Just so that my girl is not kidding me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hermeone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note: my girl= my advisor

Is this alright? Quarter system

Finalized schedule

Intro to anatomy (5 credits)
Biochem(5 credits)
Philosophy (5 credits)
Advanced physiology and cell biology (5 credits)

She says the above are manageable.

Members don't see this ad.

I read your other posts and I realise you are having/dealing with depression.

I think you should drop one course.

Anybody agrees with me?

I think if it were *me* that would be a difficult course load, and *I'd* drop a class. I don't know if that is necessarily the best option for everyone.

Could you get the syllabus for each class first and then decide after you see what each class is going to expect from you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Beth_yu
I read your other posts and I realise you are having/dealing with depression.

I think you should drop one course.

Anybody agrees with me?

I agree. Drop the advanced physiology and cell biology course. Taking anatomy this semester and then physiology in the summer or fall is a good plan. It's what I'm doing.

By the way, 5 credits is a lot for each of those classes. In my school philosophy is 3 credits, and science classes are 3 credits without labs and 4 credits with them.

I'd drop the anatomy course. I have seen multiple medical schools that reiterate the fact that they look down upon people who take anatomy. However, the schools do look highly upon biochem/molecbio/physio courses; Even intro PChem courses are helpful.

Originally posted by MDTom
I'd drop the anatomy course. I have seen multiple medical schools that reiterate the fact that they look down upon people who take anatomy. However, the schools do look highly upon biochem/molecbio/physio courses; Even intro PChem courses are helpful.

Do they give a reason??? Or is it that they look down upon people who take anatomy im place of physio or biochem courses?

Originally posted by MNgrrl
Do they give a reason??? Or is it that they look down upon people who take anatomy im place of physio or biochem courses?

Eh... on second thought (did a google search for human anatomy and premed programs) its probably not such a bad thing. However, for all of the schools that I have applied for, they all recommended biochem, genetics, physio, additional statistics courses, but never mentioned anatomy. My assumption is that anatomy is not a bad choice, it's just that biochem/physio/moleccell/genetics would be looked upon more highly.

Probably drop Anatomy. At least that's what I'd do if I were in your position. My college actually has 5 credit science courses also. 3 for class and 2 for lab. My immuno last semester was actually 6 credits (3 and 3)... best of luck to you.

drop anatomy...no use for it on the mcat and you get all the anatomy you would ever want first year in med.

I agree with Jlee (as usual:D my friend)... drop anatomy. At my undergrad, premeds were discouraged from taking anatomy and it was mostly reserved for nursing majors and other pre-health professions students. An analogous class (something along the lines of an organismal biology course or comparative chordate anatomy course) might be fine, but I too think that anatomy won't really benefit you all that much in the long run. Even people who've had it it undergrad have to study it in med school b/c everything goes faster, there's more of it, and it's a lot more intense. It seems that finding a few anatomy terms familiar in first year med isn't really worth losing your sanity with a packed courseload now. Hope this helps!

how many courses do you guys take per year? i'm sketchy on all this quarter, semester, whatever system. at my school, you've got 2 terms. sept-dec for the first term. jan-apr for the second term. to be eligible for med school, you have to take 10 courses for the year. so that normally means that you take 5 courses per term. for example, i'm taking...

bio (full year course, 1st and 2nd term)
calc I (first term)
calc II (2nd term)
chem I (1st term)
chem II (2nd term)
physics I (1st term)
physics II (2nd term)
english (1st and 2nd term)

is this something normally taken by people? or is this more than what is usually taken?

Originally posted by Hermeone
Note: my girl= my advisor

Is this alright? Quarter system

Finalized schedule

Intro to anatomy (5 credits)
Biochem(5 credits)
Philosophy (5 credits)
Advanced physiology and cell biology (5 credits)

She says the above are manageable.

It really depends on how many "outside" stuff you're doing. You're volunteering/research/blah blah blah, it'll be too much. If not, 20 quarter units may be do-able, depending on whether your philosophy and intro anatomy will be hard or not. I assume that biochem and cell bio won't be easy, but they're more useful than anatomy.

what?!
that schedule is totally manageable unless there are huge outside time draws like a 40 hour work week or MCAT studying.
i *guess* the "premed" thing to do would be take easy classes and few of them to protect that precious GPA, but there's really no reason besides the above to think that's too much work.

At my school, we can attend the first week of classes and then drop classes at the end of the week with no consequences. Is this an option at your school? Prehaps you can try a week, collect the syllabi, and talk to the teachers about the course load. There's nothing worse than getting half way through the semester and realizing you're in over your head.

I've seen schools specfically recommend p-chem in their literature. This is a little baffling to me. P-chem seems completely unrelated to anything you would encounter in med school. In fact having an understanding of the basic concepts of p-chem really don't seem to offer any practical use whatsoever in everyday life.

R_C_Hutchinson

A lot of pre-med schedules are equivalent to a 40 hours work week. I did 40 hours a week of clinical volunteering/research/teaching while being a full-time student, along with spending time with friends and being in other studetn groups. That's a lot of stuff to take in one term, especially if you haven't had anything related to it before.

and besides hermione has said before that she was recently diagnosed w/depression and used to use large amts of schoolwork as a way to cover it. . .i would think that changing that pattern might take a lighter schedule?

I don't have a lot of things to do this quarter outside of school, just a few hours of volunteer work, two clubs to involve in (one meet every week, another one once in a blue moon), 2 research project that take me only 10 hours a week and a part time job as an electone music teacher to bring in extra income for tuition fee. This job as a music teacher is actually more like an entertainment to me.

I quit my other job already to deal with my problem.

In anatomy, I get to dissect a CAT. How interesting...(Now, don't you start telling me about all those human societies)

Thanks people.

Originally posted by R_C_Hutchinson
what?!
that schedule is totally manageable unless there are huge outside time draws like a 40 hour work week or MCAT studying.
i *guess* the "premed" thing to do would be take easy classes and few of them to protect that precious GPA, but there's really no reason besides the above to think that's too much work.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Seriously. If you can't handle those 4 classes at once, you won't like med school. :p There sure aint no "poetry for peons" class in med school to help "lighten the load"! :laugh:

Originally posted by jlee9531
drop anatomy...no use for it on the mcat and you get all the anatomy you would ever want first year in med.

exactly my thoughts. not that anatomy is "looked down upon" or not helpful - just that you need to focus more on getting A's and learning for the MCAT right now.

And each class you add, it becomes *exponentially* harder.

originally posted by some premed In fact having an understanding of the basic concepts of p-chem really don't seem to offer any practical use whatsoever in everyday life.

Umm I disagree - at least thermo has some concepts which i think useful. Also, learning excel, spreadsheets, and how to make a real graph was useful, if only as a side-product of the class.

Originally posted by size_tens
I've seen schools specfically recommend p-chem in their literature. This is a little baffling to me. P-chem seems completely unrelated to anything you would encounter in med school. In fact having an understanding of the basic concepts of p-chem really don't seem to offer any practical use whatsoever in everyday life.

Have you heard of Fick's Law of Diffusion? Perhaps enzyme kinetics rings a bell. What about MRIs? Nah... P-Chem has nothing to do with medicine. ;) :D