Just got my Bachelor's...now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sundaybeach

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working on attaining my bachelors in applied psychology from City University in Seattle WA online for the last 6 years while working from home and doing normal mom duties. Now that I have finished school and feel like I am at a standstill.

I took my GRE to get into a masters program and did not do well at all! I am not a good test taker and the math portion is my weakness. I applied to ODU for their College Counseling program and was not accepted.

My boss may have found someone to replace me because I do not want to be an administrative assistant the rest of my life with my new degree.

I have been looking around online to see what my options are. I live in Virginia and am struggling to find an employer who will accept someone who has no experience.

I need suggestions on how to get experience and a job. I do not have the option of picking up and moving because my family is here. For the last 13 years we have been able to survive mostly on one income, but with student loans that have to be paid back, one income may not be an option any more. I would still like to entertain the idea of getting my masters, but I need to do better on my GRE and gain experience.

I really feel lost. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Thanks for helping this lost soul.

Members don't see this ad.

Although I am in no way in a similar situation, I can share your pain with the job search, lack of experience, and difficulty entering a program.

You might look at past topics about getting work as an undergrad and the job titles available:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=699320

With no experience, there are positions like.. Mental Health Tech, Behavioral Therapist, Milieu Therapist, Mental Health Worker, etc. These jobs purport that they only require a BA or HS degree, but are still very competitive. A demonstration of maturity and people-skills will get you far, I think, though (secret: that's 95% of the job). Any local hospital or mental health center is usually hiring for these constantly. You might also look into children's mental health programs, where you can show your life experience.

In terms of school, have you looked into public university MA programs? At my state uni MA, I have at least 6 parents in my classes of 20 students.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have actually read the thread you included in your post. I have done some looking with the subjects you listed and I have not found anything in my area, but I plan on continuing to look.

As I stated previously, I applied to Old Dominion University (ODU) and I did not get accepted into their masters program. There are other colleges around, but they are at least an hours drive.

Nova Southeastern has online Masters of Mental Health Counseling, Counseling, a Doctorate in Conflict Analysis and Resolution, as well as masters in that. I attend the university's undergrad PM me for more details.