Just EIGHT interviewees??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heard the numbers from my home school program secretary. If they are any representation at all, applicant numbers are down this year across the true North. I so could have gotten in! *fume*

And all those other what-if's.

Ah well. Thought I'd indulge my urge to rant. I console myself by thinking that unlike them, I will not be doing an internship year if I match... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

deschutes said:
Heard the numbers from my home school program secretary. If they are any representation at all, applicant numbers are down this year across the true North. I so could have gotten in! *fume*

And all those other what-if's.

Ah well. Thought I'd indulge my urge to rant. I console myself by thinking that unlike them, I will not be doing an internship year if I match... :thumbup:
Oh come on...deep down inside you know you wanna do an internship year. Stop being so evasive about it...

Members don't see this ad :)
deschutes said:
I'll let that pass.

Judging from page views, I am evidently giving many AMG candidates palpitations.

Im confused, why did you think you couldnt have gotten in again? I seriously think you guys are overestimating the eliteness of being a pathologist. Trust me, in general we make Revenge of the Nerds look like the cool kid crowd, think Napolean Dynamite with a microscope.(or better yet Kip his brother!) Im actually shocked when I hear other pathologists have kids sometimes, thinking to myself somehow God gave everyone the ability the procreate, even the most socially ******ed.

Hey, I resent that LAdoc, I have a trophy husband specifically chosen for the breeding of attractive children.

Are talking about pathology interview numbers or a different specialty? I heard that path applicant numbers are up this year.

trex92499 said:
Hey, I resent that LAdoc, I have a trophy husband specifically chosen for the breeding of attractive children.

Women that marry really attractive men are playing a dangerous game....Danger, Will Robinson, Danger! :D

After seeing a coworker who's well dressed hubby was hitting up the gay personals on craigslist, Im fairly skeptical. Then theres the whole Scott Peterson thing. Better for you ladies to stick with the real dorks, they are safe, gentle and can rattle off a differential for neuroendocrine neoplasms of the lung should you need it during a hot loving making session at the next USCAP meeting. :laugh:

LADoc00 said:
Im confused, why did you think you couldnt have gotten in again?
Re-read my post ;)

Ignore this thread, everyone. Yes path4, path applicants #'s in the US are up this year. My boundaries simply extend beyond yours.

deschutes said:
. My boundaries simply extend beyond yours.

Umm I dont know about that, my boundaries are pretty vast and I did fine, I think. Plus if youre a woman, any female is considered a "hottie" among pathologists, heck anyone dressed as a woman would be! :laugh:

If you're referring to your career taking you coast to coast as it seems to have, I'll be the first to claim no competition for you at all! My boundaries simply refer to the fact that my home school is not in the US.

(...at which point everyone loses interest. :rolleyes: )

LADoc00, I know you aren't afraid to p. anyone o.: your task - should you choose to accept it - is to please rank these programs:

Iowa
Med U South Carolina
Minnesota
Northwestern
Ohio State
Wayne State

(it's in alphabetical order, just to throw off any rank-list analyzers lurking these waters :cool: )

MUSC is the sleeper no one thinks about, but kicks butt in one small niche area that can make you a tidy profit: dermpath.

Other than that, Im gonna have to charge for my advice now. :laugh:
But theres my daily freebie.

I have also heard good things about MUSC - in particularly that they train excellent community pathologists who are prepared well.

Where you do your residency can be important for dermpath because fellowships often promote their own residents from within.

And therein lies the dilemma.

MUSC at least claims to not necessarily favour its own residents. (And yes, I do know what you are going to say!) But again, I find it hard to care at this point. If I knew with single-minded fervor that I wanted to do a particular subspecialty with all my heart, then I probably wouldn't consider any programs but those with established fellowships in that field.

But right now I'm still (relatively) bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

When do you start applying for fellowships?

Some fellowships have been known to be basically filled two years ahead of time... So remember that big smile when going to USCAP and other pow-wows.

But why would anyone go to USCAP and scowl? :D

If I am understanding the timeline right, you start applying for fellowships at the end of your PGY-1 year? Crap.

deschutes said:
I forgot - dermpath is like a neon sign for you :p

You do realize I'm talking residency and not fellowship.

Lots of people advertise themselves as a "dermpath" without the fellowship. They take 4-6 months of electives in it and hang out a shingle. It works, Ive seen it. Thats what I meant, plus youd have a big head start in getting a derm fellowship should you decide to apply elsewhere.

LADoc00 said:
Im confused, why did you think you couldnt have gotten in again? I seriously think you guys are overestimating the eliteness of being a pathologist. Trust me, in general we make Revenge of the Nerds look like the cool kid crowd, think Napolean Dynamite with a microscope.(or better yet Kip his brother!) Im actually shocked when I hear other pathologists have kids sometimes, thinking to myself somehow God gave everyone the ability the procreate, even the most socially ******ed.

Love him or hate him, he does make you laugh.

LADoc00 said:
Lots of people advertise themselves as a "dermpath" without the fellowship. They take 4-6 months of electives in it and hang out a shingle. It works, Ive seen it. Thats what I meant, plus youd have a big head start in getting a derm fellowship should you decide to apply elsewhere.

It's that age-old catch. If you have a license you can do anything (if you find people willing to pay for it and aren't concerned about lawsuits). I can perform neurosurgery if I want to - which would probably not be a good idea, even though I've lost count of how many skulls I've opened.

SO anybody can call themselves a dermpath. Actually, the US is one of the few countries that have a formal board certification for Dermpath. The UK has a similar system: A Diploma in Dermpath, but everywhere else I know of it's EITHER derms only OR paths only looking at slides. And they happily call themselves dermpaths, even though they have no formal fellowship-type training, or even necessarily knowledge of the other speciality.

Add to that, that a lot of US derms reads their own slides, and only sends away the difficult stuff for consultation. So it's a rather opaque market in a lot of ways.