Just realized I got a C- in a prereq years ago, do I need to retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yourse1f

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently a senior predental student and made the silly mistake of just realizing I got a C- in my orgo 2 lab. The class is 1 credit, but I understand a C- in a prereq is not passing for many/all dental schools. I am on my last semester of university and I am wondering if I am going to have to pay for a whole other semester to retake a 1 credit lab. This class was a part of a really bad semester of mine at the beginning of sophomore year, but since then I've had a strong upward trend of straight A's and 1 B. Really hoping I can get away with not retaking and getting into some schools in the next application cycle, but I don't want to waste a bunch of money on applications as well just to be auto rejected. Thoughts and/or advice?

As an aside, my university required us to have pass/fail when the pandemic first hit and therefore I had to do pass for gen chem 2 and gen chem 2 lab. if I have to do another semester for the orgo lab should I retake the gen chem classes to get a letter grade?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am currently a senior predental student and made the silly mistake of just realizing I got a C- in my orgo 2 lab. The class is 1 credit, but I understand a C- in a prereq is not passing for many/all dental schools. I am on my last semester of university and I am wondering if I am going to have to pay for a whole other semester to retake a 1 credit lab. This class was a part of a really bad semester of mine at the beginning of sophomore year, but since then I've had a strong upward trend of straight A's and 1 B. Really hoping I can get away with not retaking and getting into some schools in the next application cycle, but I don't want to waste a bunch of money on applications as well just to be auto rejected. Thoughts and/or advice?

As an aside, my university required us to have pass/fail when the pandemic first hit and therefore I had to do pass for gen chem 2 and gen chem 2 lab. if I have to do another semester for the orgo lab should I retake the gen chem classes to get a letter grade?
you should fill out a full WAMC template...

you should fill out a full WAMC template...
but he isn't asking about his chances.
Hello all,

retake orgo 2
dont retake gen chem 2 classes

Members don't see this ad :)
but he isn't asking about his chances.
"Really hoping I can get away with not retaking and getting into some schools in the next application cycle, but I don't want to waste a bunch of money on applications as well just to be auto rejected."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

Hi OP, what's your GPA? in order to evaluate you as a competitive applicant or not, your application is evaluated in a holistic manner. If your GPA is solid, why do you think they will automatically reject you for just one lab. The majority of schools require a letter C or better in the prerequisits. My suggestion is to contact your top choice school and ask if this would really make a difference but for now, focus on getting a good DAT score and complementing your extracurricular activities and achievements.

Your second question is concerning the Pass/Fail of your classes during the pandemic. Most if not all the programs are aware of this situation and will not penalize candidates for circumstances that are out of their control but again if it's bothering you please add this question to your list when you contact your top choice school.

Again, for now, I would really focus on DAT and extracurriculars. If your GPA is not where it needs to be, it might be helpful to take a higher-level science course, for example, Virology, Oral Pathology, Cell Biology, and this will help your GPA and compensate the C you got on a one-credit lab.

Best of Luck!!

Hi OP, what's your GPA? in order to evaluate you as a competitive applicant or not, your application is evaluated in a holistic manner. If your GPA is solid, why do you think they will automatically reject you for just one lab. The majority of schools require a letter C or better in the prerequisits. My suggestion is to contact your top choice school and ask if this would really make a difference but for now, focus on getting a good DAT score and complementing your extracurricular activities and achievements.

Your second question is concerning the Pass/Fail of your classes during the pandemic. Most if not all the programs are aware of this situation and will not penalize candidates for circumstances that are out of their control but again if it's bothering you please add this question to your list when you contact your top choice school.

Again, for now, I would really focus on DAT and extracurriculars. If your GPA is not where it needs to be, it might be helpful to take a higher-level science course, for example, Virology, Oral Pathology, Cell Biology, and this will help your GPA and compensate the C you got on a one-credit lab.

Best of Luck!!
Hi thanks for such a thorough reply! My BCP gpa is a 3.33 and my science gpa is a 3.46 before doing the retake. I contacted my top school and they suggest I retake. So, I registered to retake the lab next semester and the DAT. My only fear is that I’m taking the lab on it’s own so it doesn’t fit the “rigorous schedule” I know schools look for. I really wish I would’ve noticed it sooner since I could’ve taken it this semester but can’t change the past unfortunately. My plan is to definitely focus on doing the best that I can on the DAT and acing the lab again and hope that’s enough to get me in with the gpa that I have this coming cycle!

Check if schools require orgo 2 for admission
when I was applying, I am pretty sure orgo 2 was not required by most of the schools. I took them because I didn't know about it.
I realize I hadn't needed to take it after my friends told me about it