Just looking for some hope and motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B3llatr!X

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a junior at a Texas public college planning on applying to dental school this summer. However, my GPA is on the low side and this really concerns me.

My bcpGPA will likely be a 3.03 and sGPA a 3.16 at the end of this semester (am taking physics this summer so will change in August). My only A's in science classes have been Chem 1 and Biology 1. I have a C in Chem 2 and Ochem 2. Over all GPA is a 3.45ish.

I am capable of much better grades- my personal life has just been extremely time consuming and emotionally draining these past 3 semesters. I am not sure how to incorporate this situation into my application without it coming across like a pity party so not sure I can explain my low grades to adcoms.

My redeeming portion of my application is my DAT- 25 AA with nothing under 20. However, I do not know if this is sufficient.

I have decent extracurriculars and good LOR's. I think my PS is strong and will continue to work on it and have people review it in the summer too. I am pretty good at interviews as far as I can tell from past experiences.

I am taking 2 more science classes next semester so am hoping for maybe post-decmeber acceptances after sending an academic update. I plan to apply to all 3 texas schools and some out of state as well. Do I still have a shot? Or should I hold off and apply next cycle?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I got into 2 schools with very similar stats. Just finished my second semester of my D1 year — have a higher GPA in dental school than undergrad. Apply extremely broadly if you can afford it, I’m saying 15+ schools, and you have a chance. Apply within the first 2-3 weeks of the new cycle.

Good luck!

I got into 2 schools with very similar stats. Just finished my second semester of my D1 year — have a higher GPA in dental school than undergrad. Apply extremely broadly if you can afford it, I’m saying 15+ schools, and you have a chance. Apply within the first 2-3 weeks of the new cycle.

Good luck!

So good to hear! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply smart and broad and you’ll definitely get in. Obviously some schools probably wont accept you, but many will.

OP, in regards to your personal situations I would discuss that in your personal statement. It'll be something different to read. Then, you can discuss how you knew you needed to perform better to show your academic abilities and that's how you killed the DAT. Best of luck. I'm rooting for you.

Play on your strengths. Some people need to take a step back and look at the reality that their stats are too low, but you have a great DAT score. Even though your gpa is on the lower end, the DAT is to help show the admissions that we do know our stuff and can learn well if we put the dedication. Explain to them why your gpa is the way it is. People would put the label "pity story" because they haven't gone through your situation. Get rid of that mindset and tell the world/admission your story. You may want to look up the schools and see which one favors DAT scores over gpa, but that is an advice I would not follow myself hahaha. As what most SDNers will ask... Will you want to potentially miss a year of income as a dentist because you decided not to apply one year? Will you regret your decision later on? At some point luck is involved and you want to stack yourself with the greatest chance to get in. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user