Just looking for some feedback/reassurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedfuturedoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been volunteering with a hospice center since last August now. At the time, it was the only safe clinical experience I could find. I was told I would be able to volunteer in person at non-COVID patients' homes, but this has basically barely happened due to restrictions not easing up as fast as the volunteer coordinator expected and patients also being reluctant to having volunteers come to their home which is completely understandable.

So, instead, I have been virtually providing companionship to a patient and I also go physically into the hospice center to aid nurses/other healthcare staff, greet patients and their families occasionally, and make phone calls to patients to check up on them sometimes on top of making my own virtual visit to my patient while I am there. I am still finding the experience to be INCREDIBLY rewarding and meaningful even with these nuances! I was told that restrictions might FINALLY loosen up and I might be able to visit my patient and other patients in person soon.

I guess I am just worried that is it bad that a decent chunk of my clinical experience in terms of patient contact has been virtual so far? I have gotten feedback from others that this will still be considered clinical, but I am also aware that I definitely could not just apply with this experience on its own which is why I am taking a gap year. If I am able to get more in-person exposure through either hospice or hospital volunteering or both by the time I apply next year do you guys think I should be okay? I was hoping to get 200-300 hours by the time I apply along with more clinical experience after during my gap year.

I also want to add that I have also recently started in-person shadowing (I am hoping to get 50+ hours) and have been participating in virtual shadowing since July of last year (I know it might not count for too much in terms of exposure, but hopefully displays my efforts). Just feeling neurotic as usual and needed some feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

This is a really good question. I will begin by saying that unless students got clinical and shadowing experience before March 2020, they are in the same boat, and admissions committees do understand the context right now. I suggest thinking about the schools that you want to apply to, and then directly contacting their admissions to ask. In addition, and something you can do now, is to look at the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) website and look up each school to see what requirements they have for each experience. This does cost money (as much of it is locked unless you have a subscription). You can also do this research on your own by looking into each school's admission criteria on their own website. This is a great thing to do also to check how your stats match up to those of the previous cycle's matriculated students and can help you decide where you are likely to gain acceptance.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there,

This is a really good question. I will begin by saying that unless students got clinical and shadowing experience before March 2020, they are in the same boat, and admissions committees do understand the context right now. I suggest thinking about the schools that you want to apply to, and then directly contacting their admissions to ask. In addition, and something you can do now, is to look at the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) website and look up each school to see what requirements they have for each experience. This does cost money (as much of it is locked unless you have a subscription). You can also do this research on your own by looking into each school's admission criteria on their own website. This is a great thing to do also to check how your stats match up to those of the previous cycle's matriculated students and can help you decide where you are likely to gain acceptance.

Best of luck!
Hello! Thank you so much for the insight and for your advice! I will definitely contact some schools I am interested in to get a clearer answer but am also glad to hear that admissions committees may be understanding of non-traditional experiences with the current circumstances. I will also check out the MSAR and do research through that and other sources in the meantime. Thank you again!