Just Gave my Notice TODAY!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thewendster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i let my work know today that i'd be leaving at the end of the month so that I could spend the next year finishing up my pre-reqs, studying for the MCAT, and applying to med school!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! Now the fun begins...

Don't forget to make sure you have health insurance coverage BEFORE you leave, which means you might need to understand COBRA or somesuch.

Also don't forget to take advantage of paystubs for any credit you need (home equity?) before your paystubs run out.

Good luck!

i let my work know today that i'd be leaving at the end of the month so that I could spend the next year finishing up my pre-reqs, studying for the MCAT, and applying to med school!

I think that this is probably the best thing you can do to ensure your future success in the application process.

It reminds me of this:

When cortez reached the new world, he burned his ships. There was no option for retreat or going back!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

doesn't it feel good?! you are free.

good luck! :)

When cortez reached the new world, he burned his ships. There was no option for retreat or going back!

As I was reading the original post, I was totally hearing Sean Connery's voice in my head doing this bit from The Hunt for Red October, and then I saw your post--great non-trad minds think alike!

haha. thanks guys. yes, these next 3 weeks will be busy as i wrap up work, my chem class, and pack up for the move. i'll look into COBRA today, good idea!

haha. thanks guys. yes, these next 3 weeks will be busy as i wrap up work, my chem class, and pack up for the move. i'll look into COBRA today, good idea!

If you're going back full time, it might be a good idea to look into what insurance the school offers as well. Just a thought.

Chandu The Magician :hardy:

As undergrad at Southeastern Oklahoma State University I had pretty good medical coverage. I just paid a fee and could visit student health services and see a resident for prescriptions. I even had one that sewed me up instead of me making a visit to the er. Most university's have insurance that's pretty cheap for you and your dependents. Definantly worth checking into

COBRA is EXPENSIVE. When I quit my job a year ago, I got one of those catastrophic coverages through Kaiser. It's a little over $100 a month and has a 2K deductible. I pay $60 everytime for an appointment and in a given year the most I'll pay is the 2K. Like I said, catastrophic, but I'm single and it'll probably be different if you're married with dependents to worry about. Good luck!

congradulations on leaving work...i was overwhelmed with a new sense of energy and determination...wherever you move to, be sure do have a few drinks, and enjoy the few days you will have to yourself...and have full confidence that you will acheive your goals...surround yourself with believers, and brush off disbelievers who cross your path along the way!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I remember when I quit work 7 years ago to do the same things at age 29. It was a big deal, since I was married and my wife was going to support me. I finished my undergrad, took the MCAT, got into med school, had a son, and am graduating next week.

I start my internship for neurosurgery residency at my first choice program in a month...

Keep working toward your goals with focus and determination - time will pass, what is important is what you do with that time. I never regret making the leap!

Best Wishes! :)

OP, COBRA, at least when I had it, cost me 250/month to cover myself. School insurance is way cheaper (read: won't bleed you dry)

COBRA is EXPENSIVE. When I quit my job a year ago, I got one of those catastrophic coverages through Kaiser. It's a little over $100 a month and has a 2K deductible. I pay $60 everytime for an appointment and in a given year the most I'll pay is the 2K. Like I said, catastrophic, but I'm single and it'll probably be different if you're married with dependents to worry about. Good luck!

thanks, i have kaiser currently too and i'm single. i may be going the same route as you.

I am planning on leaving my Job this week and start next week the summer prereq. I just turned 31 and to be honest i am nervous but excited...after years of practice and 2 degrees on in architecture and one in real estate finance and development from Columbia university, i have to say i am just a little worried about going back to basic courses and study with undergraduates. any advice? Good luck with everybody who starts now...
Best,
Arktkt