just a thought

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesse14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people on these forums don't like chiropractic for various reasons and i accept peoples views. I am going to be a DC so i thought i'd share my 2 cents on something that occured to me tonight as i was in my dads office studying (he's a DC as well).

On my study break i started snooping through all of my dads OLD notes from over 25 years ago when he was in chiro school. I saw binders upon binders of notes from anatomy to athletic therapy to phsyiology. Now, i have never been to MD school nor DC school so i could never compare the two professions education. i KNOW MD educations is tough and i respect the hell out of them but i also feel DC education is more rigorous than many people make it out to be. But i digress.... I was looking at my dad's notes from his forth year of DC school and then i saw another binder filled with information on how to start a practice and survive all by yourself as a chiropractor. It occured to me that unlike most other health care professions, the day you graduate from a chiro college you better have your $hit in order or you're in big trouble. So, if studying for your board exams isn't enough stress, future DC's also have to worry about how they'll survive once they pass those exams. That to me seems like a TON of stress. Just imagion: You just had your DC graduation and you're so excited to be a chiropractor and then you go to bed that night and wake up the next morning with NO resedency or interniship to help you along your way. YOu're ALONE with only yourself to depend on for your survival. Basically, a DC has a huge debt load while trying to figur out how to run a business, get patients, and be an ethical doctor (the kind i plan to be).
I think a lot of people should give chiros a break. It's no wonder they have higher than average student loan defalt rates. ... they have to pass chiro college, learn how to run a business, and get a patient base all alone. That can't be easy. I'm not even sure why i'm writing this lol but i felt the need to. I guess im just venting on the stress i'm going to endure in the coming years. But i'm ready for it .......... i think :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

The question has never been one of "do chiropractors have a difficult time opening a practice?" but rather "is their eductation sufficent to treat patients safely" and "are their methods effective therapy for the conditions they claim to treat". And you are right, you have no idea what an MD education entails, but regardless of any comparison between the educations, an MD will have 3-5 years of residency afterwards where they will see literally thousands of patients who are genuinely ill. The chiro will, by your own admission, will be "trying to figure out how to run a business, get patients, and be an ethical doctor".

BTW - the internship and residency does nothing to teach an MD how to run their business. It does, however, provide a very real and very important education in patient care.

:cool: