Johns Hopkins Humanities Reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JETER

Super Educated, I'm Smarter than Spock
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how strict Hopkins is on their 24 credits of humanities for MD/PhD admissions? This seems like quite a bit for the wide range of academic interests likely to apply to their combined degree program. Would something like 15 or 18 be enough? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about MD/PhD, but this is a strict requirement for MD admissions. Applicants will be denied an interview if they fail to meet the standard.

The requirements are very strict. I was accepted about a month ago to the MD program under the condition that I finish up my final 6 humanities credits, despite having already graduated. I had to sign a contract that I would finish these up before I matriculate. I had to find a couple of classes I could get into 3 weeks after our summer semester had started. What is nice is that they do allow you to take fine arts or even language classes to meet this requirement. My problem was that the didn't accept any of my 16 Spanish CLEP credits, AP credits, or singing for 2 years in my university's choir.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fletch said:
What is nice is that they do allow you to take fine arts or even language classes to meet this requirement.

Thanks for the reply. It helps a lot. Do you also know if they accept psycology? I would assume they do, however. Again, thanks for the input.

JETER said:
Does anyone know how strict Hopkins is on their 24 credits of humanities for MD/PhD admissions?

When you say humanities, what kinds of courses does that cover? Just non-science, or more specific courses in literature, art, social sciences, econ. etc? Because I know at my undergrad the 24 credits, or 8 courses in humanities are covered by General education requirements- and I'd be surprised that most schools wouldn't also require at least that many credits in humanities for gen. ed. req's.

The requirements are very strict. I was accepted about a month ago to the MD program under the condition that I finish up my final 6 humanities credits, despite having already graduated. I had to sign a contract that I would finish these up before I matriculate. I had to find a couple of classes I could get into 3 weeks after our summer semester had started. What is nice is that they do allow you to take fine arts or even language classes to meet this requirement. My problem was that the didn't accept any of my 16 Spanish CLEP credits, AP credits, or singing for 2 years in my university's choir.
to hell with that mess. hopkins is officially off my list.

The humanities requirement applies to MD applicants ONLY.

MD/PhD applicants are exempt from this requirement.

Gradient Echo,

Thank you. I had a feeling this was the case, but I could not seem to find it in print anywhere.

doan, what in the NAME OF GOD are you doing up at 4:51 AM? I thought optho was cushy becuase you didnt have to deal with screaming people waking you up in the middle of the night.

Hey Gradient Echo,

Did you get the info directly from the admissions office? I previously called their office and talked to one of the deans, and he said 24 credits in humanities/social science was required and that APs don't count. :confused: I didn't mention that I was MSTP though.

Called them again and they said the class requirements are the same for MSTP students.

JETER said:
Does anyone know how strict Hopkins is on their 24 credits of humanities for MD/PhD admissions? This seems like quite a bit for the wide range of academic interests likely to apply to their combined degree program. Would something like 15 or 18 be enough? Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, how is it possible to get an undergraduate degree (in anything) without getting at least 24 credits in humanities?

I sure wasted a lot of time, if it was possible.

By being an engineer and coming in with a boatload of AP credit in the humanities.

For an update

I emailed the Hopkins and got the following reply (reply is written in red):

Hello. I am, like so many others I'm sure, an excited MSTP hopeful
>at Johns
>Hopkins. I have heard some rumors regarding the admissions pre-reqs
>for the
>MDPHD program. Specifically the 24 credit hours of humanities (which
>I know IS
>a pre-req for the MD only program). I have heard the following:
>
>1. MDPHD program IS exempt from the 24 credit hours of humanities. No
>
>2. MDPHD is NOT exempt from the 24 credits of humanities (strict). Yes. Very strict >
>3. MDPHD is NOT exempt from the 24 credits of humanities, but is
>not strict.
>They will take the following types of credits:
> a. psychology
> b. foreign language
> c. fine arts (i.e., theater)
> d. western culture
>
>Which are true??

2 and 3 are true. Each transcript is reviewed very carefully to make sure each applicant has or will by the date of graduation, have completed all the necessary requirements.

Some of the UC's require 30units of Humanities. A good portion of medical schools, from the MSAR, 'Highly recommend' >30units in the area. :thumbup:

Best of Luck, :luck: