WAMC Looking for some direction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist221

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: 09/07/2021

Overall GPA: 3.3

Science GPA: 3.0

DAT score (include AA and all sections): 18 AA, 17 Bio, 14 Orgo, 13 Gen chem, 15TS 28 RC, 18 QR, 19 PAT

State of Residence: VA

Major: Global Health

Minority? Yes, Middle Eastern

Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 450 hours shadowing and volunteer assisting

Employment: Full time throughout college to support family

Research: n/a

Other Extracurriculars: Just 36+ hours a week of work, shadowing, and personal hobbies in remaining free time

Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list for the second half of undergrad

LOR type and strength: Strong letters from 2 Bio instructors and 1 from teacher in major and 1 from general dentist who I shadowed with the majority of the time

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Drastic upward trend for GPA in college, strong personal statement, immigrant minority grew up underprivileged.

School list:

Howard - dream school

VCU

Meharry

WVU

NYU

Rutgers

Just took my DAT and got my unofficial score feeling extremely discouraged

Members don't see this ad.

unfortunately you will have to retake your DAT, most schools' cutoffs for each section are a 16 minimum. Everything else with your background and hours will help your app a lot but to even be considered you'll need to meet those cutoffs. your gpa is doable but you could also consider a post-bacc to continue that upward trend and be more competitive. good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Date of submission: 09/07/2021

Overall GPA: 3.3

Science GPA: 3.0

DAT score (include AA and all sections): 18 AA, 17 Bio, 14 Orgo, 13 Gen chem, 15TS 28 RC, 18 QR, 19 PAT

State of Residence: VA

Major: Global Health

Minority? Yes, Middle Eastern

Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 450 hours shadowing and volunteer assisting

Employment: Full time throughout college to support family

Research: n/a

Other Extracurriculars: Just 36+ hours a week of work, shadowing, and personal hobbies in remaining free time

Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list for the second half of undergrad

LOR type and strength: Strong letters from 2 Bio instructors and 1 from teacher in major and 1 from general dentist who I shadowed with the majority of the time

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Drastic upward trend for GPA in college, strong personal statement, immigrant minority grew up underprivileged.

School list:

Howard - dream school

VCU

Meharry

WVU

NYU

Rutgers

Just took my DAT and got my unofficial score feeling extremely discouraged
You will need to retake your DAT as your TS/science scores are too low and coupled with your GPAs, do not showcase you as a strong student who will do well in dental school. It is also pretty late in the cycle to apply, so I'd suggest preparing to reapply next year with an informal post-bacc to raise your GPAs (take upper division science courses) and a DAT retake and apply in June.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that I will take the DAT again while it is still fresh in my mind after the 90 day mandatory waiting period. I also am leaning toward retaking some of the sciences that I got low grades in as an informal post bacc

Reactions: 1 user
I think that I will take the DAT again while it is still fresh in my mind after the 90 day mandatory waiting period. I also am leaning toward retaking some of the sciences that I got low grades in as an informal post bacc
Sounds like a plan. Also keep in mind that AADSAS does not do grade replacement - your old grade and your new grade will be averaged so it may not raise your GPA as much as you would hope. And I think doing well in classes you haven't taken looks better than doing well when you've already seen the material before.

Those low DAT subscores worry me, even if you're trying to go for the HBCU dental schools. Have you reached out to them? Pay attention to the cutoffs they have for the DAT.

I will focus on taking it again and getting a respectable score first. If I do get a competitive score the second time in early Dec, will applying to schools that have an very late deadline (like Howard which is Feb 1) be a waste of time/money?

I will focus on taking it again and getting a respectable score first. If I do get a competitive score the second time in early Dec, will applying to schools that have an very late deadline (like Howard which is Feb 1) be a waste of time/money?
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take...but yeah its pretty late at that point.

might be worth it, might not be. depends how much time and money you got

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take...but yeah its pretty late at that point.

might be worth it, might not be. depends how much time and money you got
Would it hurt my chances the next cycle if I take a shot at some schools?

I'd definitely retake the DAT! Those science scores are concerning. How did you study? Definitely look into DAT Destroyer and Booster for your prep. Anything can happen so I wont necessarily say all hope is lost for this cycle, but id really focus on doing well in your next attempt and applying early next cycle