Just got EU citizenship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Setto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

So my paper work for my EU citizenship is just about complete and I will eventually hold a passport for Italy. I will be attending RCSI in the fall as a non-EU citizen. Here's what I want to know: Is it beneficial for me to take a year off and apply as an EU citizen and save a whole whack of money (despite the fact that I've already paid my first year's tuition)?

To be honest, part of me want the answer to be "no Setto, even if you do hold an EU passport, you still need to be a permanent resident and have completed necessary EU tests in order to apply for EU entry and fees."

The reason I would like the above answer would be the beautiful inevitability. The fact that even had I received my citizenship earlier, I would still be in the same situation and I don't need to sit around pondering the "what ifs"

Members don't see this ad.

Having an EU passport won't help you unless you've been a resident in the EU for three years before you apply...I have both a US and a German passport, and the German passport is useless for university entrance purposes, as I've been living in the US. It might be helpful in terms of visas and other things-making life easier, but you'll still have to pay the international student rates. Hope that helps!