that is closed because they are not APA accredited there will be 20 more that open because you went to that school. Turning down an offer to JJ because of it is really not a great idea. But to each their own.

Hello all,

Does anyone know the current accreditation status of the John Jay program? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

The clinical PhD program has only graduated one cohort. In January 2010 the DCT said they were having a MOCK site visit in February 2010. No idea when the real site visit would occur. Even a member of the doctoral faculty advised against assuming anything about the status, though it is quite likely they will have APA-accred status by May 2015 or 2016 if that is what OP is concerned about.