WAMC 2022-2023 Cycle (I'm losing some hope so I'd love any input!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willaoakley

Reaction score
Date of submission: June 18, 2022
Overall GPA: 3.34
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
Bio: 3.10, Chem: 2.61, Physics: 4.00
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
18 AA, 23 PAT, 21 QR, 18, RC, Bio 18, GC 18, OC 17, TS 18
State of Residence: Louisiana

Undergrad Attended: LSU
Major: Biological Sciences
Minor: Communication Studies
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes/No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100+ hours (general)
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours (community outreach)
Employment: 1500+ hours (dental assistant)
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Served as LSU's Pre-Dental Society Vice President (junior year) and President (senior year). Went on a medical mission trip in 2019 to Honduras for a week.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List (2020), President's Honor Roll (2020)
LOR type and strength: 2 science profs (both strong), 1 dentist (strong), 1 dental anthropology professor (mediocre)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Currently in a Medical Science masters program at Mississippi College and my current GPA there is a 3.56.

School list:

A.T Stills - Arizona (supplemental completed 8/29)
A.T. Stills - Missouri (supplemental complete 8/29)
Creighton (supplemental completed 8/11)
LECOM (supplemental completed 6/25)
LSU (did not receive supplemental app)
Midwestern - Arizona (supplemental completed 7/9)
Midwestern - Illinois (supplemental completed 7/8)
Nova (denied 09/20)
Roseman (kira taken on 8/10)
UL (supplemental completed 9/12)
Tufts (supplemental completed 6/22)
UDM (have not received anything yet)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Will be honest, your GPA and low DAT score may not make you super competitive so it's possible you won't hear back for a while until later in this cycle. Do you know your BCP GPA? It's not the GPAs individually, it's calculated for you, you can find it on your AADSAS report if you download your app from the "Check Status" page and scroll down to see all the different calculated GPAs (it's near the bottom).

It sounds like you have great EC's so I wouldn't say that's hurting your application. Have you thought about retaking the DAT? An 18AA is pretty low compared to those that matriculate (around 20AA), but it's not impossible to get an offer from what I have seen on here. If you can get a stronger DAT score with a higher total science and academic average I'd say your chances will be much higher. My concern is admissions will see your low science GPA and then see your 18 total science score and be concerned you wouldn't be able to handle the course load.

Have you contacted LSU about receiving your supplemental?

Just be patient! Your time will come, wishing you the best of luck!

Last edited:
Date of submission: June 18, 2022
Overall GPA: 3.34
Science GPA: 3.08
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: Bio: 3.10, Chem: 2.61, Physics: 4.00
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 18 AA, 23 PAT, 21 QR, 18, RC, Bio 18, GC 18, OC 17, TS 18
State of Residence: Louisiana

Undergrad Attended: LSU
Major: Biological Sciences
Minor: Communication Studies
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes/No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100+ hours (general)
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours (community outreach)
Employment: 1500+ hours (dental assistant)
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Served as LSU's Pre-Dental Society Vice President (junior year) and President (senior year). Went on a medical mission trip in 2019 to Honduras for a week.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List (2020), President's Honor Roll (2020)
LOR type and strength: 2 science profs (both strong), 1 dentist (strong), 1 dental anthropology professor (mediocre)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Currently in a Medical Science masters program at Mississippi College and my current GPA there is a 3.56.

School list:
A.T Stills - Arizona (supplemental completed 8/29)
A.T. Stills - Missouri (supplemental complete 8/29)
Creighton (supplemental completed 8/11)
LECOM (supplemental completed 6/25)
LSU (did not receive supplemental app)
Midwestern - Arizona (supplemental completed 7/9)
Midwestern - Illinois (supplemental completed 7/8)
Nova (denied 09/20)
Roseman (kira taken on 8/10)
UL (supplemental completed 9/12)
Tufts (supplemental completed 6/22)
UDM (have not received anything yet)
why did you take so long to complete supplementals?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will be honest, your GPA and low DAT score may not make you super competitive so it's possible you won't hear back for a while until later in this cycle. Do you know your BCP GPA? It's not the GPAs individually, it's calculated for you, you can find it on your AADSAS report if you download your app from the "Check Status" page and scroll down to see all the different calculated GPAs (it's near the bottom).

It sounds like you have great EC's so I wouldn't say that's hurting your application. Have you thought about retaking the DAT? An 18AA is pretty low compared to those that matriculate (around 20AA), but it's not impossible to get an offer from what I have seen on here. If you can get a stronger DAT score with a higher total science and academic average I'd say your chances will be much higher. My concern is admissions will see your low science GPA and then see your 18 total science score and be concerned you wouldn't be able to handle the course load.

Have you contacted LSU about receiving your supplemental?

Just be patient! Your time will come, wishing you the best of luck!
BCP GPA: 3.16

I have taken the DAT three times already: 1st time: 15AA 13TS PAT23. 2nd time: 17AA, 17TS, 20 PAT
I have not considered retaking again unless it was my only choice left to improve my application for the next cycle.

Yes, I am a reapplicant. I applied during the 2020 cycle and 2021 cycle. Since then, I have received an EDDA (expanded duty dental assistant through LSU's health program) certification and I am in a Medical Science master's program since Jan 2022 (graduating May 2023).

I have not, but I believe LSU has a cutoff at 19AA.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
BCP GPA: 3.16

I have taken the DAT three times already: 1st time: 15AA 13TS PAT23. 2nd time: 17AA, 17TS, 20 PAT
I have not considered retaking again unless it was my only choice left to improve my application for the next cycle.

Yes, I am a reapplicant. I applied during the 2020 cycle and 2021 cycle. Since then, I have received an EDDA (expanded duty dental assistant through LSU's health program) certification and I am in a Medical Science master's program since Jan 2022 (graduating May 2023).

I have no, but I believe LSU has a cutoff at 19AA.

Thank you so much!
what is your gpa in the masters?

I'm currently in Vertebrate Histology and Medical Microbiology. Next semester, which will be my last semester, I will be taking Gross Anatomy.
get as close to a 4.0 as you can this semester
update the schools
you could possibly get some interviews later in the cycle...