Just interviewed, nervous about my answer to volunteering.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr_Jan_Itor

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I have just finished an interview for a medical school. It was a fairly informal interview which consisted of an approximately 30 minute discussion between myself and two admissions respresentatives.

I fear that my answer involving their questions about my lack of interviewing was not adequate and may have accidentally even come off as dishonest/inconsistent. I was a collegiate athlete for 2 years of my undergrad and as part of my involvement on the soccer team, I volunteered as a coach. I failed to mention that this volunteering work was part of my time as a collegiate athlete and so it may not appear on my application that there was any volunteer work done.

I also want to mention that I did not continue volunteering once i switched to premed ( i was comp sci my first two years) because I worked as a scribe instead full time. I have been financially supporting myself throughout most of college and so I had to sacrifice my time i would volunteer to work in the clinical setting instead.

I have the contact info for my interviewers and was going to send them a simple thank you email for the interview, however I am considering that maybe i should let them know about this information. Would this even help my chances at this point? or would I be bothering them during a very busy phase in their selection proccess. please advise!!

Thank you
 
There is nothing you can do now. Adding the fact that you did volunteer in your thank you note will come off as very weird sounding. You don't even know if they had a problem with your response, so no need to draw attention to it again.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Omg yes, cast it out of your mind. If you think you did poorly, amend your response for the future but don't focus on the past.