Just getting Started......got lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samoov

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends ....
I am a fresh dentist just graduated from damascus university(studying Languge is Arabic)my general English is kind of good.
I am considering taking the NBDE 1 next Year.
I have alot of questions and I hope u can help me with :
///
1- what are the usually sources used for perperation (Name all of them please) ?
2-If I took the kaplan 6month's course for NBDE 1 , will I gain a student Visa?
3- how much is the average cost of the Master in the american universities (if there is not ,,, plz give me range) ?
4-is there any residency programs in USA hospitals , if yes ,,, do they usually pay the resident salary ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi friends ....
I am a fresh dentist just graduated from damascus university(studying Languge is Arabic)my general English is kind of good.
I am considering taking the NBDE 1 next Year.
I have alot of questions and I hope u can help me with :
///
1- what are the usually sources used for perperation (Name all of them please) ?
2-If I took the kaplan 6month's course for NBDE 1 , will I gain a student Visa?
3- how much is the average cost of the Master in the american universities (if there is not ,,, plz give me range) ?
4-is there any residency programs in USA hospitals , if yes ,,, do they usually pay the resident salary ?

1. For the preparation resources, you can start with Kaplan lecture notes, and/or Kaplan review book. Along with that you can use supplemental materials like USMLE and NBDE first aid, Dental Decks and your own books of basic sciences you had used during your graduation years.
I had personally used above resources in bits and pieces depending on the subject in Question. But main reliability was on the Kaplan Review and lecture notes and USMLE first Aid 2007 edition. Along with that ASDA papers released from 1977 to 2004 are very useful for practice and also for judging yourself on the basic understanding of the subject matters, as sometimes you may feel that you know a subject too well but when it comes down to solving the case scenario questions we have to bend our knowledge a little bit more and analyse further in order to get answers.

2. Coming to second Question, Kaplan's 6 month program for the NBDE preparation does not get you a student visa, you can take that course on some other visa in US or within your own country if you intend to do so. To write NBDE part 1 or 2 you need to obtain a visitor's visa from your country. Kaplan only grants visas for the degrees or diplomas it grants through Kaplan college in US, I do know some people pursuing certain language courses from Kaplan in order to change their particular status to student visas.

3. A masters program if you gain admission costs you about USD 45,000 to 55,000 depending on the program you have interest in.

4. There are several AEGD and GPR programs in US which are aimed for residencies in hospitals, but as far as I know most programs require the international dentists who do not possess a US degree to pay a fee for the duration whilst the other Dentists trained from US are indeed paid about USD 40,000 to 50,000 for the same. Other than that getting into a residency or a masters program is considerably tougher for the international dentists in comparison to the American graduates.

the dental decks are a good source to start with and are usually enough for anatomy and dental anatomy, for the rest you need a supplementary source like kaplan notes for NDB or kaplan notes for USMLE and toward the end when you start reviewing you can use first aid and released exams, once you start scoring in the 65% range on the released exams you are ready to take the test. anyway you can find all these resources at(the nafak) next to the university. my advice to you is don't think too much ahead take it step by step and for now the boards should be your main focus. ...... salam

Members don't see this ad :)
1. For the preparation resources, you can start with Kaplan lecture notes, and/or Kaplan review book. Along with that you can use supplemental materials like USMLE and NBDE first aid, Dental Decks and your own books of basic sciences you had used during your graduation years.
I had personally used above resources in bits and pieces depending on the subject in Question. But main reliability was on the Kaplan Review and lecture notes and USMLE first Aid 2007 edition. Along with that ASDA papers released from 1977 to 2004 are very useful for practice and also for judging yourself on the basic understanding of the subject matters, as sometimes you may feel that you know a subject too well but when it comes down to solving the case scenario questions we have to bend our knowledge a little bit more and analyse further in order to get answers.

2. Coming to second Question, Kaplan's 6 month program for the NBDE preparation does not get you a student visa, you can take that course on some other visa in US or within your own country if you intend to do so. To write NBDE part 1 or 2 you need to obtain a visitor's visa from your country. Kaplan only grants visas for the degrees or diplomas it grants through Kaplan college in US, I do know some people pursuing certain language courses from Kaplan in order to change their particular status to student visas.

3. A masters program if you gain admission costs you about USD 45,000 to 55,000 depending on the program you have interest in.

4. There are several AEGD and GPR programs in US which are aimed for residencies in hospitals, but as far as I know most programs require the international dentists who do not possess a US degree to pay a fee for the duration whilst the other Dentists trained from US are indeed paid about USD 40,000 to 50,000 for the same. Other than that getting into a residency or a masters program is considerably tougher for the international dentists in comparison to the American graduates.

sir i just wanted to ask is it possible for me to give the nbde part 1 in a prometric centre in canada and then using that marks apply to a university in USA. cos it would be easier for me to give the exam in canada then the US....is it possible thanks in advance

sir i just wanted to ask is it possible for me to give the nbde part 1 in a prometric centre in canada and then using that marks apply to a university in USA. cos it would be easier for me to give the exam in canada then the US....is it possible thanks in advance

It is possible to give NBDE in Canada and apply in US.