July 2015 NPTE in CA- When do we get our official license/license #???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runlove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just passed the 2015 NPTE on July 21st (woo hoo) and am starting to job hunt (Im in California, btw). I am a a little nervous because we are not technically "DPT" until we get our license even if we passed our boards (I believe) and still PTLA, and I'm afraid that that might make it harder to secure a job.

So does anyone know or have an idea of when we should get our license in the mail?? Ive talked to ppl who took it in the past, and some have waited A FEW MONTHS -____- but that was several years ago... anyway, just wanting to put some feelers out there, see if anyone may know more! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just passed the 2015 NPTE on July 21st (woo hoo) and am starting to job hunt (Im in California, btw). I am a a little nervous because we are not technically "DPT" until we get our license even if we passed our boards (I believe) and still PTLA, and I'm afraid that that might make it harder to secure a job.

So does anyone know or have an idea of when we should get our license in the mail?? Ive talked to ppl who took it in the past, and some have waited A FEW MONTHS -____- but that was several years ago... anyway, just wanting to put some feelers out there, see if anyone may know more! Thanks!!

Anybody hear back from CA yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
They deposited my check, so they must be working on my application right now. I also received my ATT for the jurisprudence exam.

4-6 weeks post result submission.

CAPTB Application Deadline - June 26th
NPTE Results posted - July 28
4-6 weeks - 25 Aug- 8 Sept

I have lived in CA all my life so I understand how futile working with state agencies can be. They probably had 200-300 pass the boards in July, but dang....

Maybe this is something the CAPTA can put on their next agenda for discussion.

CAPTB Application Deadline - June 26th
NPTE Results posted - July 28
4-6 weeks - 25 Aug- 8 Sept

I have lived in CA all my life so I understand how futile working with state agencies can be. They probably had 200-300 pass the boards in July, but dang....

Maybe this is something the CAPTA can put on their next agenda for discussion.

The CPTA has little, if any influence on the PTBC. 2-300 is too low. More like 6-800-ish, mostly from the over saturated CA PT schools in SoCal.

Passed the jurisprudence exam, so now we wait :)

Reactions: 1 user
Another update: received my PTLA letter today (3 weeks from the date they received my completed application)

In case you're wondering how long it took until this point: they received my completed application on July 27th, my NPTE score on July 29th (since I tested with WA as my jurisdiction and had score sent to CA), and my jurisprudence exam score on August 16th.

So we'll see how long it takes until I get my official license.

They deposited my check, so they must be working on my application right now. I also received my ATT for the jurisprudence exam.

LOL. I expect nothing less from California. The state will take your money immediately and spend it, but you have to wait six weeks to get a piece of paper.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any advice on preparing for the CA jurisprudence exam?

Does anyone have any advice on preparing for the CA jurisprudence exam?

The practice act is the most important and is more an overview of the California laws. You should read both thoroughly. Know everything concerning the PT's supervisory responsibilities for PTA's to PTALA's to Aides. I'd review the responsibilities to the state board and consequences that may arise if overlooked, whether punitive or $. The statutes one is hit and miss. If you don't think it pertains to you as a practicing PT, move on. If it can relate to billing, self promotion, or self disclosure about services rendered, I'd pay more attention - down to the $ involved if you decide to be naughty or negligent.

Thanks for the advice. How did you all study for the exam? Do I need to read every word of every document that CherokeeWahine posted above?

Thanks for the advice. How did you all study for the exam? Do I need to read every word of every document that CherokeeWahine posted above?

Do you need to read every word: for the practice act and regulations, I would say yes. Ultimately, it's your license on the line. If you attempt to read every word for the third thing (statutes outside of the practice act), you'll still be studying 100 years from now.

I studied by reading the things I mentioned above, but do whatever works for you: flashcards, study with a friend, take notes, etc.

Last edited: