Just over 2 months until my retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Son of Zeus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a 503 (126/127/125/125) the first time I took the MCAT last month, and I'm trying to put together a study plan for the next 2 months. My previous study routine consisted primarily of The Berkeley Review, UWorld, & the AAMC practice materials.

Is there a good 2 month study plan out there? Which do you recommend?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you provide more information about how you prepared the first time? Like length of time preparing, did you complete TBR/UWorld/AAMC materials, what were your practice exam scores, was your first mcat score similar to the practice scores, if so how will you do things differently to ensure a difference outcome?

Reactions: 1 user
Can you provide more information about how you prepared the first time? Like length of time preparing, did you complete TBR/UWorld/AAMC materials, what were your practice exam scores, was your first mcat score similar to the practice scores, if so how will you do things differently to ensure a difference outcome?

I began studying in TBR January of this year with their 14-week study program. My original exam date was in March, but due to COVID-19 it was cancelled and rescheduled for late April which was also cancelled. I then rescheduled for late May which, you guessed it, was canceled. I was finally able to take the exam on the 28th of June. At that point I had been studying 30 hours a week for almost 6 months. My primary resource was TBR, Khan academy for things I needed more help on, and UWorld & AAMC for practice problems. For Psych, I used Mile Down's Anki deck.

2/14: AAMC FL 1 498
3/14: TPR sample 498
4/28: NextStep sample 500
6/6: AAMC Sample 503
6/16: AAMC FL 2 503
6/20: AAMC FL 3 502
6/28: Actual exam 503 (126/127/125/125)

How will I do things differently? I'm going to rely more on practicing outside of TBR mainly with UWorld & AAMC. I am also going to use more video resources because I cannot spent hours on end reading a textbook, looking back at it I wish I had done this the first time.

My personal life has not made this easy, and the fact that I had to reschedule so many times completely threw off my study schedule. I need to do something different, and need advice on what others have done.

Thank you

Setting the foundation” – Our lesson on free call can begin to lay a new foundation your approach to the MCAT.

The practice passage(s) which we complete together during this session will be an opportunity to drive home the foundational MCAT strategy: MAPPING

My version of MCAT passage mapping is down below so you can try everything I used to get a 515 first time as a post-bacc with a 2.9 GPA (Med student now!).

We can talk about focused Informational and Experimental/Research passage type which are the most common passage types in the C/P and B/B section respectively. I have included a summary of the specific strategies that I use below [How to Approach Experimental Design Passages and Understanding MCAT Science Passage Types].

Since you are a retaker, I can show you my Full Length REDO-REVIEW Strategy.
Here is how you can do it using AAMC FL 1:

1. AAMC gives you unlimited attempts on the FL exams, so open up a new attempt that is UNTIMED. Proceed to complete the first 15-25 questions. Try and take your time and give it your best on these attempts. Try and use the strategies listed below on any passages.

2. After you finish the set of 15-25 questions, record your answers on a piece of paper, and then open back up the version of FL that you did this week. Now, start the process of reviewing the answers. This time you will be comparing the answers that you put down on the paper to the answers that you originally answered the first time you did the exam. Only review question you got wrong both times.

3) the questions you get wrong twice and pick the same answer - content issue.

4) the questions you get wrong twice and pick different answers - passage comprehension problem
4. REPEAT THIS PROCESS: Break up your review of the section into 15-25 question sections.

Here is a near too to track everything:

• HOW TO USE THE MCAT FL EXAM REVIEW TOOL:
1. The google sheet will allow you to easily catalog each passage based on its subject and the passage topic (according to the AAMC Content Catalog Tag).
2. The drop down menu includes a list of the content catalog tags/topic area. You can fill in the “Topic” column by:
▪ Typing the content catalog tag into the cell which will produce all the MCAT Topic areas that share that tag after which you can click on the one that you’d like to use or
▪ You can also navigate the drop down menu using your mouse as well.

UNDERSTANDING MCAT SCIENCE PASSAGE TYPES:
1. Informational Passage: Either a straightforward presentation of scientific information or a description of a physical phenomenon
▪ Identify the main topic based on the background paragraph
▪ What are they trying to focus on?
▪ How are they measuring the phenomenon or the scientific information they are giving
▪ Confirm the trend line / sanity check/ inputextremes
2. Experimental/Research Passage: The passage presents a main concept of interest, a hypothesis that will be investigated, independent variables that affect the outcome/dependent variable.
3. Persuasive Reasoning Passage: Present a scientific phenomenon along with a hypothesis that explains the phenomenon. Questions associated with these passages will ask you to evaluate the hypothesis presented in the passage against any data that is presented in the passage or any relevant physical/physiological laws/principles that you know.
• REVIEW: How to Approach Experimental Design Passages
1. What is the main topic (i.e. enzyme/biological process/chemical process/cellular process/physical phenomenon) that the researcher/passage is interested in exploring?
2. What outcome/dependent variable is the researcher interested in observing?
3. How is the researcher going to measure the outcome/dependent variable?
4. What enzyme/biological process/chemical process/cellular process CAUSES the outcome/dependent variable of interest?
5. What independent variable(s) is the researcher interested in examining?
6. What is the effect of the independent variable(s) have on the passage’s main idea (enzyme/biological process/chemical process/cellular process/physical phenomenon)?
▪ Sanity check**
• UNDERSTANDING MCAT SCIENCE PASSAGE TYPES:
1. Informational Passage: Either a straightforward presentation of scientific information or a description of a physical phenomenon
▪ Identify the main topic based on the background paragraph
▪ What are they trying to focus on?
▪ How are they measuring the phenomenon or the scientific information they are giving
▪ Confirm the trend line / sanity check/ inputextremes
2. Experimental/Research Passage: The passage presents a main concept of interest, a hypothesis that will be investigated, independent variables that affect the outcome/dependent variable.
3. Persuasive Reasoning Passage: Present a scientific phenomenon along with a hypothesis that explains the phenomenon. Questions associated with these passages will ask you to evaluate the hypothesis presented in the passage against any data that is presented in the passage or any relevant physical/physiological laws/principles that you know.
• COMMON PASSAGE PATTERNS: EXPERIMENTAL/RESEARCH PASSAGES
1. Researcher is interested in studying a cellular process that REQUIRE INPUT FROM THE EXTERNAL ENVIROMENT. Research provides the cell with a tagged (ex: radiolabeled) nutrient which the cell will take up and process through the cellular process of interest. This experimental set up will determine the rate of the intracellular process by measure rate the cell takes up the labeled nutrient. CONCENTRATION OF TAGGED NUTRIENT IS INVERVERSLY RELATED TO THE RATE AT WHICH THE INTRACELLULAR PROCESS OF INTEREST OCCURS
2. Output first: Researcher is interested in studying a cellular process that PRODUCES A KNOWN BYPRODUCT. The rate of the intracellular process of interest is directly proportional to the rate of byproduct production. In this experimental design the researcher will measure the rate of byproduct production (ex: through fluoresce or accumulation of a metabolite of the main byproduct) in order to estimate the rate of the cellular process of interest and in order to understand how various independent factor affect the cellular process. CONCENTRATION OF TAGGED NUTRIENT IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE RATE AT WHICH THE INTRACELLULAR PROCESS OF INTEREST OCCURS
3. Mutant cell lines and knockout mice:
▪ A common experimental design utilizes mutant cell lines that lack the DNA sequence necessarily to produce biomolecules of interest (e.g.: proteins, enzymes/receptors/regulatory elements). In this research set-up, the independent variables are represented by the various mutant lines or knock out mice lines. A researcher will then compare the outcome/dependent variable in wild-type/control and various mutant strains (independent variables). Any difference can therefore be attributed to the biomolecule (e.g.: proteins, enzymes/receptors/regulatory elements) which has been deleted from knock-out mice line or mutant cell line.
4. Understanding how missense mutations can affect the structure and function of a protein by substituting a new amino acids that has different biochemical properties than the wild-type amino acid
▪ The MCAT often likes to present passage that test your ability to understand how differences in amino acid properties (e.g. charge, polarity, hydrophobicity, reactivity, etc.) can disrupt protein folding stability, inhibit activity at key protein sites (active site, allosteric site, binding site etc.).
▪ Attacking this passage type requires a strong knowledge of amino acids, protein structure and function, enzyme kinetics and thermodynamics.
5. Applying Biochemistry lab techniques to tackle experimental design passages
▪ Experimental design passages often utilize biochemistry lab techniques to measure outcomes/dependent variables of interest. It is therefore HIGH YIELD to be proficient in biochemistry lab techniques
▪ The MCAT will challenge whether or not you understand the key biochemistry principle that underlies each lab technique (Cation exchange, Gas Chromatography, Western Blot, ELISA etc) and whether you can apply that knowledge to interpret the measurement of the passage’s dependent variable.
▪ PLEASE INDEPDENDENTLY REVIEW BIOCHEMISTRY LAB TECHNIQUES AND CHEMISTRY SEPARATION TECHNIQUES. We can schedule a biochemistry lab technique tutoring session if needed.
6. Disruptions to any closed biochemical process (build up and decrease relative to the blockage) - will discuss further during BIOCHEMISTRY: METABOLISM REVIEW
7. Understanding the steps in a biological process: Example DNA replication to protein folding – what techniques/approaches can you use to experimentally evaluate each step along the way.
▪ DNA probes are commonly used to CONFIRM the presence of a specific genomic sequence within a sample. NOTE: This doesn’t mean that the gene of interest is expressed, only confirms it’s presence in the genome of the cell of interest.
▪ Gene expression can approximated by measuring the amount of gene specific mRNA available within a cell à Northern Blot
▪ Determining protein expression and quantification
• Western Blot
• Gel Electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE or SDS-PAGE w/ reducing agent)
• ELISA
o Direct ELISA
o Indirect ELISA
• CATION/ANION EXCHANGER
• Gas/Liquid/High Pressure chromatography

