July PCAT study group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wallace12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who all is taking the PCAT in July and would maybe want to join together in this thread and ask for help and keep each other motivated for the test??
I'll be studying starting ~may 13th it's the Monday after my spring finals. I'll be using Dr Collins and MAYBE cracking pcat by PR. But it doesn't matter what materials we use we can still help each other out. Lets kill this test and get accepted into pharmacy school!
LETS GOOOOO!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I see that exact same question and I was like uhh? But the Pearson explanation made sense though, kinda haha

Oh I see. The only Vitamin name I was told appeared on the test was Vitamin C(Ascorbic Acid). Aside from that, only other vitamin question is what are the water-soluble and fat soluble and what are the names of Vitamin C and D deficiency? Those that cover most of it or should I do more reading?

Yes, you need to know some basic things and that's all :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's so silly they have those vitamin questions and such in the PCAT. I don't know about other people, but I'm going to a be a senior in biology and have finished all of my pharmacy school prereqs, and I never once learned anything about that. We aren't pharmacy students yet! :p

I have been debating for days to buy test 4...but I'm not going to because of self confidence as people have said, and nothing more is going to stick in my head if it's something brand new. At this point in the game, we all know what we know and should just review things that are our weakness like if you're not good at trig functions for QA or the cell phases for biology, etc.

I'm just trying to pretend like I'm not freaking out on the inside. :p

This. 100%

Been following this group, even though I'm not taking an exam this week. Just wanna say GOOD LUCK and hope all of you guys do well.

Just finished the last of the 3 Pearson practice tests and I must say each was mentally draining, but hopefully they are going to pay off on the 18th. I think I am done studying and will probably take the whole day off tomorrow just relaxing. My composite scores were similar to everyone else's and I definitely felt like Test 4 was quite challenging and somewhat lowered my confidence level

Test 2: 80-99% composite (felt like it was a bit too easy)
Test 3: 70-90 % composite (felt like what an actual PCAT would be like)
Test 4: 67-87% composite (RC and quantitative took me by surprise. Content overall was much more difficult)

Good luck to everyone tomorrow and on the 18th!

Yeah.. I'm trying to stay positive... lol The fact that I can get 100% correct on all the collins practice problems as I went over all sections 4 times.. lol But there are some different types of questions on the pearson practice test that I just want to make sure I know how to do before the real thing. And some questions on collins exactly repeated on the pearson test but their answer are different than collins. I don't which one I should follow.

ex) colilins - Dictionary : Thesaurus :: Hammer: Tool
Practice - Dictionary : Thesaurus :: Hammer : Saw

lol

I would go with saw

Another pearson vs Collins difference..

Pearson "Calculus:trigonometry as painting: sculpture"
Collins "Calculus:trigonometry as painting: pallete

ARGHH!! quite frankly, I'm scared of using Collins to study for verbal now.. :scared:

Another pearson vs Collins difference..

Pearson "Calculus:trigonometry as painting: sculpture"
Collins "Calculus:trigonometry as painting: pallete

ARGHH!! quite frankly, I'm scared of using Collins to study for verbal now.. :scared:

Yeah I got that incorrect as well -_-. That one and the one about hammers and saws/tools. Verbal be tricky tricky.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I am done studying as well. This process has been mentally draining and a day off could do us well before the real thing. I might look at some AP and bio diagrams but not much else.

Yeah.. I'm trying to stay positive... lol The fact that I can get 100% correct on all the collins practice problems as I went over all sections 4 times.. lol But there are some different types of questions on the pearson practice test that I just want to make sure I know how to do before the real thing. And some questions on collins exactly repeated on the pearson test but their answer are different than collins. I don't which one I should follow.

ex) colilins - Dictionary : Thesaurus :: Hammer: Tool
Practice - Dictionary : Thesaurus :: Hammer : Saw

lol

Well, it makes sense right? Dictionarys and Thesaurus' are both spelling/grammer ``tools``. whereas hammer and saw are both tools. A hammer is a type of tool, but a thesaurus isnt a type of dictionary

I think I am done studying as well. This process has been mentally draining and a day off could do us well before the real thing. I might look at some AP and bio diagrams but not much else.

I did some practice tests and bombed done so I just went to bed haha getting easy questions wrong and stuff, just couldn't focus really.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!!

Thankfully I write mine at 12:30. Cant wait to get this over with. Hopefully there isnt anything too tricky beyond what we saw on the practice

I DO NOT WANT TO STUDY ANYMORE!!! If feel like I'm starting to hurt my score rather then improving! fml.

