July 2008 MCAT Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unsung

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there planning on taking it in July? Just curious about how far along you guys are in preparing. I hope they'll release the test days soon!

Members don't see this ad.

I am!

expect reg. within a week or two I've kinda gathered from the AAMC
No studying at all really yet minus a couple listens to Audio osmosis in the gym.

Took it two years ago... and this time around
TPR course from April 21 - July 4th
Using audio osmosis , EK 1001 Bio questions , AAMC CBT's and Possibly Berkeley Review CBT's as the become available to aid my effort.

I'm out to do really well this time and that's my plan....

best of luck to all July MCAT companions!

I'm taking a Kaplan course now(it runs from Jan - early May).
Planning on spending the latter part of May - July doing the EK 1001 questions, working on my identified problem areas, and doing all my full length practice exams.
I'm also going to try to find extra ways to de-stress cause it's only February and I'm already frustrated... I keep reminded myself it's a marathon and not a sprint!

I'm taking a Kaplan course now(it runs from Jan - early May).
Planning on spending the latter part of May - July doing the EK 1001 questions, working on my identified problem areas, and doing all my full length practice exams.
I'm also going to try to find extra ways to de-stress cause it's only February and I'm already frustrated... I keep reminded myself it's a marathon and not a sprint!

Hey, that sounds pretty much like where I'm at right now. Just wondering, how're you planning to space out your practice exams? I've got 7 practice CBTs remaining from my TPR course, plus 8 or 9 (can't remember) AAMC tests, also courtesy of TPR. I've been debating how to fit all of those in between May and July. That's like, what, 16 tests total? Personally I feel like I'm still nowhere close to being done just in terms of content review, and content practice with discrete problems (like in EK1001 Qs)... so I don't know whether it'd be really a good idea to be doing so many exams. OTOH, it'd seem like a waste if I *don't* use up all my practice exams. I guess at the very least, I'd have to do the AAMC ones.

Good luck folks :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Re-taker (most likely). 10 BS, 11 PS, 9 VR. I just need to push that to a 34 or 35 and I will be happy. 5 months of solid prep knowing what it's going to be like should be a helper.

For those who haven't started practice tests, do them now. Do the first three AAMC's in a span of 5 days (if you have the time). Take the cumulative and go over all the answers. These first three tests have no predictive validity and are nothing like the real test. These are nice things to find your weaknesses though if you have a lot.

O. m. g.

I'm signed up for July 18th... "afaik" ;)

Yeah, some will say that's still far off, but I'm sure it'll feel like a blink of an eye before it's here and I'm like, where'd all the time go??

Pretty on track for physics & o-chem. Haven't even *started* bio review on my own and I'm kind of wary of the biochem stuff (Krebs Cycle gives me a headache :(). Chem I'm actually scared of, as I've had the experience of being totally WTF-ed on practice passages, not even knowing what topic the passage is supposed to be on :laugh:

So... that's about how things are now. Plan to hit the bio hard over spring break. (Anyone else?) Figure, will do 1 "topic" a day, so *should* be able to cover a majority of the topics. Think that's doable? I'm crossing my fingers... if I could get bio out of the way, man that'd be great.

Im planning on taking the July 18th MCAT. Just started doing some prep on my own and will take a course in June. using examkrackers materias. Is anyone else using examkrackers?

hey guys, i been trying to register for july 8 mcat date. it shows open seats but when i register for it, its says the seat is no longer avali

hey everyone,
I just started studying, maybe about one quarter way. I took AAMC 3R and scored 23. I'm taking the July 18th one in PA. I'm using examkrackers materials, an I've gotten to BIo3, Phy3 and Ver3 as well as Verb 3 lectures. Does anyone think this is good or bad, or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks a lot

I too just signed up for the 18 July test. I started studying in January... but I work 40+ hours a week and take night classes, so I knew I would need to start early. I graduated in 2004 so it has been a while since I've really dug into the hardcore science material.

To study, I listen to Audio Osmosis whenever I'm in the car, and I am going through the Kaplan premier book. I also picked up the Examkrackers verbal book, because my verbal score always seems to be the same so I thought I could use some extra practice to break out of the score rut. I've made a detailed study schedule and plan to start taking the AAMC practice tests in May (I tend to do that sort of thing when I don't feel like studying). Hopefully I can mostly stick to it. Right now I'm working through the physical sciences, and I'm slated to start with the biological sciences in 8 days and focus on that for six weeks.

Just signed up for the July 18th MCAT. Took it last year and got VR10, BS9, PS8. I was doing around 30-32 on the practice tests though and had not yet had second semester of physics so I'm hoping I can greatly improve. Because of my crazy schedule, I won't really be able to start studying that hard until I graduate mid-May but I really think I can do a lot better this time! Good luck to everyone here with their studying!

Last night, I signed up to take the July 18 MCAT in Deptford, NJ. I haven't started studying yet really. I'm taking 20 credits, doing research, working, etc. I'm taking summer classes too, so I'm going to try and start studying over spring break and dedicate at least a little bit of time studying every night.

Hey all, does anyone know where else you can get CBT practice tests? I took it in Jan and did all the TPR and AAMC ones, and need to retake it this summer. Has anyone used the Gold Standard? Apparently they have 10 CBTs online. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also like to know what people think of the Gold Standard CBT's. I am in the same position as the poster above. Thanks.

I am!

No studying at all really yet minus a couple listens to Audio osmosis in the gym.

Took it two years ago... and this time around
TPR course from April 21 - July 4th
Using audio osmosis , EK 1001 Bio questions , AAMC CBT's and Possibly Berkeley Review CBT's as the become available to aid my effort.

I'm out to do really well this time and that's my plan....

best of luck to all July MCAT companions!

