Journal Club.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousPharmD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some common journal club questions that you have been asked after finishing your oral presentation??????

Members don't see this ad.

What are some common journal club questions that you have been asked after finishing your oral presentation??????

I think a common question to ask is "how will this apply to your own practice". As in, does this paper teach you anything that you will incorporate into your day to day work... does it change the way you do anything now? etc

I got asked questions like what could have they done to make this study stronger; if it wasn't powered appropriately then how many subjects in each group would I need for significant power; stuff like that.

They'd ask about the blinding and how they could have improved on the way they did it.

All the questions were always related to the study that I dissected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is what I would ask.

What type of trial- Study design? Prospective, double blind, normalized, placebo controlled?

Who sponsored the trial?

Subject population and N?

Method?

Conclusion?

What was the outcome of the study...and mortality data?

Is the outcome reliable ? why or why not?

A few more thoughts to add:

If a retrospective study, what was the criteria for inclusion & exclusion?

What was the outcome of the study and did the study method match the criteria being looked at?

Was study statistically significant & is it supported by other related studies?

In your judgement, was this a well conducted, well designed & well correlated study?

What is a Journal Club. I know what a journal is, and I know what a club is. But is this mandatory/optional, part of a class, extraneous/just for fun?

What is a Journal Club. I know what a journal is, and I know what a club is. But is this mandatory/optional, part of a class, extraneous/just for fun?

A Journal Club is something that you will have to do during rotations. Basically, you'll be looking at a clinical trial. You will need to note the strengths and weaknesses. We had an entire class that taught us how to do this the semester before we went on rotations.

During my drug info rotation, I had a journal club every week plus I had to give a power point presentation on the disease state from the article. My journal club had to be a power point presentation, too.

It seems to be wide spread. Do all schools do this? I had never heard of this before.

Yeah, I think it's pretty common. You need to be able to look at a new drug trial and see if it is legit or sketchy. Once you graduate, you'll still need to look at new drug studies.

Actually, journal clubs are not unique to schools. I've known large pharmacy depts to have these to bring everyone up to speed on drugs which might not fit within their day-to-day activities.

They're not critiqued as a student presention might be, but they're used for rapid, brief information. I can't say they're not biased because they're usually biased toward the budget/priorities within that particular department.

But....this is good experience to have since you might be called upon to do it professionally for your peers.