Just got my scores back from the PCAT
VA:406/58% :mad:
BIO:435/92%
RC:414/76%
QA:416/77%
CHEM:472/99%
COMP:429/94

Overall feeling: Excited, felt I didn't do as good, overall pretty satisfied with results, wish VA could be with the rest of the scores would've bumped me up to around 95-96 probably, but I am glad it is over with haha. Chem was really easy and bio was alright had some totally random disease and other stuff on, and QA and RC as expected. VA had words i had no clue so analogies killed me. Pearson practice tests seem to be very identical to how i did on real test. Good luck to everyone else that has yet to take the test:D

Overall feeling: Excited, felt I didn't do as good, overall pretty satisfied with results, wish VA could be with the rest of the scores would've bumped me up to around 95-96 probably, but I am glad it is over with haha. Chem was really easy and bio was alright had some totally random disease and other stuff on, and QA and RC as expected. VA had words i had no clue so analogies killed me. Pearson practice tests seem to be very identical to how i did on real test. Good luck to everyone else that has yet to take the test:D

Nice score! Do you think the test was more similar to practice test 4 or 2/3?

What were the Chem questions like that you got a 99% in it...
Was it more like introductory kind of questions or reaction kind of questions?

What were the Chem questions like that you got a 99% in it...
Was it more like introductory kind of questions or reaction kind of questions?

Thanks! I'd say it was more similar to practice test 4, except reading was not as hard, but thats just my opinion.
The chem questions were pretty much all the same concepts from dr. collins chem review so if you do well on collins chem practice tests youll do just as well on pcat id say.

Wow, amazing score! Was there more than the usual microbiology and biochemistry?

Nice scores! :thumbup: I'm usually just floating around this thread and reading what everyone has to say. I'm taking it tomorrow. Was anything else similar to Dr. Collins? That was my main study tool and I'm hoping it helps. I hope to do as well you did!

i see. u had a great incline from practice test 4. phew:).

Anyone have any tips on how to stop freaking out about the PCAT tomorrow? Haha, I wanted that one extra day to study, but now all I can do is watch everyone else post and worry!

Dang that is awesome, if I get 90+ I'd be extremely satisfied!!! Congrats, my test is in 4 hours. Dun dun dun

Thanks you guys! bio had usual biochem (with a couple of actual hard biochem questions) and regular micro with diseases and stuff. Lot more anatomy and phsyiology questions though and i havent taken either of those classes yet, but there were a few a&p questions that were very specific and not covered by collins/pearson practice tests.
Glad i got it over with today, but those of you taking it later today or tomorrow i wish you good luck:), id just relax and give your brain some rest and be confident that if you did well on collins and pearson practice tests then youll do well on pcat because pearson practice test #4 is about as hard as it gets! haha

I got my preliminary score report after taking my PCAT this morning. How different are these from the "official" score reports that get mailed 5 weeks from now? I didn't score as much as I had hoped for but these are my scores:

Verbal Ability 387 25
Biology 405 51
Reading Comp. 395 40
Quantitative 413 72
Chemistry 426 85
Composite 405 57

I know it's not the best score but I did try my best. I did good in Chem and Math, barely okay in Biology and did horrible in both English sections (it's my second language). I'm going into my third year of undergraduate at WSU and want to apply. I have a 3.6 GPA and around a 2.8-3.0 science GPA (which I hope to improve this year). Do I have a decent chance of getting in? I want to apply at the MI schools WSU, UofM and Ferris State.

Do I definitely need to retake it? I think I can improve my Bio grade but I'm not so sure I can improve much about Verbal and Reading. I was thinking of applying this year and if I don't get in, I would retake it next summer for the next year that I apply. Also, I'd be waiting a year so I could finish a Bachelor in Biology which should give me a better chance.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance

Anyone have any tips on how to stop freaking out about the PCAT tomorrow? Haha, I wanted that one extra day to study, but now all I can do is watch everyone else post and worry!

Right now I'm finishing up all of Dr. Collins' practice tests and then I'm going to go back over the Pearson practice test 4. I'm so nervous! I'm afraid the nervousness is going to make me forget everything.

Right now I'm finishing up all of Dr. Collins' practice tests and then I'm going to go back over the Pearson practice test 4. I'm so nervous! I'm afraid the nervousness is going to make me forget everything.

I prepared the same way the days before the test. And don't worry i was pretty stressed last night, only got like 4 hours of sleep and wasnt even hungry for breakfast and I did fine once I got there.

I got my preliminary score report after taking my PCAT this morning. How different are these from the "official" score reports that get mailed 5 weeks from now? I didn't score as much as I had hoped for but these are my scores:

Verbal Ability 387 25
Biology 405 51
Reading Comp. 395 40
Quantitative 413 72
Chemistry 426 85
Composite 405 57

I know it's not the best score but I did try my best. I did good in Chem and Math, barely okay in Biology and did horrible in both English sections (it's my second language). I'm going into my third year of undergraduate at WSU and want to apply. I have a 3.6 GPA and around a 2.8-3.0 science GPA (which I hope to improve this year). Do I have a decent chance of getting in? I want to apply at the MI schools WSU, UofM and Ferris State.

Do I definitely need to retake it? I think I can improve my Bio grade but I'm not so sure I can improve much about Verbal and Reading. I was thinking of applying this year and if I don't get in, I would retake it next summer for the next year that I apply. Also, I'd be waiting a year so I could finish a Bachelor in Biology which should give me a better chance.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance

What materials did you use?

This might sound like a stupid question but I am taking the PCAT tomorrow night at 5 and to study i have been using my brother's (Dr. Collin 2010 version) to study. I am pretty sure none of you have that version so I am very scared about my chances. Plus, I am missing the chemistry practice exams so that makes me even more nervous as i have nothing to study for chemistry. With all that said, I feel like I have studied as much as possible for the PCAT but i never bought any of the Pearson practice exams. It might be too late but i wanna try at-least one practice exam tonight to see how i do and see if there are any new materials that weren't in the 2010 version. That being said, Do you guys think it is worth it? and If so, How do I buy it? I know i didn't do the best preparation but I feel semi-confident about myself because of the Dr. Collin study materials i have from 3 years ago. Please help me out! :) Thank you!

was the QA on the actual pact as hard as the one on practice test 4?

This might sound like a stupid question but I am taking the PCAT tomorrow night at 5 and to study i have been using my brother's (Dr. Collin 2010 version) to study. I am pretty sure none of you have that version so I am very scared about my chances. Plus, I am missing the chemistry practice exams so that makes me even more nervous as i have nothing to study for chemistry. With all that said, I feel like I have studied as much as possible for the PCAT but i never bought any of the Pearson practice exams. It might be too late but i wanna try at-least one practice exam tonight to see how i do and see if there are any new materials that weren't in the 2010 version. That being said, Do you guys think it is worth it? and If so, How do I buy it? I know i didn't do the best preparation but I feel semi-confident about myself because of the Dr. Collin study materials i have from 3 years ago. Please help me out! :) Thank you!

I also have the 2010 version and I'm pretty sure it's the same as all his other versions from what I've heard on here. You may be at a disadvantage of not having the chemistry portion. I would buy at least one of the Pearson tests and take it tonight. They were similar to Dr. Collins' and showed me what the real PCAT will be like. You just go on the PearsonVUE website (where you registered) and buy it from there.

got my prelim scores

VA 58
BIO 89
RC 6 :(
QA 85
CHEM 78

Composite 66

I don't know if i should apply or retake, i'm trying to go to UNT and they don't seem to want that high of score, but I'm kinda disappointed in myself and would like to prove that i can do so much better.

Hey, isanders,

Did you also get the same fine tip marker and flip pad? Was it easy to use/erase?

Yes, a fine tip marker and flip pad. Couldnt really erase unless you used your hand and the tip sometimes was dull but it was alright because they said to raise your hand if you needed another notepad and theyd bring you one so you wouldnt have to take time erasing. I did a lot of writing on chem and math but managed to not use the whole flip pad.

got my prelim scores

VA 58
BIO 89
RC 6 :(
QA 85
CHEM 78

Composite 66

I don't know if i should apply or retake, i'm trying to go to UNT and they don't seem to want that high of score, but I'm kinda disappointed in myself and would like to prove that i can do so much better.

Which practice test did you think the PCAT was most similar to? Practice test 4? Your score is good. I am applying to UNT also, if I get a score similar to yours then I will not retake it at all.

was the QA on the actual pact as hard as the one on practice test 4?
I found it very similar to pearson test 4. It was definitely challenging, but time was the biggest factor by far. I guessed and flagged for review many problems that would just take to long, and did all the easy algebra basic math stuff and didnt really have time to go back and answer the flagged ones.

I also have the 2010 version and I'm pretty sure it's the same as all his other versions from what I've heard on here. You may be at a disadvantage of not having the chemistry portion. I would buy at least one of the Pearson tests and take it tonight. They were similar to Dr. Collins' and showed me what the real PCAT will be like. You just go on the PearsonVUE website (where you registered) and buy it from there.
Okay thanks. I am worried, Everyone is saying that the Practice test 4 was super hard and its just a way to kill your confidence. I'm not sure if i am ready to do that since I'm already worried about this test. In the Dr. Collin practice tests, I score in the 85-95 percent range on each section (except chemistry). And for the chemistry section, I read over my Organic Chemistry book and went over everything from Organic Chem 1. I'm hoping there won't be many Organic Chem 2 questions on the test because I seriously don't remember anything.

Definitely not a dumb question. Not having chemistry practice tests (all 11) will affect your score in my opinion because I think that Dr. collins is best chem prep by far. Nevertheless, I would buy a practice test from pearson just to get yourself comfortable with timing and the online test situation. If you want to see the hardest the test can get, buy #4 or if you want easier ones to boost your confidence buy test #2 or 3. good luck!:)

I found it very similar to pearson test 4. It was definitely challenging, but time was the biggest factor by far. I guessed and flagged for review many problems that would just take to long, and did all the easy algebra basic math stuff and didnt really have time to go back and answer the flagged ones.
Isanders, If I were to buy a practice test from Pearson, either 2-4, which one would you recommend according to the test you took? I hope I'm not asking to much, just wanna know because I plan on either taking one of those tests or go over the 1000's of flashcards I have. haha