Best of luck to you! When did you start studying and how much do you study per week. Also, did you buy the audio osmosis?

GL!:D

Im planning on taking the July 18th MCAT. Just started doing some prep on my own and will take a course in June. using examkrackers materias. Is anyone else using examkrackers?

Me! Me! I'm wanting to start the examkrackers 10-week schedule mid-April.

Re-taker (most likely). 10 BS, 11 PS, 9 VR. I just need to push that to a 34 or 35 and I will be happy. 5 months of solid prep knowing what it's going to be like should be a helper.

For those who haven't started practice tests, do them now. Do the first three AAMC's in a span of 5 days (if you have the time). Take the cumulative and go over all the answers. These first three tests have no predictive validity and are nothing like the real test. These are nice things to find your weaknesses though if you have a lot.

actually they do because at one point in life they were the real exam students took. I know this because I have the paper version of them, and in the back of this version there is an answer key that reports the difficulty as the percentage of test takers getting the question correct on the exam. So, it must have prediction power because it was the actual exam at one point.

I am!

AO is pretty helpful for a review, but you improve your score by taking practice tests. i took notes when i listed to it.

btw....anyone interested in acquiring AO, send me a PM ;)

AO is pretty helpful for a review, but you improve your score by taking practice tests. i took notes when i listed to it.

btw....anyone interested in acquiring AO, send me a PM ;)

My notes come from my princeton stuff... AO is just to drive concepts home and help memorize some things and study when i can be taking notes lol

actually they do because at one point in life they were the real exam students took. I know this because I have the paper version of them, and in the back of this version there is an answer key that reports the difficulty as the percentage of test takers getting the question correct on the exam. So, it must have prediction power because it was the actual exam at one point.

Majik- Where did you find the stats in your signature?

What's up guys?

School is done! Just finished off a yr of o-chem & physics, so content review for those subjs are basically done. Finished off 1001 Qs for o-chem last wk... o.m.g. so happy :)

Now churning my way through biology content review, using EK, and good lord, it's not fun. Haven't *really* started gen chem either, beyond the stuff that kinda overlaps with o-chem or physics (i.e. acidity stuff & thermodynamics). This section also kind of scares me...

Goal is to get content review done for bio & gen chem by about June 18th, then start the AAMC tests. Does that sound workable? I hope one month is enough time to do all the tests.

WoW! I wish I was done with classes. Classes don't end till Mid June. I finally took my first FL (a Kaplan diagnostics at their main center and a timed Kaplan FL at home). Not what I wanted to get (low-mid20s) but it definitely showed me where my weak spots are (PS!! Yikes!!) Anyhow.. I'm trying to fit in a little studying here and there but classes and such are getting in the way. I hope I have enough time to study.. less than 2 months left. But you gotta do what you gotta do.. :)

Good Luck to everyone studying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :luck:

Hey folks, just wondering, when are you going to submit your AMCAS? I don't know whether I should just forget about it until after 7/18, or spend some time on it and submit it before the test.

I might be way off here, but I'm taking it 7/8, and was planning on finishing my app during the week after I take the test. I figure if they don't have my scores yet anyway, why waste study time writing some garbage peronal statement. As far as transcripts and all that jazz, that will be rather quick to take care of. Might finish that tomorrow actually.

Concerns
Hello to all,

I am a fresh graduate and finished undergrad in Biomedical Sciences with 3.834 GPA..I took the MCAT last year and scored in the low 20s..

I recently signed up for the July 18th test date and now I begin to rant out a few questions :)

1) When is the earliest I can submit my primaries?

a) When re-writing my personal statement, would I have to address why I scored badly on my 1st mcat? or shud I ignore and focus on general experiences, classes, work exp etc only...?

2) In my last year (between Fall 07 and Spr 08) I haven't done any research, volunteering, or anything..is that bad? I don't have any shadowing experience but I have had volunteering exp at a hospital and have had 2-3 lab assistant jobs...(the work-study ones...I dint do much or get to learn much :( ...)

3)I applied for FAP (Fee Assistance Program)...does that weaken my
application??

4) I have read through the posts and it seems that EK bio book is popular to prep for Bio...( silly question...do you ppl suggest EK bio 1001 only or both (its BIO textbk and 1001) or do u think Kaplan is good enough??

a) Shud I practice a lot with 1001 books or Kaplan's prac materials?

5)Can one review the material and prep for the exam in a month?

6) Ideally, how many prac tests shud u take? specifically, which AAMC ones?

I have access to the Kaplan course materials and online class...and I have all the EK books...

PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE..YOUR ADVISE IS REALLLLYYYY APPRECIATED!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!! :)

On a side note, I "started" studying after I got done with school...which is the past 20 days...trying to review Kaplan Physics and I am already frustrated...but will keep trying...

I have a score on file (but it is more than three years old), so I think AMCAS will send out my primary before I take the 7/18 test. I am planning on submitting the app in the next few weeks, but I have everything mostly done now anyway so it shouldn't interfere with the push to study.

sb29... I think whether you'll be ready by 7/18 depends entirely on you and how confident you feel. Are you working this summer? There are enough weekends between then and now that you could take all 8 AMCAS practice exams on Saturdays and Sundays with a couple weekends off, which I think could only help. I only have experience with Kaplan bio materials but I've found them to be extremely useful (I scored super high on the bio section five years ago, although I'm also a huge bio nerd so I can't say it was all Kaplan).

There are loads of threads on SDN with advice on AMCAS and for your chances (with lots of people that seem to be really informed). This one is pretty good: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=418763

Oof, last night after I studied for a while I decided to take a break and watch some episodes of Bones on my DVR... and stayed up until 3:30am watching over half the season. I love that show, but it's pretty much ruined my morning! At least now I've seen them all so I won't be tempted again.