Just decided to become premed: NEED ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachybeachy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello future/current doctors of the world!

This is my first post on here so be kind :)
So I'm a recent college grad and throughout my undergrad career I wanted to go for nursing/PA school. I graduated a psych/soc major and took some of my pre-reqs at my UG. However, now i'm in a post-bacc program to finish up the rest of my pre-reqs and decided that instead of pursuing nursing/PA I'd like to become a doctor. I've always been on the fence about it and now decided to commit.
Is a pre-health post-bacc program a good starting path to be on for med school? I 'll be taking physics, bio, and all those other courses. Also, I have tons of experience with shadowing doctors, volunteering, and working very closely with patients (bc its required for pa and nursing). So now that I'm switching over is there any advice you guys can give me and help me get on the right path?

P.S I'm looking into getting into research asap.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN! Your path right now is correct but basic. If you give us ballpark stats (cGPA, sGPA, hours in different ECs) we could give you targetted advice. Everything you've said so far is correcct.

Reactions: 1 users
Welcome to SDN! Your path right now is correct but basic. If you give us ballpark stats (cGPA, sGPA, hours in different ECs) we could give you targetted advice. Everything you've said so far is correcct.

my cGPA is 3.16, pretty low I know. My sGPA is higher. not sure exactly what it is though I'll have to calculate. But i still have more courses to take so they'll both go up. I have over 1200 hours of direct patient care hours (worked at several doctors offices doing vitals, EKGs, etc.) and I also volunteered as an EMT. I've shadowed both doctors and PAs. I also do other volunteering in hospitals/hospice

Members don't see this ad :)
your cGPA is very low... You'll need to look into DO schools or do an SMP and ace it if you really want MD. Your gpa may go up, but I don't know if it will be significant enough to be able to get into MD without an SMP. Right now just work on acing your classes.

my cGPA is 3.16, pretty low I know. My sGPA is higher. not sure exactly what it is though I'll have to calculate. But i still have more courses to take so they'll both go up. I have over 1200 hours of direct patient care hours (worked at several doctors offices doing vitals, EKGs, etc.) and I also volunteered as an EMT. I've shadowed both doctors and PAs. I also do other volunteering in hospitals/hospice

Do a career changer post-bac at a school with linkage if possible. But first calculate your GPA and how many credits you need (assuming all As) to make it go up to a level that is competitive for MD school. Then, continue focusing on your EC. That's my advice, although it is quite simplified.