Just a hello and update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oneday_9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Great addition.
Just began school last week...been meeting with grad PharmD's...I'm exploring some type of way to research the economic impact of pharmacogenomic tests. Basically, how to make cost effective and how to pitch it to hospitals to pick up currently available tests. These are just some ideas for my 4th year project for the Health Policy and Mgmnt pathway.

But I am digging school, lots to learn, speaking of...off to the books.

I like having a pharmacy student only forum!

Members don't see this ad.

That's a huge project, probably a dissertation level issue. Suggest you review the literature and research methodology to see if you can pull this off.

Oneday_9 said:
Great addition.
Just began school last week...been meeting with grad PharmD's...I'm exploring some type of way to research the economic impact of pharmacogenomic tests. Basically, how to make cost effective and how to pitch it to hospitals to pick up currently available tests. These are just some ideas for my 4th year project for the Health Policy and Mgmnt pathway.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not...its just not ment for

OH MY GOD, WHERE DO I HAVE A CHANCE TO GET INTO?!?!?

But this is a good forum for pharmacy discussion in general, for example you should make a chemo thread about the things you do. I think fellow sdn'ers would find it interesting

Caverject said:
It's not...its just not ment for

OH MY GOD, WHERE DO I HAVE A CHANCE TO GET INTO?!?!?

But this is a good forum for pharmacy discussion in general, for example you should make a chemo thread about the things you do. I think fellow sdn'ers would find it interesting

I was kidding. ;) Anywho, yeah, I may do the chemo thread; it depends on how much you're going to pay me for the info. :smuggrin: Kidding again! :)

lord999 said:
That's a huge project, probably a dissertation level issue. Suggest you review the literature and research methodology to see if you can pull this off.
Indeed. I recently asked about the feasability of pharmacogenomics, and a Ph.D. (in genetics/molecular bio) told me to ask him again it 10 years. It's quite a ways off. I'm not sure that it's appropriate material for a 1st-week phamacy student. But, before I knock it, I would be interested to see what you've got. ("how to make cost effective and how to pitch it to hospitals to pick up currently available tests")

jdpharmd? said:
Indeed. I recently asked about the feasability of pharmacogenomics, and a Ph.D. (in genetics/molecular bio) told me to ask him again it 10 years. It's quite a ways off. I'm not sure that it's appropriate material for a 1st-week phamacy student. But, before I knock it, I would be interested to see what you've got. ("how to make cost effective and how to pitch it to hospitals to pick up currently available tests")

Yea it's a huge issue for sure. I do know of a couple of chem drugs we can test for with children, yet again, cost deters our hospital from covering. I know it's a ways off but I have about 3 years to work on something more specific to try and tackle some issue pertaining to pharmacogenomics. It's just an area I think could be charted in some way. Hopefully, something will happen over the next years, I can latch on to and go for it. That's why I am starting early man!

haha

aim for the sky, right. Maybe I will just do this as preliminary to residency or posibly MPH...something related to pharmacoeconmics irregardless.

Thanks for the feedback. If ya know of a few prof's to contact, I have no problem picking brains.

I think you had better start now! It really is a huge topic, but I also find pharmacogenomics a fascinating subject. I can see a great deal of potential for it, but I think the genetic technology needs to be improved and become widespread before we see any real implementation of pharmacogenomic treatments on any useful scale. That being said, who knows where we will be in 10 years!

What I meant my earlier statement is that you have to narrow it down to a managable topic. For instance, add qualifiers like time limits, cases, etc. For example:

"An cost effectiveness analysis whether serotyping slow methylators by acyl-catalase levels in a downtown Philadelphia clinic leads to better therapeutic outcomes on methyldopa."

I've kept your topic, but I've added qualifiers:
What type of study: CEA
Who: people walking into a downtown Phili clinic
How:
What is my outcome: better therapeutic outcomes (fuzzy, ambigious and could be narrowed down to BP, ADR rate, ALT_AST tests, etc.)
What is my intervention?: Methyldopa
Time: Your choice

I'm still keeping your pharmacogenomics in mind. See, to really research your topic, you need dozens of case related and observational studies. Then you can attempt that broad general type of topic. That could be your career's line of inquiry if you so choose.

I've got a friend in the UCSF program in PharmacoGenomics, and they are throwing money at them to get them in. In UMN, my sister department in Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology is doing the same thing.

If your interested in narrowing it down a bit you might try checking into the research that is being done in Iceland. There has been some effective thereputic treatment for various arthritic conditions there that are genetic based. Iceland has a fairly homogenious population, so it has been at the forefront of a lot of this type of research.

Tuck said:
If your interested in narrowing it down a bit you might try checking into the research that is being done in Iceland. There has been some effective thereputic treatment for various arthritic conditions there that are genetic based. Iceland has a fairly homogenious population, so it has been at the forefront of a lot of this type of research.

Hey that is a great idea! I will definitely look into that research....

lord999 said:
What I meant my earlier statement is that you have to narrow it down to a managable topic. For instance, add qualifiers like time limits, cases, etc. For example:

"An cost effectiveness analysis whether serotyping slow methylators by acyl-catalase levels in a downtown Philadelphia clinic leads to better therapeutic outcomes on methyldopa."

I've kept your topic, but I've added qualifiers:
What type of study: CEA
Who: people walking into a downtown Phili clinic
How:
What is my outcome: better therapeutic outcomes (fuzzy, ambigious and could be narrowed down to BP, ADR rate, ALT_AST tests, etc.)
What is my intervention?: Methyldopa
Time: Your choice

I'm still keeping your pharmacogenomics in mind. See, to really research your topic, you need dozens of case related and observational studies. Then you can attempt that broad general type of topic. That could be your career's line of inquiry if you so choose.

I've got a friend in the UCSF program in PharmacoGenomics, and they are throwing money at them to get them in. In UMN, my sister department in Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology is doing the same thing.

Aww, I see. I am definitely not there yet, but I have talked with our Center of Pharmacogenomics and may try to sit in and help over the summer to get ab etter understanding. If not, I was thinking about asking questions pertaining to how are these tests made available, how much they cost, how can the cost be decreased, maybe even study where we are in its development, and what policy changes could be implemented that affect all these areas. It's such a broad topic and infantile that I may just want to study where we are and how we may get to the endpoint, individualized therapies and understanding of genomic pharmacologic interations.

I will definitely use your model for narrowing my topic this wknd when I have a few more minutes of time to think about it. Keep the ideas coming, this is helping so much.

Oneday_9 said:
Great addition.

good idea with your plans. sdn, thanks for setting up pharmacy/pre-pharmacy forum