This seems very helpful and is certainly going to be something that I try.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple thoughts:
- Your mcat score is incredibly even and consistent with your practice test scores. The challenge here is that instead of needing to focus on one or two sections, you have to focus on all four. Unfortunately, sub 127 scores indicate gaps in content knowledge. PS is probably the most accessible section but CP and BB are going to take quite a bit of time.
- Reading/watching videos is a relatively low yield form of preparation as it is mostly passive. To get the most out of your time you need to transition that to more active forms of learning: story telling, drawing concept maps from memory, repeating things from memory, etc.
- Passage practice is essential. TBR is a good resource for CP and some BB. UWorld is also a great resource especially for PS.
- With a two month time frame, you're really going to have to prioritize the content you review. You're unlikely to have enough time to thoroughly review everything. Instead, focus on the high yield things first and gradually move down to the less emphasized things. Pretty much everything in biochemistry is high yield.
- Anki is a good tool for memorization but remember, the MCAT is a reasoning test so don't get too bogged down in memorization.
- As much as possible, simulate real testing conditions: practice mcat should be timed, in an unfamiliar place (if possible in light of covid). UWorld works were as a tool to simulate half mcat exams (2 sections with a 10 minute break).
- As you review your practice exams, make flash cards of each thing you miss. Review things cards each morning/evening for 20 minutes.
- On AAMC FL exams, for any question that you miss, write down the concept and thoroughly review that concept - even if it was a simple mistake.

A two month time frame is pretty tight. With a 503, you need to gain at least 5 points on your exam for it to improve you odds at an admission and to make a second attempt worth it. Anything less than that, and it will be seen as further support the validity of your first score. Good luck to you!

A couple thoughts:
- Your mcat score is incredibly even and consistent with your practice test scores. The challenge here is that instead of needing to focus on one or two sections, you have to focus on all four. Unfortunately, sub 127 scores indicate gaps in content knowledge. PS is probably the most accessible section but CP and BB are going to take quite a bit of time.
- Reading/watching videos is a relatively low yield form of preparation as it is mostly passive. To get the most out of your time you need to transition that to more active forms of learning: story telling, drawing concept maps from memory, repeating things from memory, etc.
- Passage practice is essential. TBR is a good resource for CP and some BB. UWorld is also a great resource especially for PS.
- With a two month time frame, you're really going to have to prioritize the content you review. You're unlikely to have enough time to thoroughly review everything. Instead, focus on the high yield things first and gradually move down to the less emphasized things. Pretty much everything in biochemistry is high yield.
- Anki is a good tool for memorization but remember, the MCAT is a reasoning test so don't get too bogged down in memorization.
- As much as possible, simulate real testing conditions: practice mcat should be timed, in an unfamiliar place (if possible in light of covid). UWorld works were as a tool to simulate half mcat exams (2 sections with a 10 minute break).
- As you review your practice exams, make flash cards of each thing you miss. Review things cards each morning/evening for 20 minutes.
- On AAMC FL exams, for any question that you miss, write down the concept and thoroughly review that concept - even if it was a simple mistake.

A two month time frame is pretty tight. With a 503, you need to gain at least 5 points on your exam for it to improve you odds at an admission and to make a second attempt worth it. Anything less than that, and it will be seen as further support the validity of your first score. Good luck to you!

I appreciate it

If I am taking practice exams a few weeks before and am still in the 503 range should I bother retaking it? I definitely do not want to retake and do worse.

I appreciate it

If I am taking practice exams a few weeks before and am still in the 503 range should I bother retaking it? I definitely do not want to retake and do worse.
If you’re not scoring 510+ I would not retake the exam.

Reactions: 1 user