Juggling Act

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ace Rimmer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

Firstly, I just want to say thank you to everyone who posts on here, because I don't think I would have had the courage to take the first step in applying for a post-BAC without reading some of these threads...making the decision to pursue a medical degree is intimidating stuff.

But what I'm asking here is for some advice on what to do, or maybe more importantly what NOT to do while juggling all of the activities that go towards applying to med school.

Background: 25, working 45-55 hours a week in business (marketing), applied for a post-BAC, and just got a volunteer position at a hospital.

So I guess what I'm wondering is, does anybody manage their post-BAC science-intensive courses, a full-time 9-5 job, volunteering, clinical research, AND ECs?!?!

And another thing: clinical research. I've looked up every thread I can find and still don't really know what is/how to get clinical research. Is this something that I should wait until I start my classes and use the school's network to find?

I hope my ignorance of clinical research doesn't set off red flags and make me unfit to be a doctor :p

Thanks everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

does anybody manage their post-BAC science-intensive courses, a full-time 9-5 job, volunteering, clinical research, AND ECs?!?!
Unfortunately, yes. Many of us had to do just that. I say this with the caveat that you should only take on as much as allows you to ace your coursework, because that should be your priority. Sometimes this entails making hard choices (taking less coursework, giving up an EC, taking an extra year, etc.) and requires a lot of self-knowledge. But it can be done and this forum is chock full of people who survived various permutations of your quote. Keep organized. Know your limits. Stay focused. Take your time.

And another thing: clinical research. I've looked up every thread I can find and still don't really know what is/how to get clinical research. Is this something that I should wait until I start my classes and use the school's network to find?
You know I think sometimes people overemphasize research. (And it doesn't have to be clinical research. Bench research works too.) I'd say less than half of my classmates had prior research experience. It obviously varies by school as some schools emphasize research more than others. Research enhances an application but it's not a requirement. If you have strong ECs in other regards I don't think the lack of research will hurt you.
But if you're still interested in it you can:
1)Go online and look up faculty. Cold email them. Offer to volunteer and help out with their research.
2)Talk to your science professors and ask them to refer you to someone doing research.

Best of luck.

I left a career as a clinical researcher in the private sector (translation: I helped medical device companies manage their research study) to go back to school. This is long but you can't be the only person with this question. Over simplified explanation of clinical research:

Why it is done:
1.A company (usually) wants to get a new device or drug approved through the FDA.
2.A company or university wants to study a safety or efficacy component of that drug or device.
3.An MD, often affiliated with a university, wants to study some aspect of a disease.

Process:
1.Bench testing
2.Animal testing
3.Human clinical trials
4.Publish results in a journal and/or submit data to the FDA for approval of the drug or device.

The Relevant Part For You = Human Clinical Trials:
1.Submit study protocol to FDA for approval (some exceptions)
2.Submit study protocol hospital's Institutional Review Board (IRB for approval)
3.Enroll patient using the informed consent process
4.Collect baseline data
5.Perform treatment (some exceptions)
6.Collect data (maybe for years)
7.Compile data, statistical analysis, compare to hypothesis, draw conclusions
8.Submit to journal or FDA

Where You Come In (all monitored by MD):
1.Collect data from patient
2.Verify data against medical charts
3.Compile data

My job was mostly #2, 3 and a lot of meetings. It was also unique because I was allowed to observe investigational procedures in the OR, participate in investigator cadaveric training sessions, go to big society meetings, interact with radiologists while they reviewed films, etc. I may be wrong but I think it is difficult to gain this type of experience. I find it very difficult to get a hold of university MDs. I recommend contacting doctors in your area who are listed on clinicaltrials.gov, express interest in their research and ask to shadow while they enroll patients. Good luck!