John McCain and Sen Max Baucus (Dem from Montana) and Primary Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering which candidate will best represent the interests of primary care physicians and patients right to be treated by a qualified physician and not a poorly informed midlevel. I am a Republican but I will not vote for a candidate that does not represent my interest especially with the poor state of primary care today not to mention throwing seniors to the dogs (read unqualified midlevels with woefully inadequate credentials). I don't like the sound of some of the positions attributed to McCain. According to this web site below (see quotes) McCain appears to be a supporter of walk in clinics run by nurse practitioners. I am thinking that with regard to primary care it might be better to vote straight democrat this election to bolster senate finance committee chairmens Democrat Max Baucus in revitalizing primary care. Baucus seems to be the go to guy with regard to health care reform and unless something changes I think having the Dems in charge may be the best thing from primary care to get some favorable reforms pushed through.

http://healthpolicyandmarket.blogspo...ns-health.html

"McCain makes the common sense suggestion here to deliver care in more efficient places. However, there is no estimate for just how much this would save. It's like his health insurance proposal to cut administrative costs—a good idea on the surface but likely relatively small in scope. It is also not without controversy as the physician lobby has been opposing walk-in clinics that use nurse practitioners rather than physicians to deliver care."

other negatives from same site:

"McCain would use the Medicare program to lead the market in the development of a system of bundled service payment—often referred to by him as "coordinated care." Effectively, he would create a budget for each treatment program thereby putting providers at risk for delivering the care effectively and efficiently. He's really talking about pushing the market back toward capitation, or bundled at-risk payments for providers, as a means of controlling costs. This may be the only real cost containment proposal that any of the candidates, Democratic or Republican, has made.

However, as we learned, when capitation was in vogue in the mid-1990s, it is hard to do and providers don't like it."

"Senator McCain is a big believer in the value of "coordinated care." He would likely suggest that the Kaiser Permanente medical group is a good example of a system of coordinated care. While lots of data points to that kind of system as the best provider model to follow for both cost and quality, some doctors love it and most say they will never allow themselves to be "managed" by it.

This McCain payment system proposal needs to be developed further and McCain will have to show us how he is going to get the broad provider community to allow themselves to be put at risk once again and how we have the data and management systems

Members don't see this ad.

I follow the candidates positions as much as possible, and this is the first time I've heard of McCain looking to Kaiser as a model upon which to base Medicare. I did a quick google search and the only information I found to back up this claim was an article by the same author, so I'm kinda skeptical about the validity of the information on the site you provided. (I'm not saying you are intentionally or unintentionally trying to provide false information. The information could be true and I just haven't heard about it before.)
In any event, whether the information you posted is correct or not, I think that McCain's position on healthcare is far better than what Obama wants to do with healthcare in this country. Since Ron Paul is no longer a possiblity for POTUS, the best case scenario (if the information in your post is correct) is 4 more years of deadlock with no changes to the healthcare system at all.

I follow the candidates positions as much as possible, and this is the first time I've heard of McCain looking to Kaiser as a model upon which to base Medicare. I did a quick google search and the only information I found to back up this claim was an article by the same author, so I'm kinda skeptical about the validity of the information on the site you provided. (I'm not saying you are intentionally or unintentionally trying to provide false information. The information could be true and I just haven't heard about it before.)
In any event, whether the information you posted is correct or not, I think that McCain's position on healthcare is far better than what Obama wants to do with healthcare in this country. Since Ron Paul is no longer a possiblity for POTUS, the best case scenario (if the information in your post is correct) is 4 more years of deadlock with no changes to the healthcare system at all.

The purpose of this thread is to elicit information as information in replies. I did a search and that is what I came up with. I am a Republican but with the state of primary care I am now a one issue voter so to speak. If the candidate is better for primary care then that's who I'm voting for. If you are going into primary care then I would hope you would do the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is another site and author seeming to suggest McCain is a supporter of "alternative forms of licensing"

http://www.healthnews.com/family-health/position-paper-john-mccain-health-care-857.html

1. Allow states to experiment with alternative forms of health care access, Medicaid payments, alternative insurance policies and providers, and different licensing for medical providers.
  2. Promote clinics in retail outlets and other innovative delivery systems, and employ medical help via telephone for areas with limited access

