Johns Hopkins HSI 2018-2019 APPLICATION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

istos95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I haven't seen this thread yet, but was wondering if there was anyone out there who was considering/have applied to the HSI program for this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am in the process right now! How is your application coming along?

I'm actually in the program right now and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually in the program right now and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have! :)

Just got in today. What do you think of the program. I’m from California, would I need a car?

Just got in today. What do you think of the program. I’m from California, would I need a car?

I know there are people from California who did bring their own cars over and many people in the program does have cars. Personally it is possible to get around without a car but it is of course more comfortable, easier, and faster if you do have a car. This is all contingent of course of where you decide to live which may determine whether you need a car or not.

In the end, it's a personal decision since this is a one year program. If you're planning on staying in the area after graduation, then I would bring your own or buy a car here. If you're planning on moving back to California after graduation, then it's up to you since the program is completed quickly.

Sorry for the late reply! I also got in, and I'm still thinking about my decision about whether to go or not... (It definitely is a big inve$tment!) @michitae, any general thoughts? Thanks!

I submitted my application yesterday so I am very hopeful! Any advice for the interview for those of you accepted?

I applied in October and was accepted on 1/9. Hopkins gave me to 1/23 to decide if I am attending. I am really excited about this program but am having trouble making a decision with such a short time period since i have not heard back from everywhere i have applied. Does anyone have any advice on how this compares to other SMP?

Sorry for the late reply! I also got in, and I'm still thinking about my decision about whether to go or not... (It definitely is a big inve$tment!) @michitae, any general thoughts? Thanks!

Sorry for my late reply! The semester has been a bit chaotic here so I haven't logged onto SDN for a while. PM me if you have any specific questions and I can try and answer as best as I can!

But for some general thoughts, it will depend on what you exactly need for your application. If you solely need JUST a GPA boost and you have everything else from your letter of recommendations, MCAT scores, activities, then a SMP might be better. However, if you're lacking in a few categories, then this program might be better. It'll also depend on what your GPA right now is as well.

I got into HSI around a month ago and decided to attend! Was wondering what everyone is doing for housing/ what the options are?

Same just got accepted today! We might want to create a facebook group. I am currently looking for a roommate (since housing is expensive)! I am interested in The Villages at Decoverly apartments within walking distance to campus

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Same just got accepted today! We might want to create a facebook group. I am currently looking for a roommate (since housing is expensive)! I am interested in discoverly apartments within walking distance to campus

Congrats on the acceptance! :)

I submitted mine on 1/22 and it wasn't marked for completion until last week. How long did the process take for you? And did they do an interview? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still waiting to hear back!

Congrats on the acceptance! :)

I submitted mine on 1/22 and it wasn't marked for completion until last week. How long did the process take for you? And did they do an interview? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still waiting to hear back!

There is an interview via Skype. After completion, I received an invite for an interview within 2 weeks. Once I had my interview I received my acceptance 1 week later. Good luck with your application!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is an interview via Skype. After completion, I received an invite for an interview within 2 weeks. Once I had my interview I received my acceptance 1 week later. Good luck with your application!

Thank you for the info! Congrats again!

No problem at all! If anyone has any questions regarding the admissions process, let me know and I will try my best to help out!

Same just got accepted today! We might want to create a facebook group. I am currently looking for a roommate (since housing is expensive)! I am interested in The Villages at Decoverly apartments within walking distance to campus
Me too! I got accepted last week and need roomies ASAP! I’m moving from Texas so it would be nice to figure things out before school starts

Me too! I got accepted last week and need roomies ASAP! I’m moving from Texas so it would be nice to figure things out before school starts

Dr. Tan is planning on making a group so that students can contact each other. That should help with the roommate situation!

I'm a current student at the HSI program right now so if anyone has any questions, feel free to message me about housing and such like that! I might be slow at responding because of school but I'll do the best I can!

Has anyone been able to connect with other 2018/19 HSI students yet?? Definitely looking for roomies haha

Has anyone been able to connect with other 2018/19 HSI students yet?? Definitely looking for roomies haha
No, but Dr. Tan just released the Wordpress site. I don’t think there will be a FB page.

