What are my chances, should I just give up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PostBaccEngineer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an undergraduate degree in computer engineering and I hated every minute of it. I ended up with a GPA of 3.1 and decided a year into my career that I wanted to pursue medicine (an old dream of mine) I started my postbacc at NYU and ended up with a GPA of 3.7. I am currently studying for the MCATs and feeling demotivated looking through posts because it feels like I am doing it all for nothing since my chances are pretty low due to my UG GPA. Combined with my postbacc due to a lot of credits in UG I am looking at a 3.25 which is low even for DO schools. I also was working full time as a software engineer and founded my own company while I was doing my postbacc (I needed to earn a living) I am wondering if that would look favorable on my application? Any advice or should I just give up?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, fellow engineer! Yes, the GPA one earns in engineering can be quite a burden for applying to medical school. I had a solid 2.5 when I started my post-bacc and even then I needed that to get into an SMP to get into an MD school (semi-linkage).

While a 3.25 is on the lower side for DO schools, I think a strong MCAT can significantly improve your chances of getting accepted (510+). DO schools traditionally value reinvention somewhat more than MD schools. However, DO students still have a slight disadvantage when it comes to competitive specialties; this is likely due to a combination of historical bias and limited home programs for which to get experience and research. So if you go DO you should be prepared for the possibility of doing a primary care field.

If that doesn't work for you and you desire an MD program then you can always go to an SMP, particularly one that has a linkage to a medical school. Be forewarned that this is high risk/high reward: Do well and you'll very likely get accepted somewhere. Do poorly and your chances of becoming a physician plummet. Having a strong post-bacc is a great boost to an SMP application. A strong MCAT can help too, though it's not required. Oh, but you absolutely won't be able to work fulltime and do the SMP. It will be the hardest and most stressful academic year of your life so far.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied with a 3.05 gpa (very bad grades as a youth followed by a 3.7 gpa twenty years later). Solid MCAT. I applied to about 40 schools including a bunch of DOs. I recvd about 6 DO invites and 2 MDs. I got accepted at both MDs (one was my #1 choice) and pulled out of the cycle. Med school is really really hard. Adcoms want to know that you will be successful and be a good representative of their institution academically. Ask yourself, “Have I proven my ability to succeed in such a difficult curriculum?” A solid MCAT without a solid GPA (upward trend at least) is not enough. If there is a doubt, you need to address it and then apply. The over-all GPA will be a no-go for a LOT of schools but a lot of schools will also appreciate your journey and what you bring to the table. Your 3.7 post bac should do the trick in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I have an undergraduate degree in computer engineering and I hated every minute of it. I ended up with a GPA of 3.1 and decided a year into my career that I wanted to pursue medicine (an old dream of mine) I started my postbacc at NYU and ended up with a GPA of 3.7. I am currently studying for the MCATs and feeling demotivated looking through posts because it feels like I am doing it all for nothing since my chances are pretty low due to my UG GPA. Combined with my postbacc due to a lot of credits in UG I am looking at a 3.25 which is low even for DO schools. I also was working full time as a software engineer and founded my own company while I was doing my postbacc (I needed to earn a living) I am wondering if that would look favorable on my application? Any advice or should I just give up?
You're not reading the right posts.

It's not about the CGPA, but showing the new you us not the old you.

Come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can advise you on school list.

You are not dead but it will be difficult. n =1 to give you motivation....

UG (>10 years ago) ...~maybe 2.6-2.7 sGPA, a little higher for cGPA, but still less than 3.0

I had to do a lot of GPA repair (MS and DIY postbacc).

In the end my app GPAs:
AMCAS GPAs < 3.0

AACOMAS ~3.0

I'm finishing my first year at an MD school in the USA. Mind you, this is an exception to the rule. Keep grinding, listen to the wise ones on SDN and apply broadly and strategically. Good luck!

For the underdogs out there. I spent approx 10 years screwing around taking classes here and there, transferring schools, had a sub 3.0 gpa, had freakin 20 withdrawals on my transcript including downhill skiing. Yup I couldnt finish a course that required me to go skiing.

Rallied, retook classes, rocked the mcat, graduated 3rd in class, >90th percentile on all boards, and now am triple boarded. It can be done. I personally dont recommend it, but recovery is possible if you absolutely must goto med school.

Reactions: 4 users
For the underdogs out there. I spent approx 10 years screwing around taking classes here and there, transferring schools, had a sub 3.0 gpa, had freakin 20 withdrawals on my transcript including downhill skiing. Yup I couldnt finish a course that required me to go skiing.

Rallied, retook classes, rocked the mcat, graduated 3rd in class, >90th percentile on all boards, and now am triple boarded. It can be done. I personally dont recommend it, but recovery is possible if you absolutely must goto med school.
Do withdrawals hurt you? Is there a place in the AMCAS app to explain withdrawals?

The most important thing to keep in mind when it comes to GPA, is your GPA TREND, not your final cum/science GPA.
A higher gpa student with a downward trend would be LESS competitive than a lower gpa student with an upward trend.

You have a solid postbacc gpa, in addition to being above a 3.0, so I think if you do well on your MCAT you have a good shot at some MDs and most DO schools. I don't think you need an SMP, but if you really want to make yourself more competitive for MD, in addition to the MCAT, perhaps take another 1-2 semester of postbacc courses. I would say the goal is to shoot for around 30-60 postbac credits in total.

This is because a lot more schools nowadays tend to focus more on your last 60 or so credits, rather than your entire college career.
Some schools, very rare but still exist, even replace your undergrad gpa with a postbacc gpa if you are over a certain credit number, all being BCPM.
Wayne state is a good example of this.