Senator Baucus Comments on Medicare Physician Payment Legislation

http://medicareupdate.typepad.com/medicare_update/2008/05/on-may-21-2008.html

On May 21, 2008, Senate Finance Committee Chairman, Max Baucus, issued a News Release following a meeting with the bipartisan membership of the Senate Finance Committee to discuss upcoming Medicare legislation. In the News Release, Chairman Baucus states the following:
"In an effort to reach consensus on Medicare legislation before the Memorial Day recess, I've met repeatedly in recent days with Finance Committee colleagues and with other congressional leaders. We've found some areas of agreement surrounding an 18-month physician payment update, extensions of expiring provisions, and stopping unscrupulous marketing of plans to Medicare beneficiaries. But it's clear to me that in the time left to complete a bill, we're unlikely to get a bipartisan agreement with sufficient improvements in preventative care and other beneficiary services, appropriate fixes to increase access to the prescription drug benefit, and sufficient savings from bloated parts of the program."
"With the expiration of the current physician payment fix approaching on June 30, I will spend the Memorial Day recess crafting legislation that my Democratic colleagues and I believe is in the best interest of America's seniors - including an increase in physician payments - and I expect that legislation to move directly to the Senate floor in the early part of June. I will continue to reach out to all of my colleagues to find agreement as the legislation advances, but it is essential to get moving now on a good Medicare bill for seniors who need this vital program to work better."

The purpose of this thread is to illicit information as information in replies. I did a search and that is what I came up with. I am a Republican but with the state of primary care I am now a one issue voter so to speak. If the candidate is better for primary care then that's who I'm voting for. If you are going into primary care then I would hope you would do the same.
The purpose of all threads here is to illicit information;)
I was just questioning the validity of the statements made about McCain pushing seniors into a crappy managed care type plan. I'm also going to be a one issue voter and given the choice between Obama and McCain, I think the candidate best for patients interests is actually John McCain. He's not ideal, but as stated earlier, much better than Obama. Allowing patients to be treated via teleconferences is already something that happens. A child psychiatrist I shadowed did this on a fairly regularly basis. The minute clinics already exist as well. I don't see McCain singlehandedly destroying primary care.
BTW, this election will be the first time I have ever voted for a Republican for POTUS. I'm hoping for gridlock.

The purpose of all threads here is to illicit information;)
I was just questioning the validity of the statements made about McCain pushing seniors into a crappy managed care type plan. I'm also going to be a one issue voter and given the choice between Obama and McCain, I think the candidate best for patients interests is actually John McCain. He's not ideal, but as stated earlier, much better than Obama. Allowing patients to be treated via teleconferences is already something that happens. A child psychiatrist I shadowed did this on a fairly regularly basis. The minute clinics already exist as well. I don't see McCain singlehandedly destroying primary care.
BTW, this election will be the first time I have ever voted for a Republican for POTUS. I'm hoping for gridlock.

Alright you caught my typo. I changed it.

Alright you caught my typo. I changed it.
No big deal. We all do it now and then. It was just kinda funny with the typo considering some of the racy posts I've read in The Lounge.:laugh:

I am wondering which candidate will best represent the interests of primary care physicians and patients right to be treated by a qualified physician and not a poorly informed midlevel. I am a Republican but I will not vote for a candidate that does not represent my interest especially with the poor state of primary care today not to mention throwing seniors to the dogs (read unqualified midlevels with woefully inadequate credentials). I don't like the sound of some of the positions attributed to McCain. According to this web site below (see quotes) McCain appears to be a supporter of walk in clinics run by nurse practitioners. I am thinking that with regard to primary care it might be better to vote straight democrat this election to bolster senate finance committee chairmens Democrat Max Baucus in revitalizing primary care. Baucus seems to be the go to guy with regard to health care reform and unless something changes I think having the Dems in charge may be the best thing from primary care to get some favorable reforms pushed through.

http://healthpolicyandmarket.blogspo...ns-health.html

"McCain makes the common sense suggestion here to deliver care in more efficient places. However, there is no estimate for just how much this would save. It's like his health insurance proposal to cut administrative costs—a good idea on the surface but likely relatively small in scope. It is also not without controversy as the physician lobby has been opposing walk-in clinics that use nurse practitioners rather than physicians to deliver care."

other negatives from same site:

"McCain would use the Medicare program to lead the market in the development of a system of bundled service payment—often referred to by him as "coordinated care." Effectively, he would create a budget for each treatment program thereby putting providers at risk for delivering the care effectively and efficiently. He's really talking about pushing the market back toward capitation, or bundled at-risk payments for providers, as a means of controlling costs. This may be the only real cost containment proposal that any of the candidates, Democratic or Republican, has made.

However, as we learned, when capitation was in vogue in the mid-1990s, it is hard to do and providers don’t like it."

"Senator McCain is a big believer in the value of "coordinated care." He would likely suggest that the Kaiser Permanente medical group is a good example of a system of coordinated care. While lots of data points to that kind of system as the best provider model to follow for both cost and quality, some doctors love it and most say they will never allow themselves to be "managed" by it.

This McCain payment system proposal needs to be developed further and McCain will have to show us how he is going to get the broad provider community to allow themselves to be put at risk once again and how we have the data and management systems

Unfortunately, your characterization of McCain's positions is accurate.