Dr. Tan opened the FB group for the 2018 Entering Class so I would highly recommend joining it! I believe she'll also send out a link for that group as well. A few of the current HSI students are on there to help all of you with whatever questions and confusions you may have :)

Hello everyone! I just got accepted and am wondering what places you're considering for housing? Every place surrounding Rockville is super pricey and I need something low budget haha. And does anyone know if the curriculum is in-class, online, independent study? like do i NEED to live close to campus or can i afford to live 30-40 min away from campus?

Hello everyone! I just got accepted and am wondering what places you're considering for housing? Every place surrounding Rockville is super pricey and I need something low budget haha. And does anyone know if the curriculum is in-class, online, independent study? like do i NEED to live close to campus or can i afford to live 30-40 min away from campus?

Congrats on the acceptance! From what I understand everything will be in class at the Rockville Maryland campus. I will be moving from Georgia so I know very little about the area. But regarding the location of housing that is up to you. I am sure you can find cheaper housing further from Rockville but you would have to make that extra drive if you want to get to class and I am not sure about how traffic is in the area. I think the best way to get affordable housing at this point is to find roommates. Dr. Tan has a facebook group she will invite you to where you can talk to other accepted students about living arrangements.

I’ve heard there are some pretty affordable apts near by but it’s cheap with roommates. I’m still looking for a place. Hopefully I’ll find one with roomies before I move from Dallas.

Does anyone know if the GPA calculated in this program is added to the Undergrad GPA or is shown as a separate Graduate GPA?

From what I’ve heard, med schools put more weight on the UGPA and we’d benefit from improving that via a post-bacc

Also, how do you all compare this program with Washington University’s post-bacc, University of Michigan’s MS in Physiology, and Boston University’s MAMS?

Does anyone know if the GPA calculated in this program is added to the Undergrad GPA or is shown as a separate Graduate GPA?

From what I’ve heard, med schools put more weight on the UGPA and we’d benefit from improving that via a post-bacc

Also, how do you all compare this program with Washington University’s post-bacc, University of Michigan’s MS in Physiology, and Boston University’s MAMS?

Message me and I can help answer some of your questions! :)

Facebook Group: HSI Post Bac, although I believe you must be accepted into the program to be accepted to the group.

**Sent in deposit, looking for roommates male or female doesn't matter - 27 Male, worked in the hospital full-time (NYC) for the last 6 years,
was thinking Decoverly 2 or 3 bedroom. Message me or email chrisbrancatosmed @ gmail / Looking forward to meeting you all in June!

-Chris

Hi all,

Has anyone not heard back yet? I applied just a while back but it seems like the response has taken longer than normal?

How long did it typically take to hear back from JHU?
Trying to decide if it is worth continuing to wait for JHU to get back to me or accept my spot at another school...

Thanks!

Facebook Group: HSI Post Bac, although I believe you must be accepted into the program to be accepted to the group.

**Sent in deposit, looking for roommates male or female doesn't matter - 27 Male, worked in the hospital full-time (NYC) for the last 6 years,
was thinking Decoverly 2 or 3 bedroom. Message me or email chrisbrancatosmed @ gmail / Looking forward to meeting you all in June!

-Chris
They book apts really quick at decoverly. Id offer for you to be our roomie but idk if my current roomie to be would be ok with living eith a guy

Hi all,

Has anyone not heard back yet? I applied just a while back but it seems like the response has taken longer than normal?

Trying to decide if it is worth continuing to wait for JHU to get back to me or accept my spot at another school...

Thanks!
I beard back 2 weeks later. Maybe you can shoot them an email. It wouldnt hurt

Hi all,

Thanks!
i got an interview offer 2 weeks after i submitted and got accepted later that week! hope this helps!

I applied for the 2019 cycle and was complete on february 8, is it not a good sign that i haven't heard back yet?

Can any alums shed more light on their MD school acceptance rates? Do they recommend you apply after the program is done or while the program is going on (the June before the program starts)? And is there any advantage to applying to JHU SOM while in the program?

Hello,
Would you be able to tell me more about the program? How did it go for you? What were the courses like? how was the difficulty of the program? Is it worth it? Any advice? I want to apply but I'm not sure if I will get it or not so I am a little hesitant.