just got waitlisted at nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalgurl11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just got a mail from nova today and found out that i was waitlisted there..

kinda disappointed.. did n.e one else got this?

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't hear back until 12/1. I'd contact them to see if it's a mistake.

You can't hear that you have been accepted pre-december 1st. Everything else is free game.

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't hear back until 12/1. I'd contact them to see if it's a mistake.

I think they meant to send it out so that I would recevie the mail by the 1st.. but.. it just happen tht i got it today..............

waitlist = basically rejected unless no one else wanna go there..

Oh ok I didn't know you could be waitlisted before 12/1.

People received rejection letters from Nova today, so op I wouldn't count yourself out just because you are waitlisted. The fact is that a lot of initial acceptances will be turned down because Nova is private and relatively expensive...

I think they meant to send it out so that I would recevie the mail by the 1st.. but.. it just happen tht i got it today..............

Haha, not at all. I'm not sure how many acceptances Nova sends out, but I bet a lot of kids reject Nova to go elsewhere. Most likely for financial reasons.

so exactly how do they decide to accept ppl?.. do you guys know?.. b/c i hve everything (dat, gpa , Ec).. and i reallli thought i did well during my interviews also.. so.. is it just bad luck that i wasnt "accepted"? as their first round of choice?.. i really wanna know this just so i can improve and not make the same mistake if i ever get another interview elsewhere..... ........... how do you exactly know if the interview realli went well or not?

so exactly how do they decide to accept ppl?.. do you guys know?.. b/c i hve everything (dat, gpa , Ec).. and i reallli thought i did well during my interviews also.. so.. is it just bad luck that i wasnt "accepted"? as their first round of choice?.. i really wanna know this just so i can improve and not make the same mistake if i ever get another interview elsewhere..... ........... how do you exactly know if the interview realli went well or not?

Although it could be a slightly akward conversation...this is a question for Nova... im sure Dr. Lippman (dean of admissions) or someone else would be happy to answer this and give you some insight.

Just because the interview went superb alone doesn't seal the deal.

Many (if not most?) schools will consider your whole file at a committee meeting sometime after your interview.

There, they give you a score based on everything about you and your app - gpa,dat,personal,extras,hours, etc,...to compare with others that interviewed. So, the interview alone cannot determine whether you get in or not.

Chances are you probably did great at the interview, but most likely didn't score high enough at the committee meeting to get an outright acceptance versus those who did. Similarly, this is how post-interview rejections occur.

This is why, in most cases, an interview offer alone is nothing to be too excited about if your other stats are weak; you may not 'survive' the committee ranking arena to obtain an acceptance. However, if you are waitlisted, depending on how good your stats are you may have better odds as the cycle goes on.

Dental[U said:
gurl[/U]11;8924406]so exactly how do they decide to accept ppl?.. do you guys know?.. b/c i hve everything (dat, gpa , Ec).. and i reallli thought i did well during my interviews also.. so.. is it just bad luck that i wasnt "accepted"? as their first round of choice?.. i really wanna know this just so i can improve and not make the same mistake if i ever get another interview elsewhere..... ........... how do you exactly know if the interview realli went well or not?

Maybe they want you to be a better speller ;)

Not every person who applies there ends up going there. So, you still have a chance.
Do they tell you where you are in the waitlist? If you're way down the list, then that's essentially a rejection. But if you're not far down, then there's still hope!
Good luck!

Most schools have a formula, where they plug in your DAT, GPA, Interview score, etc. to generate an overall score for you. Not everything is weighted equally in that formula. Some schools care more about GPA while others care more about DAT and other things.
Nevertheless, that overall score is what they look at to come up with a final decision.
Don't call them up just yet, because a waitlist doesn't necessarily mean a rejection.
But, if you do get rejected, call them sometime next year and ask them for the reason. Sometimes, if they're in a good mood they will actually pull out your file and tell you about the comments the admission committee made on your file, and what they wanted you to improve (UNLV did this for me).

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait-listed too...kinda pissed/confused. Oh, and it says its an unranked list...so how the heck does that work??

Wait-listed too...kinda pissed/confused. Oh, and it says its an unranked list...so how the heck does that work??
Looking at your pre-dents, i'm confused too. You'll get in somewhere in a day :)

This doesn't explain how it is an unranked list, but I was told that after the first round of acceptances they take all the waitlisted and new interviewees and re-rank them all. Then for the second batch of acceptances, they send out the same amount of acceptances as declines they get.

You are the second FL resident with good stats that I just read getting either waitlisted or rejected..... :scared:

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed just 'cause its only an hour from home...I still have 2 more schools to hear from Dec. 1st, and 3 interviews I've yet to go to, so I am trying not to dwell on it. Just all be glad you didn't get any mail from them in the past couple days, since it means nothing but bad news!

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed just 'cause its only an hour from home...I still have 2 more schools to hear from Dec. 1st, and 3 interviews I've yet to go to, so I am trying not to dwell on it. Just all be glad you didn't get any mail from them in the past couple days, since it means nothing but bad news!

Way to stay positive. You have a lot of opportunities and I'm sure one of them will pan out:thumbup:

I have an interview at NOVA on Dec!!!! YAY~~

I have an interview on December at NOVA.
If I don't get rejected right away, will I be all the way down the waitlist or is it possible to pass thru all the pre-december interview and get accepted ahead of people who got waitlisted already?

3 posts above you explains this thoroughly

I dont really know what Nova is looking for

I just got rejected with 21/23/19 3.64o/3.71s.
Pretty bummed out. Dr. Lipman had given me the impression at the interview that it went great and that I would be getting in.

so confusing

Pretty bummed out. Dr. Lipman had given me the impression at the interview that it went great and that I would be getting in.

so confusing
You should call and ask tomorrow. That is kind of weird.

so confusing

Wow, not even waitlist.... I would call as futuredent020 says.

Wow, not even waitlist.... I would call as futuredent020 says.
Yea, I definitely think you merit a waitlist. Maybe you said something in your interview that made them think you didn't want to go there or you weren't a good fit....??

i am def calling tomorrow, it just sucks sitting here all night wondering

I thought I was a good match since their big selling point is location and Nova just happens to be in one of the best places to kitesurf in the world. I am no gunner either. Just got to play the waiting game like everyone else.