MPH Johns Hopkins vs UT Houston MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sohel.dmc63

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these two schools are not comparable in terms of ranking & reputation. But considering the other factors (mainly tution fee), I am now in great dilemma to which one should I go.

Hopkins is my dream school. But to fulfill my dream, I have to go through about 80K debt in 11 month including my living cost. I will not be able to work outside as the 11 month program is more vigorous than the normal 2 years MPH program. Moreover, I don't know whether it is possible to manage 80K loan from FAFSA or not (including Grad PLUS).

On the other hand, UT Houston will cost me only less than 10K in two years (in-state tution+new student scholarship). Though not top ranked, it is a decent program. I will be able to manage my living cost working in campus or out of the campus.

So, in great dilemma....Hopkins or UT Houston??? 80K or 10K???

Members don't see this ad.

This is a tough one. Hopkins is an iconic institution for Public Health. I think it's far and away better enough than UT-Houston that it makes it worthwhile to go there (and I say that as someone from Houston). I think if you pass on the opportunity to go to JHU, you will regret it.

I took the easy, in-state route for Undergrad and got in to a costly private school for grad school. I was only $50K in debt, but that debt was a struggle for me. All during the 12 years I was paying off my loans, I regretted my decision to go there, but once I was done paying them off, I was glad I had made the choice I did.

Being pragmatic is one thing, but don't be afraid to take risks just because of money. Just my $.02.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a tough one. Hopkins is an iconic institution for Public Health. I think it's far and away better enough than UT-Houston that it makes it worthwhile to go there (and I say that as someone from Houston). I think if you pass on the opportunity to go to JHU, you will regret it.

I took the easy, in-state route for Undergrad and got in to a costly private school for grad school. I was only $50K in debt, but that debt was a struggle for me. All during the 12 years I was paying off my loans, I regretted my decision to go there, but once I was done paying them off, I was glad I had made the choice I did.

Being pragmatic is one thing, but don't be afraid to take risks just because of money. Just my $.02.
Thanks Cairns

Members don't see this ad :)
Then again, not having that debt hanging over your head is a huge burden lifted, and at UT- Houston, you'll be in the middle of the largest medical center in the world, so...

Looks like you have some great choices, including one that is my alma mater (Tulane). Congrats.

I know these two schools are not comparable in terms of ranking & reputation. But considering the other factors (mainly tution fee), I am now in great dilemma to which one should I go.

Hopkins is my dream school. But to fulfill my dream, I have to go through about 80K debt in 11 month including my living cost. I will not be able to work outside as the 11 month program is more vigorous than the normal 2 years MPH program. Moreover, I don't know whether it is possible to manage 80K loan from FAFSA or not (including Grad PLUS).

On the other hand, UT Houston will cost me only less than 10K in two years (in-state tution+new student scholarship). Though not top ranked, it is a decent program. I will be able to manage my living cost working in campus or out of the campus.

Then again, not having that debt hanging over your head is a huge burden lifted, and at UT- Houston, you'll be in the middle of the largest medical center in the world, so...

Looks like you have some great choices, including one that is my alma mater (Tulane). Congrats.
Ha ha ha, you are again confusing me Cairns :bang:. My decision is if I can manage that amount of loan from FAFSA, then I will go for Hopkins. Otherwise UT Houston.
And thank you again for your reveiew.

Reactions: 1 user

I think you should be sure you're clear with yourself about why Hopkins is your dream school. Make a detailed list of what you'll likely get from Hopkins that you won't get from UT, and what value Hopkins can bring to your education that UT can't. If your list is substantial, by all means go to Hopkins! But if you find yourself struggling to come up with anything, then Hopkins might not be worth the extra cost for you. Just be sure you have substance to back up why it's your dream school; it's easy to get caught up in the big name and great reputation.

Hi Sohel! I'm afraid that's a tough decision for you to make. Just a question, did you get awarded a scholarship at UTH? I got a scholarship waitlist e-mail, which they probably sent to every applicant who applied within the scholarship deadline date.
Fellow desi here. Good luck! :)

Hi Sohel! I'm afraid that's a tough decision for you to make. Just a question, did you get awarded a scholarship at UTH? I got a scholarship waitlist e-mail, which they probably sent to every applicant who applied within the scholarship deadline date.
Fellow desi here. Good luck! :)
Yeah, I think so. They offered this ridiculous (+pissed+) waitlisted scholarship to everyone. Though, as a Texas resident, it will not be a great factor for me. I am eligible for instate tuition fee). Btw, do you know that whether anyone got their official offer letter or not?

Hi! I know this is very old but I'm in the same position you were :( JHU vs UTH. So, what did you decide?

Im in the same exact position as you, except my other option is UCLA. Difficult decision, I would also have to go into 80K of debt if I go to Hopkins. For a career that doesnt have a high payout I think managing that sort of debt is a huge burden. I am leaning towards UCLA because I think I can still get to where I want to be by going there.

Its basically a decision of going to the best school and incurring a debt that might influence your standard of living for many years to come or go to another school with little debt and maybe it will take a little more time and initiative to get where you want to be. Thats the way I see it.

May I ask which program you were accepted to? I got into Pop, Family and Reproductive Health (MSPH). And yea, I agree with you, that debt would be a huge burden... I am still debating and searching for alumni feedback